• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Plymouth GTX

I'll be at my shop today, I have an NOS mirror there for my 68 (got it over twenty years ago)... I'll take a picture & post it this evening..
Well, maybe tomorrow, it appears I moved it to my storage.. I hope...

Okay, I tried lowering the plastic tube protecting the cables and then wrapping the cables around the stud and down through the large hole.
That did allow it to fit on the car door and when I tested the remote adjuster, everything worked.
Certainly an odd design.

Went on a motorcycle ride to Yosemite Park last week.
There was a long tunnel through one mountain and this was the view when we came out.
Tunnel View Straight ahead.JPG

Came back and started correcting gaps, adjusting trunk lid and doors for fit. I marked the location of the door hinges and then removed one at a time and media blast them. Applied primer and then reinstalled them.
Door Hinges Primed.JPG

In the process of block sanding everything with 320 grit and then wet sanding with 600.
Hoping to get the body painted by the end of the month.

Need some help with this one.

These are the holes in my driver's door for mounting a remote control mirror.
View attachment 1453754

The large hole is for the cables, the next largest hole is for the stud.
The problem is the OER replacement mirror has them reversed.

View attachment 1453755

Then to top things off, the gasket they sent doesn't fit the mirror or the door.View attachment 1453756

I am going to contact them but thought I would post this just in case I am missing something?
My car has 4 driver holes and my mirror does not cover the top one (towards the front). Did you discover what the 4th hole was for?

Sprayed the interior metal today. This is one coat of color and one coat of clear since most of it will be covered anyway.
Firewall.JPG

By the way, the color is Frost Blue and looks much brighter in the sunlight than it does in the photos.
Passenger Side.JPG

Rear Floor Pan.JPG

Shot a coat of SPI white epoxy primer reduced 50% for a sealer:
White Epoxy Sealer 2.JPG

Followed that with 1 coat of base.
First Coat Color Sail Panel.JPG

First Coat Color Inner Fender.JPG

First Coat Color.JPG

First Coat Color Trunk.JPG

Plan is to shoot another coat tomorrow and then let it set, while I wait for my ordered supplies to get here.
Car will get 3 coats of color on the exterior, followed by at least as many coats of clear.

Shot a coat of SPI white epoxy primer reduced 50% for a sealer:
View attachment 1464253

Followed that with 1 coat of base.
View attachment 1464254

View attachment 1464255

View attachment 1464256

View attachment 1464257

Plan is to shoot another coat tomorrow and then let it set, while I wait for my ordered supplies to get here.
Car will get 3 coats of color on the exterior, followed by at least as many coats of clear.
What's the recoat window? Most are max 24 hours or less... Exceeding the window often leads to paint delaminating.. AKA peeling....

There isn't a stated amount of time on the Tech Sheet, however the plan is to spray another coat today and then when my clear coat arrives, I will denib and spray the final coat of color before moving on to the clear.

I have friends that do graphic work and they have let base coats set uncleared for many days, with no issues. Probably depends somewhat on the quality of the base coat being used as well.

Second coat of color:
Second Coat Color Sail Panel.JPG

Second Coat Color Quarter Panel Left.JPG

Second Coat Color.JPG

This stuff looks weird when you are spraying it. You have to trust your technique and stay consistent with your overlap.

I have enjoyed tagging along on your refurbishment project on the 68 but it kicked up a notch when I realized you were going with Frost Blue. Not one on my favorite blues, but also the factory color of my 68. I thought about going with QQ1, as was on the build sheet in my car but not for my car. Even B7 or possible B5 I been mulling over. I will stay with the blue interior, what color interior are you going with?
The original owner had passed and his sister sold me the car. She was with him when he bought it new and of all the colors they looked at, he picked this one. A big plus for staying original. Your posting just may be whats needed to finalize my color choice, great thread, thanks for sharing.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

According to the VIN Tag this car came with:

Paint Code QQ1
- First Q is roof color
- Second Q is body color
1 = monotone

INTERIOR: Sport Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Light Blue Interior.

PAINT: Bright Blue Metallic (Dodge), Electric Blue Metallic (Plymouth).

OTHER: Light Blue Metallic (Dodge), Frost Blue Metallic (Plymouth) Upper Door Frame Color. Blue Horizontal Sport Stripe.

Someone had redone this car with black seats and a '69 console top. They also repainted the car in some areas.

Interior Left side.jpg

Seat Rear.jpg

Decided to work on my steering wheel.
It started out very dry and cracked.
Steering Wheel Condition.JPG

I tried spraying two coats of epoxy primer on it and sanding it down but it wasn't enough build:
Steering Wheel Bottom Side Condition.JPG

I then remembered I had some E-Z Lam clear epoxy that was much thicker.
E-Z Lam Epoxy.JPG

So I mixed up a small amount (a little goes a long way) and applied one coat to the wheel:
E-Z Lam Epoxy  Top Side.JPG

A close up:
E-Z Lam Epoxy Close up.JPG

It has a 30 minute work time and takes a least 24 hours to cure. Once cured I will sand it and see where I am at.

Sprayed three coats of clear on the body today.
Third Coat of Euro Clear.JPG

Third Coat of Euro Clear 1.JPG

Third Coat of Euro Clear 2.JPG

Third Coat of Euro Clear 3.JPG

I may shoot another coat for added depth but not sure yet.

Decided to cut and buff the side of a quarter panel today, just to see how things will look.
Wet sanded with 1000 with a hard block, then 1500 and 2000.

This is the first round of buffing with Meguiars M-100 and a twisted wool pad. I plan to buff again with Chemical Guys and then polish with Menzerna 3800 Super Finish.

Again the two spots on the lower left of the picture are from my camera.
Left Quarter 2000 grit, M-100, Reflection.JPG

Left Quarter 2000 grit, M-100, Flash.JPG

First round of buffing is done. Waiting on my Chemical Guys V36 to get here and I'll go over it all again. Then one more time with Menzerna 3800 Super Finish polishing compound.
Right Quarter 2000 grit, M-100, Reflection.JPG

I had a major waterfall run on the front of this quarter panel:
Signature Waterfall.JPG

Was able to get it sanded flat and it came out pretty decent:
Waterfall Gone.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back