• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Super Bee Project

67CoronetR/T

Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 1968 Super Bee! This is a pic of her in all her glory in storage. I'll start digging into the project this winter! My plans are to restore her exactly as she was purchased, with a few modern improvements. I'll keep everyone updated as the project starts off!

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 591
Nice! I can't wait to watch the resto. What are the original details on it? Did you buy from Brian? Congrats!

Nice! I can't wait to watch the resto. What are the original details on it? Did you buy from Brian? Congrats!

Yeah. Since your 66 Charger wasn't an option anymore, I kept looking and found this awesome beast. I cannot wait to get started on it! I decoded all of the fender tag except one line. I cannot figure out what it means! It looks like there is a Z on line 2. Have any ideas? The car's a 4 spd bench car, which I personally think is awesome! I'll keep everyone updated as I start it!

Are you reading the tag from bottom to top? The 'z' that I see is for upper door frame paint in gold. That would be under position 'u'.

Boy! I'd like to know the answer to that one! It almost looks like an 'N' that got punched on the plate sideways. I've looked through every reference that I have and can find no reference to that mark. I noticed the larger hole punched in the tag too. This might be a good question for Galen Govier but the answer will probably cost ya. Please do post the answer when ya get one.

If I'm not mistaken the sideways "N", which I have seen before but often times was punched clear through, was basically a supervisor of some sort signing off on the car after an inspection. Maybe others will chime in. If I'm not mistaken, I only got one serious offer on the `66 Charger the whole time I had it.

If I'm not mistaken, I only got one serious offer on the `66 Charger the whole time I had it.

I called you about it and mentioned I wanted to see it, but was getting ready to head back to school and wouldn't be able to see it in person until two weeks later. Oh well. From all the pics I saw of it, it was a sweet project! Thanks for the info on the fender tag!

I do remember you and I was more or less just jerking your chain. I think you did really well on that `68, great color combo!

If I'm not mistaken the sideways "N", which I have seen before but often times was punched clear through, was basically a supervisor of some sort signing off on the car after an inspection. Maybe others will chime in.

You are correct... That supervisor stamp/punch can be in other places on the tag as well. I've seen it more towards the upper right corner in most cases.

According to the tag, this looks like a rare EE1 car with a 3:55 Performance Axle Package. Also coded for a white tail stripe and black gut, F70 steel belted redlines, AM radio, & April 19 SPD. With a set of road wheels, this should be sweet when done! It does appear however from the picture on Ebay, that the core support is 22". All Axle Pkg cars should have 26". Have you matched up the tag with the core support & trunk lip? Was the core support changed at some point?

Have you matched up the tag with the core support & trunk lip? Was the core support changed at some point?

The previous owner mentioned it was. He said the gentleman that owned it before him swapped it out and cut out the core support number and it's around his place somewhere. The gutter numbers match. How can you tell it's 22"? I'm young and naive, please teach me!

The width of the opening in the rad support is smaller with a factory 22" rad.

The previous owner mentioned it was. He said the gentleman that owned it before him swapped it out and cut out the core support number and it's around his place somewhere. The gutter numbers match. How can you tell it's 22"? I'm young and naive, please teach me!

No problem! If the tag matched the trunk lip, that's cool. As you said, the core support was likely changed at some point due to a fender bender? Anyhow, AMD is reproducing the 26" core support. I have not seen it personally, and have not heard any feedback on it, but most of their stuff rates a B or B+....Some better, some a little less. Almost all of it will require a bit of massaging here & there, but all in all, AMD is good stuff.

As far as how to tell: As mentioned, the 26" opening is (obviously) larger from left to right... With a 26", you can tell this by looking at the passenger side edge as it begins right under the curve at the top of the support. The drivers side edge is the same in either 22" or 26". I will try to post a couple pics tonight for illustration.

Here's a pic of a 26" core support....notice the passenger side edge is moved outward. The driver's side is the same as a 22".

Attachments

• 26 inch.jpg
    26 inch.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back