• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2

Neat!

At some point in time the OE hemi went BOOM, so mine's an "implant" '68 Hemi with a typical geared starter on it, so presume an aftermarket flywheel assembly is attached to it to run same. Makes it REALLLLY tight between terminal lugs and exhaust getting the cables onto it.

Yeah, not much room in there - especially when laying on your back! LOL

Not to veer off topic too far, but I love this video. At about 23:30, it sounds exactly like my car when Ronnie starts it up. Much different than the distinct classic Chrysler starter sound. The car in the video is identical to mine.

Yeah, not much room in there - especially when laying on your back! LOL

Not to veer off topic too far, but I love this video. At about 23:30, it sounds exactly like my car when Ronnie starts it up. Much different than the distinct classic Chrysler starter sound. The car in the video is identical to mine.

Yes, a direct drive Hemi 4 spd starter does have it's own distinct sound.

Tachometer installed.... and it works! THANKS @Bob Lynch
1966plysathp2ptc 013.jpg

Shift light is so bright it blinds you so need to leave the cap on it. All gauges and all lights are working!!
1966plysathp2ptc 017.jpg

I think I may know who my dearly departed Daughter got her OCD from.... 64BEL sharing these pictures of his unmolested car before restoration. So with that, I couldn't "leave it be".
1966plysathp2ptc 026.jpg

Main starter cable pulled out of one retainer clip to match OE. Managed to re and re that rear clip once more without breaking it.
1966plysathp2ptc 027.jpg

Removed the reverse wires from the transmission and feed them back around and under the column per OE.
1966plysathp2ptc 032.jpg

Remembered I had a couple of wiring loom clips on my spare 4 speed so grabbed one of those to retain the reverse switch wires on the transmission case.
1966plysathp2ptc 034.jpg

Over the top, down and around. JUST makes it still.
1966plysathp2ptc 036.jpg

As correct as I can get it, just need a cable holder bracket off the back of the engine head as was pointed out by RC.
1966plysathp2ptc 043.jpg

I don't have that bracket, so we're back into an old Beach tool box again.
1966plysathp2ptc 045.jpg

Mounting hole drilled 3/8".
1966plysathp2ptc 047.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Wayne. This is probably a dumb question regarding such a rare car, but are you going to keep the single reservoir master cylinder?

you should have let the momsbee. put the icing on!
LOL... stuff was a bit stiff in the can. I had to dip it as a chunk and scrape the excess off. Just looked at it while running through the shop and it dried nice and smooth!

I always like watching you work the details and the play by play are over the top. It’s the details that you provide that keep me thinking for my next projects repair, replace. Thanks for the details that you provide. Jesse

Plasti Dip dried overnight. Came out pretty good considering the dip condition.
1966plysathp2ptd 001.jpg

This is why gearwrenches were designed. What a spot to get a bolt started in the back of the head.
1966plysathp2ptd 004.jpg

And that's a final wrap on a starter cable installation. Thanks to everyone that helped get it correct!!!
1966plysathp2ptd 014.jpg

Original drivers tail light ready to come out. It looks nice enough with the lights off, but if you stare at it you can see the crack (black line)
1966plysathp2ptd 024.jpg

Same deal on the passenger side. Damn fine looking except for a crack that shows when lit. Suspect some turkeys pushed the car by the tail lights at some point, like you see them doing at Barrett Jackson!
1966plysathp2ptd 025.jpg

I could have just taken four screws out and removed the lens, but figure I'll do it right and check all the parts and polish the bezel.
1966plysathp2ptd 027.jpg

Now that's a clean, never damaged quarter panel.
1966plysathp2ptd 028.jpg

Entire quarter extension assembly with light housing and tail lamp lens.
1966plysathp2ptd 029.jpg

Four course thread screws go into the lens and the outer 4 screws that hold the lamp assembly to the quarter panel extension are fine thread.
1966plysathp2ptd 033.jpg

Quarter extension, light housing, old lens, foam seal and the black "paint" gasket.
1966plysathp2ptd 036.jpg

Last edited:
If it's off it gets polished. These were the easiest chrome parts I've ever tackled, but still took 30 minutes or so each.
1966plysathp2ptd 039.jpg

Do it once, do it right!
1966plysathp2ptd 041.jpg

New NOS lens into the housing assembly. Tip, put some spit on the screws before threading them into the plastic so they go in smooth and not with a chatter.
1966plysathp2ptd 044.jpg

Another angle shot of where it goes. 4 studs on the quarter panel extension go into those holes, then captive washer x 1/4" nuts (take a 7/16 deep socket)
1966plysathp2ptd 050.jpg

One tail light re and re done.
1966plysathp2ptd 055.jpg

Dat's better !
1966plysathp2ptd 057.jpg

Passenger side pulled out and then all the same work done on it and a new NOS lens installed.
1966plysathp2ptd 059.jpg

Ain't dat purdy !
1966plysathp2ptd 067.jpg

Both tail lights still work.
1966plysathp2ptd 073.jpg

Nice and clean.
1966plysathp2ptd 074.jpg

I guess it's the dreaded brake master cylinder next !

Last edited:
Were there gaskets between the fender and the fender extension?

After my leaking oil sender project on my 66 and putting the rear in my 67, my next one is a change of the master cylinders, wheel cylinders on my 66, flush lines with denatured alcohol and reinstall with DOT5. Maybe you’ll beat me to it and I’ll pick up some pointers.

Did you spray the reflective area of the housing, if so what did you use?
I am nervous about polishing plated pot metal, what polish did you use? Any recommendations on the procedure and how to?
Were there any fine lines in the plating?
Now you should be ready to get a 66-7 Charger and really show the world how to do trim on one of them!!!!

Did you spray the reflective area of the housing, if so what did you use?
I am nervous about polishing plated pot metal, what polish did you use? Any recommendations on the procedure and how to?
Were there any fine lines in the plating?
Now you should be ready to get a 66-7 Charger and really show the world how to do trim on one of them!!!!
Paint in the reflective area was there. Whether that's OE or the last guy dicking around I have no idea.

These needed nothing but a good buff out with Rouge. I think they may have been rechromed by the last owner when he had both bumpers done, but unsure. A couple places it needed some damn good pressure to clean up, but nothing drastic. Then a buff and a wipe with a micro cloth.

As for how too...lots of tutorials out there, I don't follow any of them! LOL Main thing you cut against the wheel direction and polish with the wheel direction AND HANG ON TIGHT !!!!

Paint in the reflective area was there. Whether that's OE or the last guy dicking around I have no idea.

These needed nothing but a good buff out with Rouge. I think they may have been rechromed by the last owner when he had both bumpers done, but unsure. A couple places it needed some damn good pressure to clean up, but nothing drastic. Then a buff and a wipe with a micro cloth.

As for how too...lots of tutorials out there, I don't follow any of them! LOL Main thing you cut against the wheel direction and polish with the wheel direction AND HANG ON TIGHT !!!!
Thanks, I am doing fairly well with stainless. Might try some pot metal that is not useable for the car.

Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today as well... 20 bucks from an hour down the road and hopefully it's the correct one to refurbish the OE master. Only one I've seen for sale the past 8 months, but hopefully this means I don't have to use the BREAK fluid piece from China.
rebuildkitformaster.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back