• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 B Body - Early vs Late Differences - CORONET Model

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
I’m posting this thread for discussion and documentation of body, trim, paint, interior, mechanical, etc production changes made during the 68 model year to Dodge Coronet R/Ts, 500s, Super Bees., etc.

Please keep this thread on topic to the 1968 CORONET model line

Example:

Early got Inland shifter / later got Hurst

What other differences are there?

Here’s a discussion on corresponding Plymouth’s regarding hood safety latch location. Wonder if it applies to the Coronet hoods as well.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/1968-1969-roadrunner-gtx-hoods.145580/page-2

Working on a one owner 68 R/T, 440/727 with a 9/29/67 spd. Purchased in Pa and has the large round air cleaner and not the typical smaller unsilenced housing.

The vent cables changed design from round knobs to rectangular knobs....
The seat belts changed from chrome buckles to black buckles...
The rear crossmember where the fuel filler passes through changed from round to oval...

The vent cables changed design from round knobs to rectangular knobs....
The seat belts changed from chrome buckles to black buckles...
The rear crossmember where the fuel filler passes through changed from round to oval...
I have an early build 69 super bee and it has the circular fuel filler hole

Early 68 style steering wheel center

upload_2021-1-12_10-27-54.jpeg

Later 68 style with pad

upload_2021-1-12_10-29-56.jpeg

The temp gauge also changed at some point.

The water temp reading markings were off on early cars

My car

upload_2021-1-31_15-24-13.jpeg

repro

upload_2021-1-12_10-35-27.jpeg

Later style

upload_2021-1-12_10-56-58.jpeg

I can’t recall which is early / late but think bottom is the later one.

I changed the order of the pics and added a pic of my 9 Sep 67 car.

Last edited:
The 150 speedo changed

Originally they had full numbers with zero

upload_2021-1-12_11-8-0.jpeg

But changed to drop the zeros. The top one with zeros was to busy to read is my guess. Mine is hard to read a glance while driving. My RT has the original top style.

upload_2021-1-12_11-9-1.jpeg

Also noticed on the same R/T mentioned earlier that the two holes in the pc board for the left and right signal bulbs just have black tape over them. It originally came with fender mounted indicators with the non-rallye 150 cluster. Was this normal in the early cars?

Anyone know about early 3 speed wipers?

I suspect early ones MAY have had the black and silver, Leece Neville. I don’t know this but am curious. If that’s true I wonder what the date change was.

Later the one we’re all used to seeing.

perhaps @1 Wild R/T knows. Did your car come with 3 speed wipers?

Working on a one owner 68 R/T, 440/727 with a 9/29/67 spd. Purchased in Pa and has the large round air cleaner and not the typical smaller unsilenced housing.

Did it have power brakes if so what did booster look like?

Also what wiper motor?

Can you share pics if you have?

air cleaner too please.

Also noticed on the same R/T mentioned earlier that the two holes in the pc board for the left and right signal bulbs just have black tape over them. It originally came with fender mounted indicators with the non-rallye 150 cluster. Was this normal in the early cars?

I wouldn’t have thought so, but maybe. Did it have the bullet shaped signals I assume?

Did it have power breaks if so what did booster look like?

Also what wiper motor?

Can you share pics if you have?

air cleaner too please.
I will try to get a pic of the air cleaner soon and post that as well. As far as I know the mc and wiper motor are original. Car and bay were repainted about 30 years ago.

20201129_142035.jpg

This is my original wiper motor when I got it back from Jules.. 9/11/67 SPD...

IMG_0054.JPG

And here it is still mounted to the car...

IMG_0120.JPG

I will try to get a pic of the air cleaner soon and post that as well. As far as I know the mc and wiper motor are original. Car and bay were repainted about 30 years ago.

View attachment 1053783

Much appreciated!

I hope they didn’t paint the cleaner the same as the rest of the underhood lol

Much appreciated!

I hope they didn’t paint the cleaner the same as the rest of the underhood lol
No, fortunately not. Still has the original wrinkle finish and pie tin. Dirty and worn, but still there.

Auto Transport Service
Back