• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Coronet R/T front swaybar

Wietse

Local time
3:55 PM
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was looking how/where to install a front sway bar.
The car originally had one but it was missing when i bought it.
I have the brackets on the Lower control arms but wondered where the centre bushing supposed to be mounted.

Does anyone have a few pictures of the original location and what is required to install this?
I suppose it is fastened against the K-member if i am not mistaken, there are a few holes but guess this is for installing a base plate or something.
As a new sway bar comes with the 2 center brackets and rubbers but nothing else to mount it on that i can see installing against the K-member.

Any info is welcome!

Hey all,

I was looking how/where to install a front sway bar.
The car originally had one but it was missing when i bought it.
I have the brackets on the Lower control arms but wondered where the centre bushing supposed to be mounted.

Does anyone have a few pictures of the original location and what is required to install this?
I suppose it is fastened against the K-member if i am not mistaken, there are a few holes but guess this is for installing a base plate or something.
As a new sway bar comes with the 2 center brackets and rubbers but nothing else to mount it on that i can see installing against the K-member.

Any info is welcome!
I don't have any pictures, but you're correct about where the center brackets/bushings go for the sway bar. They bolt into the series of holes along the k-member/frame area. I seem to remember that there were "extra holes" in that area, like it was designed so many cars/configurations could bolt up there if I had to guess. Honestly, as long as you knew you had the correct sway bar, you could just line the brackets up with the bar/bushings in place & see which holes were the correct ones for your car (the only ones where the holes line up)

Yes, there are 2 round holes each side, also there is like a sleeved hole in the same area.(on the K-member)
As far as i've seen, the aftermarket type is routed more forward and passes across in front of the radiator support.
The original style passed to the other side below the K-member, i've seen both types come across.
But i will need whatever supposed to be bolted down against the K-member to install an original style sway bar.

This should be an original style that passes below the K-member. (it states this is to be used on cars that came from factory with sway bar)
https://www.moparshop.de/en/Online-Store/Suspension/4958/Sway-Bar-Front-B-body-1962-69-1-1/8?c=580

This one goes in front of the radiator support frame.(This mentions it is for cars that came from factory without sway bar)
https://www.moparshop.de/en/Online-Store/Suspension/18940/Sway-Bar-Front-B-Body-1962-69-1-1/8?c=580

Here you go....

IMG_1898.JPG
IMG_1899.JPG
IMG_1900.JPG
IMG_1901.JPG
IMG_1902.JPG
IMG_1982.JPG
IMG_1983.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG

Is that the original sway bar?
I was thinking it will be mounted on the red circled holes?
Where you're center brackets are mounted i have no holes drilled, only 2 round recesses?
Do i need to drill them out?

Makes me wonder if this K-member is from this car then...R/T should come with sway bar right?

IMG_1983.JPG

My car is 100% original.....

The sway bar bracket holes are on the front lip.....

For your viewing pleasure:
kframe_003.jpg

For my viewing pleasure hehe :D:D
I made a picture of my K-member, punches are there but not drilled through.
Guess this K-member is from another car and therfore the sway bar was left off.
Where would i be able to buy these brackets that bolt on the K-member separate?

Since we are talking suspension anyway, i am removing my lower control arm as i suspected the bushing is worn out,causing a wheel alignment issue which i noticed during driving.
I have the lower arm loose but i am unable to remove it from the pivot shaft and torsion bar.
What is still holding it??:realcrazy:

B0272D89-0DCD-4588-B30B-F3D26E1D005F.jpeg

For my viewing pleasure hehe :D:D
I made a picture of my K-member, punches are there but not drilled through.
Guess this K-member is from another car and therfore the sway bar was left off.
Where would i be able to buy these brackets that bolt on the K-member separate?

Since we are talking suspension anyway, i am removing my lower control arm as i suspected the bushing is worn out,causing a wheel alignment issue which i noticed during driving.
I have the lower arm loose but i am unable to remove it from the pivot shaft and torsion bar.
What is still holding it??:realcrazy:

View attachment 574170
You have the right K member....just need to drill the holes buuuttt the front lip is bent.....

http://www.tonysparts.com/newproductsB.htm comes as a set...you can buy used etc on ebay but the bushings will probably need to be replaced...

Yes, i noticed it was bent..have to straighten it up.
Guess the easy way is to order a sway bar kit for "aftermarket" installation as it comes with everything i need.
Better for me to order from the German website mentioned above due to shipping costs are high from US.

Regarding the lower control arm, the pivot shaft should come out from there right?
And the round sleeve this sits between control arm and torsion bar also should slide off?
For some reason it is not giving...

Yes, i noticed it was bent..have to straighten it up.
Guess the easy way is to order a sway bar kit for "aftermarket" installation as it comes with everything i need.
Better for me to order from the German website mentioned above due to shipping costs are high from US.

Regarding the lower control arm, the pivot shaft should come out from there right?
And the round sleeve this sits between control arm and torsion bar also should slide off?
For some reason it is not giving...
http://www.crazysmopar.com/tech_frontend_lca.html

to give you an idea....I dont weld a washer I have a tool from mancini that removes the out sleeve...There are other ways to remove it as well....

I will continue tomorrow and see if i can get the torsion bar out first.
After i will have to deal with this control arm bushing so to see to get it out....
For now i will just replace it with a new standard rubber bushing, i don't want to start yet on my complete rebuild for the suspension.
Good to gain some knowledge and hands on before the big job though :)

Got it out.
Was not very hard to get it out, used a Dremel tool with a small bit and cut a groove in the out bushing, after tapped it in with a chisel and got it free.
It is worn out properly, the rubber is completely missing on 1 side, so now waiting for my replacement to come.
Also ordered a small hydraulic press as this will come in handy in the future with other bushing, bearings etc.

Thx for the info guys!!

Auto Transport Service
Back