• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger correct engine

desrocp

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Currently rebuilding a 69 Charger and want to drop the correct 440 in it. I was told that the production perion for the B bodies was from August to August. I found a 440 block with a date code of 10-28-69. 25364306 does this mean that engine is incorrect for a 69 since the engine as built after august?

Any help would be appreciated

In my experience the block casting year was the year prior to the car year and rarely have I seen a block cast the same year as the car. Actually it could be several months prior if you look at the month it was cast and compare the scheduled production date of the car. The SPD date is found on the fender tag and you will need one of Galen's books to decode it, or post the tag here and 6 people will chime in. What is the stamp pad say on the block? For an engine that was installed in a 69 car you should have E440. Also 69 cars had the VIN stamped on a machined area by the right side oil pan rail. Usually it's the year, the assembly plant code then sequence number. I.E. 9B123456. The block you found is probably for a 1970 model year car and should have F440 on the pad by the distributor.

Auto Transport Service
Back