• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 bengal charger

joshb1983

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
The BENGAL Charger is a rare species of Mopar history that was specifically built in 1968 to celebrate the Cincinnati Bengals first year in the American Football League. Its special order Tiger Orange paint and Bengal Stripes, combined with "BENGAL Charger" fender badges make it a truly unique car and an eye-catching crowd pleaser. Only 50 of these beauties were produced and there's only a couple that have been tracked down. Hopefully they survived and are in someone's garage.

Below is a brief history of how the Bengal Charger came to be...

Fifty "Bengal" Chargers were special ordered by Cincinnati Dodge dealer Tom Kneer to commemorate the Cincinnati Bengals' first year in the American Football League (AFL). All of the cars were painted "Tiger" orange and had black "Bengal" Stripes, black vinyl tops and black interiors. The cars were optioned with a variety of equipment.

As a devoted football fan, Tom Kneer was very excited to learn that his city would have an AFL expansion team beginning with the 1968 season. He decided to build a special car to celebrate the event. He envisioned mating the sleek new form of the '68 Charger with badgethe feline "Bengal" name and team colors - a match that couldn't miss.

Tom found out from Barry Buse (one of the team owners and a close friend) that the team's primary colors would be orange and black. In 1968, Orange paint was not available as an option on Chrysler Corporation passenger cars, so Tom selected an orange paint currently being used as a fleet color for Dodge trucks. The color he chose was originally developed for use on Michigan State Highway vehicles.

Tom contacted Chrysler with his request for orange cars. Chrysler told him that in order for them to build any cars with a special color, he would have to order a minimum of 50. He eventually agreed to special order 50 orange cars with an assortment of options. Most of the cars were equipped with a 318 or 383 engine. He had a few 6 cylinder cars built for [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]marketing[/FONT][/FONT] purposes and an estimated 10 - 12 R/Ts. Tom's dealership was having a hard time selling the Hemi option because of its high markup. For this reason, there are no Hemi Bengals.

Because Tom was purchasing so many cars, Chrysler agreed to throw in the black Sport Stripes for free. In 1968, Chrysler put Sport Stripes on the Charger R/T only. Since most of the Bengals were not R/Ts, obviously, an exception was made. For this reason and because they were free, the stripe does not appear on the broadcast sheet but instead was part of the special order processing along with the orange paint.

The [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]chrome[/FONT][/FONT] "BENGAL Charger" fender badges were made in Cincinnati and were mounted on the cars when they arrived at the dealership. they have found 3 that's survived so far
1968-dodge-charger-bengal_19028349.jpg
3721669713_0758252f0b_z.jpg
dodge-bengal-charger-emblem-1968_19036014.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

P005m5.jpg
th?id=H.4783963053884710&pid=15.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

index.php
index.php

- - - Updated - - -

th?id=H.4783963053884709&pid=15.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

bengal charger 8.jpg

bengal charger 8.jpg

Damn, that is cool! To bad no minnesotsa viking charger!

Mike

very cool

That's very cool... I'm not a big NFL Bengals fan, but I do love Chargers, especially 1968's & factory orange cars that aren't GL's... I've seen something on the history before, thanks for shairng...

josh cool thanks for sharing :headbang:

Cool story. I've never heard of those before but they do look nice.

I wonder if the same guy is responsible for the "Big Red Machine" 3rd gen Chargers that are associated with the Cincinnati Reds basball team. I've seen at least two, a 340 and I think a 383. They were red (duh) with a small rectangle badge in the fender or door.

I'd love to know more about those if anyone knows anything.

I would give just about anything to find one of those chargers. I first heard about them years ago and have always wanted one ever since.

Damn. Very cool. Think I found a perfect excuse to get another Charger... paint it black with silver trim, and a huge RAIDERS shield on the hood!

I knew about the Bengal Chargers,very cool! And I do cheer for the Bengals.But the Canadian plane in the background is almost too cool to believe?

Make that four bengal chargers!(found)
we have one =currently being restored.
Anyone know of the where abouts of fender badges?

I doubt it. Ive never even heard of a bengal charger package. I dont even recall this thread from 2 years ago. 25 years of carlisle. 25 years of reading anything and everything i can on the subject and this is the first im hearing of this. I love it

You might want to PM Propwash. He got some special emblems made for his Roadrunner build. I doubt you will find any originals around. Good luck.

Awesome thread! I've never heard of these either, they must be valuable as hell!

I was reading about someone who had a few sets of Bengal charger emblems if anyone knows who had them I would be interested in purchasing a set. PM/Conversation for contact as per site rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. Very cool. Think I found a perfect excuse to get another Charger... paint it black with silver trim, and a huge RAIDERS shield on the hood!
Naw, just black.....ghost the image.

Hi Sanford and polywideblock
Here's an update to that posting on DC.com that I posted on the "What have you done with your Charger lately?" forum.

Got a hold of some original '68 BENGAL Charger emblems for my Original '68 BENGAL car!!!
I have recently come back to the DodgeCharger.com because I have been seriously entertaining the idea of
finally restoring my '68 Bengal Charger I have owned for almost 40 years. I came across a post in a Bengal
Charger Forum topic from 2014 from aray17 that he had original emblems from the Tom Kneer dealership that
closed in the late 70's. Hemi-Hampton contacted him and bought 3 '72 Bengal emblems, and some guy from
Pennsylvania who made a '68 Bengal clone bought 2 of the '68's.
What are the chances of him still having the remaining 2 '68s??? I sent him a email last month and last
week I received 2 NEW '68 BENGAL Charger emblems to replace my originals!!!
Thanks again aray17 and DodgeCharger..com!
modify_inline.gif
index.php

028_opt2.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back