• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger 383

ChevySucksLOL

Local time
12:22 AM
Reaction score
Hey yall. I have a 1969 charger with a 383. I haven't confirmed this, but the previous owner said the 383 was out of a 71 cuda (not sure if being a 69 vs 71 will have any bearing on my question). The passenger side header manifold bolts keep backing out of the head. I've tried brand new bolts, but it still happens. The 3 worst holes all have failed helicoils in them. I guess my question is, once the head has already been drilled out and a helicoil is installed, what is the next step once that helicoil is stripped itself? Since I got it I've just been re-tightening the bolts every few drives, but it ends up eating 2-3 manifold gaskets a year and almost always has an exhaust leak. Second question would be if I have to pull the head and have it professionally machined to fix the problem, is there any head-work that can be done on the 906 heads to beef up the 383 some without having to get into different pushrods and such? It has a 650 4bbl holly and electronic ignition and was bored .060 over, but otherwise stock to my knowledge. Just thinking if I'm gonna have to get work done might as well try to get a few more HP out of it. TIA

Welcome to the forum. Header bolts often loosen from thermal cycles. Are the threads actually bad or do you just need good quality fasteners, like ARP locking bolts? It's difficult, but I have "unwound" Helicoil inserts. You need a good quality pick to catch one end of the insert and a good pair of needlenose to pull it out of the hole. A new insert installed with locktite might work, if the parent cast iron isn't damaged.

If you're wanting more HP, upgrade your heads. If it were mine I would just bolt a set of 67 915's on it which I already have. Ofcourse there are other options on heads, some expensive and some not so much. Just my opinion.

Welcome from North Carolina.

yoda-without-pics-this-thread-is-useless-BWVHSx_zpsf4c01222.jpg

Thank you demonic and Jerry Hall. Also, sorry for slacking with the pics guys

PS before I get massacred, I know R/T’s didn’t come with 383’s...previous owners badged it that way...maybe one day will find a 440 or god willing a 426 to make it a true replica lol

F14A8719-9D35-45FE-9289-EE9A6DBC7AC1.jpeg 8558DCAA-4819-477B-96BD-1228849ED355.jpeg 26F316B9-D45F-47AB-8B7B-1831BA29E5BF.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back