• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger converting to single plane intake after Holley sniper

Faisal24

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
I just completed installing a Holley sniper EFI system to my 1969 Charger with a 383. After installing, I noticed some changes like long startup times and occasional rough idle. I did my research and contacted Holley and came to the conclusion that running a single plane intake instead of my current dual plane intake would help reduce the problems I'm currently facing. Does anyone have a recommendation on what single plane intake to install? Something that won't have issues clearing the hood. Thanks!

When specifically did they say that led you to that conclusion?
Myself and several others I know have run dual plane with efi for many years and been fine.

If you really need a single plane the Holley Street dominator fits under a stock hood but you'll lose considerable lower end tq.

Did the exact same for a customer last summer. Couldn't believe the last guy put the sniper on a stock manifold.
Holley street dominator.
20220628_184345.jpg

Why couldn't you believe it?

I've been running an efi turbocharged 383 with a rpm performer intake since 2012.
You must be running 2 oxygen sensors I would assume. And an RPM isn't 100% divided, which helps.
If your system is working at full potential , then happy days. :thumbsup:

2 O2's aren't necessary. A single plane wouldn't guarantee even distribution anyway.
Plugs have always been very even.

I just completed installing a Holley sniper EFI system to my 1969 Charger with a 383. After installing, I noticed some changes like long startup times and occasional rough idle. I did my research and contacted Holley and came to the conclusion that running a single plane intake instead of my current dual plane intake would help reduce the problems I'm currently facing. Does anyone have a recommendation on what single plane intake to install? Something that won't have issues clearing the hood. Thanks!

Try letting the key sit on run for a few seconds to let the pump pressurize the system and then see if it starts right up. I don't know if the Sniper setup keeps the system pressurized or lets it bleed down after shutdown.

And I've been running a Tarantula for many years with EZ 1.0 and had zero problems with the setup. I just wish it was little more tweakable..

Try letting the key sit on run for a few seconds to let the pump pressurize the system and then see if it starts right up. I don't know if the Sniper setup keeps the system pressurized or lets it bleed down after shutdown.

And I've been running a Tarantula for many years with EZ 1.0 and had zero problems with the setup. I just wish it was little more tweakable..
Good steer. Even late model scats and hellcats have trouble with this

I don't know what the OP's setup is, but going from dual to single plane will have zero effect on starting... running yes, but initial firing, dun think so.

I am a big fan of My Edelbrock Torker II
it fit under my stock hood when my hood was stock
My engines have run very well with MP cams .484 & now the .509
I even preferred it to the old MP M1 intake

IMG_20211226_143935316.jpg

You might try an open spacer under the throttle body and see if that makes a difference.

Having installed and tuned the Holley and FiTech systems the manifold change will not fix a starting issue. You have to go in and play with the initial fuel injection on time and cold start enrichment. Providing you are not losing pressure during key off. I just did a mopar 512 stroker with a mild cam, and for some reason I had to go almost to the full rich on the initial injector on time and cold startup enrichment. Not really sure why but that is what it took. Called their tech and they could not explain why either.

I am using the below manifold, as you can see on the picture the divider is cut down.
If your dual plane manifold does not have this it would be an option to cut yours before going for another manifold.
I have the Holley Sniper and have no issues with this.
From what i read in the past is that even Holley states it does not matter what manifold you are using, this depends on your engine setup.

Mopar Performance Dual Plane Intake Manifold

Auto Transport Service
Back