• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Coronet Deluxe

I got a tid bit farther today but unfortunately my trim was hiding a few surprises on the Drivers side. So if anybody can supply a patch panel rust free in the area in the photos let me know.

I did manage to completely finish the pass quarter though. I primed it for now until I start the actual body work. Now I have to finish the other side, put the trunk extension back in the pass side and put the cross rail in the back in.

0812121445.jpg

0812121445a.jpg

0812121013.jpg

Are you sure your new to this lol... I have to ask, anything new on the Hemi going in?

Great progress so far, to fix that one area I would make it from scratch, doesn't look too bad to fix. Just get some 18ga steel and cut a strip to fit and cut the rusty part out at the bodylines.

Ron 73 said:
Are you sure your new to this lol... I have to ask, anything new on the Hemi going in?

Not yet Ron, Its in the car and just needs to come out for paint and for me to paint the firewall. I am trying to get the rust knocked out so that with any luck i can get this thing ready for body work by this winter. I do intend to hear that thing run sometime this fall so keep tuned...we are getting there.

71ChallengerSE said:
Great progress so far, to fix that one area I would make it from scratch, doesn't look too bad to fix. Just get some 18ga steel and cut a strip to fit and cut the rusty part out at the bodylines.

I will probably toy with that except that look at the second photo down by the bottom. I need to re-construct that whole lower front quarter area and a patch would make that really simple and ensure it looks right. I am trying to do it cheaply but I still want it to look great when I get done. At least the Sherman panel i used on the other side is only $108. I may have to just order another one.

Yeah I know what you mean, I bought the sherman trunk extensions for my Dart because I just couldn't justify the AMD panel when I only needed a small piece. The sherman piece was junk and I had to cut and reshape it to fit and I still wasn't happy so I just made a new one from scratch. I think you could tackle that part with out a patch panel, save those pennies! You have the skills I know you do!

Yeah I think I will work on making the patches for the Drivers side tonight. Worse case scenario if I tack them in and it looks bad i can order the patch panel and cut that area out again. (not that I enjoy re-work). I do have to re-construct the trunk extension as well but I should be able to make the damaged portion out of flat sheet and I will have to get ingenious for making the beads.

I once read a post by a guy on another site(no idea where). He took an air chisel welded a acorn nut (round top nut) to the end with a washer on the back of the nut. The washer would stop the chisel/nut at the top of the steel and leave a perfect line in the shape of the round nut tip. So I will maybe give that a try. If it works I'll let ya guys know.

Yeah I think I will work on making the patches for the Drivers side tonight. Worse case scenario if I tack them in and it looks bad i can order the patch panel and cut that area out again. (not that I enjoy re-work). I do have to re-construct the trunk extension as well but I should be able to make the damaged portion out of flat sheet and I will have to get ingenious for making the beads.

I once read a post by a guy on another site(no idea where). He took an air chisel welded a acorn nut (round top nut) to the end with a washer on the back of the nut. The washer would stop the chisel/nut at the top of the steel and leave a perfect line in the shape of the round nut tip. So I will maybe give that a try. If it works I'll let ya guys know.

I saw the same post, pretty neat idea, I think it was on this site.

it was on this site.the guy was building an altered wheelbase from a 63 savoy 4-door.Lot of ingenuity on that build.

it was on this site.the guy was building an altered wheelbase from a 63 savoy 4-door.Lot of ingenuity on that build.

That sounds familiar..lots of intelligent folks on this site. I learn a lot on here.

Oh and FYI I got nothing done tonight since it clouded up and rained....Somebody come build me a garage!

Come on KB!! You sounds like a Swedish farmer, two weeks ago it was sunny and hot and that was not good working weather, now it is cloudy and it is still not good :icon_thumright:

I have been there, laying on gravel welding rust on my first Volvo and my father held an umbrella over me...

Keep up the work and we will soon be hearing of a HEMI terrorising the neighbourhood!

Come on KB!! You sounds like a Swedish farmer, two weeks ago it was sunny and hot and that was not good working weather, now it is cloudy and it is still not good :icon_thumright:

I have been there, laying on gravel welding rust on my first Volvo and my father held an umbrella over me...

Keep up the work and we will soon be hearing of a HEMI terrorising the neighbourhood!

Haha, its not worth welding in the rain. Besides I went out there looking at it today and I decided to buy the patch panel and just do it right. Its another $110 but so far I have less than 5k in this car so I might as well make it worth more :grin:

I did get my brake booster mocked into place tonight. Which FYI a 97 Jeep grand cherokee brake booster fits just barely in the stock location (its like 1/4" away from the inner fender). Its not bolt in but it wasn't too bad, I took off backing plate measured center of the existing hole, centered the new bolt pattern on that, drilled it, bolted it back on the car, drilled the holes and in it goes. Now I just gotta mark where on my pedal to either drill a hole for the mount or make a bracket.

Sorry no pics til my wife gets back with the real camera.

I got the drivers side quarter work started last night. Got a good start on the inner fender and hope to continue on it tonight. I've spent way too much money on parts this month and keep finding stuff....somebody pass me their winning lottery ticket :p

I should get some more done and hopefully get the outer skin tacked in place tonight. I'll throw up a few pictures once I get some more done and get the ones off my phone.

Well I got most of the drivers quarter work done today. I still have some additional patch to do just in front of where my panel stopped. I also have a thin spot to replace but other then that so far its turning out well.

I'll let the photos speak for me. Sorry about some of the blur but my phone camera is unhappy at night.

View attachment 0825121654.jpg

View attachment 0825121740.jpg

View attachment 0825121741.jpg

View attachment 0825121840.jpg

View attachment 0825121840a.jpg

View attachment 0825121840b.jpg

View attachment 0825122007.jpg

View attachment 0825122007a.jpg

I finished up some more of the work this morning. I pretty much only have to add the spotwelds on the lower pinch and the fender lip opening. I'll do those another day since its raining now. I am very happy to have this work behind me so I can more on to more fun stuff. I can't wait to see this thing with filler all smoothed out and ready for paint...but that won't be this year.

View attachment 0826120931.jpg

View attachment 0826120931a.jpg

View attachment 0826121106.jpg

View attachment 0826121106a.jpg

View attachment 0826121113.jpg

View attachment 0826121113a.jpg

View attachment 0826121113b.jpg

Impressive work, thanks for the update, I look for your updates every visit to the site.

that is a hard area to get smooth,but you did real good on it considering what you had to work with. Do you have/use a straight edge sander?

that is a hard area to get smooth,but you did real good on it considering what you had to work with. Do you have/use a straight edge sander?

No, I didn't use a sander, just my angle grinder and 90 deg die grinder. There is still no filler on either side of the car and I just primed it until i start that work (or have it started depending on costs here).

This side was considerably worse then i had anticipated so I am still please with how it came out and it should clean up well with a thin layer of filler. Which given me being a first time body guy I am satisfied with.

Haha, its not worth welding in the rain. Besides I went out there looking at it today and I decided to buy the patch panel and just do it right. Its another $110 but so far I have less than 5k in this car so I might as well make it worth more :grin:

I did get my brake booster mocked into place tonight. Which FYI a 97 Jeep grand cherokee brake booster fits just barely in the stock location (its like 1/4" away from the inner fender). Its not bolt in but it wasn't too bad, I took off backing plate measured center of the existing hole, centered the new bolt pattern on that, drilled it, bolted it back on the car, drilled the holes and in it goes. Now I just gotta mark where on my pedal to either drill a hole for the mount or make a bracket.

Sorry no pics til my wife gets back with the real camera.

Your doing a great job and you wont be sorry for this change, I did it on a car once, filler and all in primer but made up my mind,, then convinced my wife it would be the best option all the way around! Ordered a whole quarter skin and while i waited made it ready, never looked back or was sorry.. Continued good luck..

Auto Transport Service
Back