• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger 340

Put the new AMD windshield in this afternoon. Was easier than I thought.
85A69EE8-9571-450D-8AEB-E8209F21C2E3.jpeg

I used 3m bedding and glazing compound in the gasket where it slips over the pinchweld.
I also put a bead across the cowl and extra in the lower corners and installed the gasket on the car.
Dropped the glass in the bottom, hosed it with some glass cleaner, worked the glass into the seal 1/2 way up each side.
Then I moved to the top, pushing the gasket up from the inside with a wood paint stirring stick, then from the outside popped the gasket over the edge of the glass with a body filler spreader. Smacking the glass all over with my palm while I worked my way around.
Zipped up the lock strip and done! Took about an hour.
I cleaned the trim and put it all back on and I’m one step closer!
6E1F4BC3-A565-42B7-A4A7-7A63F8091CD7.jpeg

Last edited:
first I've seen this thread...... nice work.......I could use a little help :poke:

first I've seen this thread...... nice work.......I could use a little help :poke:

Thanks. I was going back and forth with you about epoxy primers. It worked out well. The work is easy for me, I have a lengthy history in the industry.
I’d be going the full blown restoration if budget was no issue, with 2 little kids i’m lucky to have a few things and be able to do this.
I would entertain doing work/cars for others but finding people willing to spend some money is another story.

Rear glass is in. I bought both 5/16 and 3/8 butyl. I cut a piece off each, stuck it to the glass and the 3/8 was the way to go when I compared the measurements to the pinch weld and trim clips.

Worked out well, trim went on nice and tight. I still have to fiddle with one corner but I’m done for the night.

Only a couple loose ends and I’m ready to run it and go from there

878CF06D-325F-48B9-B5A1-A24E8561BBD2.jpeg
74541F79-D90C-4CB2-AD24-314B7FC94343.jpeg
D9201EFD-09F6-4027-9116-9858046D4931.jpeg

Rear glass is in. I bought both 5/16 and 3/8 butyl. I cut a piece off each, stuck it to the glass and the 3/8 was the way to go when I compared the measurements to the pinch weld and trim clips.

Worked out well, trim went on nice and tight. I still have to fiddle with one corner but I’m done for the night.

Only a couple loose ends and I’m ready to run it and go from there

View attachment 1319181View attachment 1319182View attachment 1319183
Where did you get the butyl? I had to drive all over trying to find some, finally got the last one NAPA had.

It was a PIA. I ordered it thru a local Autobody supply house. Took a week. The old school stuff just isn’t used enough anymore to stock. Moving forward I’ll plan further ahead.

I’ve been on the charger hard the last few days. Chasing electrical problems. No turn signals, no hazards. Sprayed the switch and got front hazards and no rears. Saw the rears go once. Stop, park and headlights work.
Bypassed the dimmer and got most of my gauge lights.
I have a new turn signal switch on the way.
I found a melted firewall connector and repaired it for now
3A9505E0-62A7-4F31-902B-70D1A83F2BCF.jpeg
2D5D7E81-5093-4CA3-BBEB-2F3B6BAB0278.jpeg
0F31414D-5521-4777-B662-1095978CC3F2.jpeg

I made a new wire for power from the starter relay. I was able to tighten the connection and slip that wire thru, connect it and then slip the harness plug over the wire. Went well, nothing got warm once power was applied.

Today I finished getting my tailpipes back in and tightened up, put my steering wheel back on, put 5 gallons of gas in and it’s running!!!

It’s been a couple years since I heard it run. Sounds good, idles good. New shifter set-up seems adjusted well.

I backed it out, moved it around in the driveway. The brakes feel funny. It has some kind of aftermarket 4 wheel disc set-up installed before I got it. I’ll start with bleeding them and go from there!
AFB9AB2D-966A-414B-BCF7-D64286B64527.jpeg

Last edited:
Alignment time— well toe anyway. I could see the front left toed out in the driveway yesterday.

Set up some strings and jackstands and sure enough the front left was out 1/4 of an inch. I’ll be rebuilding the front end soon enough.

I got it to about 1/16 to 3/32nd using various measuring tools including my own eyechrometer.

27F78B27-0DEB-4A94-87DE-087A6DD9FE3B.jpeg

Drove the charger today. Goes good!! The new turn signal switch doesn’t return to center 100% and I’m going to need to do the rear. It’s got a 3.91 sure grip and it hoooowwwwllllss!!!! I’m going to check the oil in the rear tomorrow and change it.

But the car hauls butt! Whack the gas and it burns the tires!! Has a nice lumpy idle, shifts nice, pulls hard, rides smooth. I’m really happy with it. 20psi oil pressure at hot idle. The aftermarket brakes need some tinkering. Whoever owned this in the past and did the 340/727 I think really loved the car based on how it feels. Can’t explain it but it feels right.

I need to fix the gas and temperature gauges. But I’m very happy, it’s a totally different experience from the Chevy hotrods I’ve always had.

Thoughts on changing gears?? Maybe get a whole diff and swap it?

Thought I’d update- drove the Charger over the the summer and fall, a few hiccups. But the salt started flying.

I pulled the rear for the noise, it howls loud.
87D0F204-205D-4397-9855-1658835EBBA4.jpeg

Popped that out in an hour. Then took it apart and found this!!
D081E2FF-027A-4AFB-BBB1-6E3285A181CA.jpeg

But… turns out it must have been past damage, everything here looks good. I cleaned it out and seems like it’s pinion bearings.
I’ll get some parts and have at it. The outer axle bearing seem nice, so I’m going to leave those, for now anyway.
2555C60B-145F-4B99-B149-D9D297408FEC.jpeg

I’ll clean up, sand and sandblast everything that’s apart and paint it up nice over the winter.

Auto Transport Service
Back