• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger has me stumped

Do you mean crank main bearing? That brings a little more the table, such as timing chain sprockets,etc.

Do you mean crank main bearing? That brings a little more the table, such as timing chain sprockets,etc.

I don't know who did the block set up, but supposedly by a shop that specializes in Mopar.

One symptom I forgot to mention is that it decelerates smoothly. No miss, no back fire. But that is also the time with the most vacuum. I have to try things when I get back.

Unless the distributor has been serviced, that much time could mean it needs it.
You say it advances okay, but you need an idea how much mechanical it's getting, to get timing squared away. Go into the distributor, pull the breaker plate, to look at the mechanical advance. You'll be able to tell if it needs cleaning/lubing, and an idea how much advance is there.

I think you should check that the balancer is correct at TDC, otherwise the timing is not what you believe it to be.
But this should have been done when the engine was assembled.

After double checking what I thought was everything I could check, a thought came about.
The history of the car is that it sat in a shed for the last twenty years and was started once in awhile.

What are the symptoms when the jets are plugged from ethanol tainted fuel?

What are the symptoms when the jets are plugged from ethanol tainted fuel?
Answer would be, what is clogging the jets, or any ports in the carb. Ethanol can eat at the insides of typical rubber hoses, clogging the system. Only cure is complete tear-down of carb, good cleaning, and replace EVERY piece of rubber hose in the system.
Gates makes a fuel injector hose, that holds up against ethanol.

Auto Transport Service
Back