• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

Well arrived home to find the old girl had been crying... she turn 49 tomorrow maybe she is sensitive to her age...

DSC_0390.jpg

Closer inspection I realized I used the larger Italian hose clamp on the lower hose and I could not get it tight enough. Installed the smaller hose clamp and dug out an old, old friend....

DSC_0391.jpg
DSC_0392.jpg
DSC_0393.jpg

Incredibly it still works (barely) but I could get 13lbs. Found the bypass hose leaked a bit so I snugged that one down. Went around and checked them all and give them a twist. I left the pressure on for an hour and it did not move. I think things are good.

I got out my spark tester and convinced myself that I had spark. Gas, spark, coolant, oil, trans fluid, PS fluid... what else does one need?

What the hay lets give it a whirl! The NOS starter drive has a bit of a slip to it in the beginning. It does not slip now.

Failure.....

Lets try again....

Not much better.... WTF......

Like on SpongeBob [One Hour Later....]

IT LIVES.....

Now guess what. It was dark and I melted the damn cable to the FiTech handheld on the manifold.... I quit for the night....

Congrats! Were the spark plug wires in the correct order?

I love the sound. Idles great!

Okay, I'll take loose distributor.

Okay. Not really stupid, just forgetful. On the first video I said to myself wires were not in correct order, or at least that was my first intuition.

Must feel pretty good to hear that rumble.

Everything is working except he PS pump. I have no pressure. I may have installed the impeller backwards.

Fixed my cable, the Plastidip is drying. Those are some FINE wires..... PS pump bums me out but I had this bad feeling about it from the moment I put it back together.... I knew I was forgetting some of the details on how it came apart.

Oh and it does go into drive and reverse as well so to first order the transmission is working.

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Now it is just a matter of shaking down random issues that pop up between drives.......and maybe get that glass in :)

On my first motor rebuild start up on my 62 it wouldn't fire worth a ****. After looking at everything 10 times, realized I had a Pertronix ignition for a 6 cylinder!!!!! Swapped in a set of points and it fired with a flip of the key.

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Now it is just a matter of shaking down random issues that pop up between drives.......and maybe get that glass in :)

On my first motor rebuild start up on my 62 it wouldn't fire worth a ****. After looking at everything 10 times, realized I had a Pertronix ignition for a 6 cylinder!!!!! Swapped in a set of points and it fired with a flip of the key.

Yup once I plugged in the other 4 wires it fired right up!

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Glass? I don't need no stinking glass......

Moron day #2. When you disassemble something put it back together correctly... All together now...

SPRING FIRST...

DSC_0398.jpg

VALVE SECOND

DSC_0399.jpg

NUT LAST....

DSC_0400.jpg

Power steering is working. I can tell I have a stage III Firm Feel. It is not the way I remember my Satellite! Take a bit of effort to turn, more like the rack and pinion Hondas we have....

The AC box control valves seem to be doing their job too!

I pumped up the coolant system to 7 lbs (all I could get with my old pump this morning). It was still 7 lbs when I got home this morning. I would say it is leak free!

Time to button up the AC system!

Auto Transport Service
Back