• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge Super Bee Coupe Restoration

I talked to Mr Hall and he assured me they were indeed Brown " the same as the heater box" (which I thought was black and then I looked at it again and no its DARK brown) and he even offered to sell me paint. Is yours, Justin, not Brown as received from him? My weekend project is to get all the pieces bonded back together again and hopefully at least into primer. I always thought they were black, and that's what you always see on restorations... except until I saw yours!

As for the seal, I have a new repop one from Dales Cuda Shop... but my old one (that I bought in '88 from Mopar) is still in pretty good shape. Just needs a good clean up and repaint along the steel strips. Part # 8849233

View attachment 682636 View attachment 682638
I would reuse the old one as well......The new seals are like new door seals...They dont compress well and can cause other problems....

Cool.. looks like I'm on the correct track on coloUr and am using a big magnifying glass to go over it for cracks.

I thought about sending it out... but the border makes that stuff a PITA, and you know me... I'm a glutten for punishment!

Cool.. looks like I'm on the correct track.

I thought about sending it out... but the border makes that stuff a PITA, and you know me... I'm a glutten for punishment!
Thats true...the last thing you need is it getting damaged in customs....The seal I am referring to goes between the center section and the hood. It is a foam seal......

Oh okay, the foam seals. Got them from DMT. YES I noted the recessed area on the old one and will be sure to cut it out on the new. My old one is toast.
beerestorationfall2018 099.JPG

Oh okay, the foam seals. Got them from DMT. YES I noted the recessed area on the old one and will be sure to cut it out on the new. My old one is toast.
View attachment 682651
That is the key area to trim but I had to trim mine all the way around......I am sure Don uses the same seal.....

Good luck and take your time installing it....Having an extra hand around will help a lot......

Put another patio heater together (got 4 on sale 75% off for my daughters wedding next Fall). I figured I may as well use it to warm up my work space... NOT under a heat sensor like I did with the first one yesterday and set off my shop fire alarm. Monitoring didn't find it funny...!

All remaining paint stripped, power washed and drying off so I can grind cracks and repair.

Thought I'd try to remove the 50 year old wave in the air box mounting edge.

Lots of heat and a flat board. Worked great.

Here a crack.. there a crack.. everywhere a crack crack! Everytime you look at a piece you see another one. This one was barely evident and I touched it and the piece fell off.

Notched up hard wire set into the grove I ground out.

Tools of the trade!

beerestorationfall2018 233.JPG beerestorationfall2018 234.JPG beerestorationfall2018 238.JPG beerestorationfall2018 241.JPG beerestorationfall2018 246.JPG beerestorationfall2018 253.JPG beerestorationfall2018 254.JPG

Last edited:
Wire embedded for added strength on the hood attach tab.

Rubber air box flaps. I never even noticed until I took the boxes apart that they're different lengths. I was actually marking one as to which side it fit, when I noticed there was no need.

OE part number of one flap.

OE part number of the other.

Rubber overmold was peeling along the steel shaft, so I cleaned them up on the wire wheel and then used liquid rubber to recoat around the shaft to seal them up.

Plasti Dip rubber coating.

A couple of coats of rubber and good to go.

beerestorationfall2018 259.JPG beerestorationfall2018 264.JPG beerestorationfall2018 265.JPG beerestorationfall2018 266.JPG beerestorationfall2018 268.JPG beerestorationfall2018 270.JPG beerestorationfall2018 276.JPG

Reminding myself of what will be visible and what will not in case I can build up some repair areas thicker than OE.

Made a "mould" on the outer show face with wax paper clipped tight in place, for the large broken out areas on the drivers side front of the box.

Cut some fiberglass heavy cloth to fill the large broken out spots.

Added a layer of JB on top of the wax paper and outward onto the air box (like doing gel coat), then laid in the cloth and squeegeed in another layer of JB. Sitting for the night and I'll see what I have tomorrow.

Now to make the center box one piece again.

Has a twist to it and I can only join one break cleanly at a time. So I clamped one side down with a perfect fit on the break line.

Ground the crack to half part thickness, added some "branches" and some groves to embed wires.

Coated with JB and left for the night. Many hours into this now and having flashbacks back to doing an instrument cluster and why I didn't just "farm" it out! LOL

beerestorationfall2018 288.JPG beerestorationfall2018 299.JPG beerestorationfall2018 306.JPG beerestorationfall2018 311.JPG beerestorationfall2018 313.JPG beerestorationfall2018 318.JPG beerestorationfall2018 316.JPG beerestorationfall2018 327.JPG

Last edited:
Reminding myself of what will be visible and what will not in case I can build up some repair areas thicker than OE.

Made a "mould" on the outer show face with wax paper clipped tight in place, for the large broken out areas on the drivers side front of the box.

Cut some fiberglass heavy cloth to fill the large broken out spots.

Added a layer of JB on top of the wax paper and outward onto the air box (like doing gel coat), then laid in the cloth and squeegeed in another layer of JB. Sitting for the night and I'll see what I have tomorrow.

Now to make the center box one piece again.

Has a twist to it and I can only join one break cleanly at a time. So I clamped one side down with a perfect fit on the break line.

Ground the crack to half part thickness, added some "branches" and some groves to embed wires.

Coated with JB and left for the night. Many hours into this now and having flashbacks back to doing an instrument cluster and why I didn't just "farm" it out! LOL

View attachment 683315 View attachment 683317 View attachment 683318 View attachment 683319 View attachment 683320 View attachment 683321 View attachment 683324 View attachment 683325
Ur over 1/2 way. Keep going! Looking good, I’m wondering if the brown tint is just from O2,ozone exposure, etc.?

It's definitely dark brown, if you stare at your heater box you'll see it's actually brown as well and not black. The insides of the outer boxes show the brown the best.

My real kick in the nuts today was noticing that the resto shop forgot to seam seal my passenger side roof rail before paint... :mad:

beerestorationfall2018 323.JPG

It's definitely dark brown, if you stare at your heater box you'll see it's actually brown as well and not black. The insides of the outer boxes show the brown the best.

My real kick in the nuts today was noticing that the resto shop forgot to seam seal my passenger side roof rail before paint... :mad:

View attachment 683338

Had the same issue on mine too, they forgot to seam seal both side, hopefully my car is white so I found a white seam sealer when the car was back home applied it and we can barely noticed the sealer...
But I wish they did it before the paint! :BangHead:
I'm with you on that know what you feel lol

Wax paper "mould" worked great!

Getting the thumbs up!! Well except for the air void I somehow managed to trap in.

Before I went to the dentist at noon I got the other side of the center ring clamped in place, ground and sealed together so it could set up while I was gone.

Crack ground and groves for metal "stitching".

JB'd and off to the dentist.

Back in the shop about 4 hours later. Cleaned up the missing flange area.

Built a dyke to replace the flange.

Flange "poured" and set enough to peel the clay.

Top section set up enough to flip and do the other side. All ground out and ready to seal.

All parts firmly back together again. Tomorrow is sanding to shape and probably filling some voids.

(to think I could have just bought a repro for $700 US.. LOL... 20 hours of labour so far)

beerestorationfall2018 332.JPG beerestorationfall2018 335.JPG beerestorationfall2018 339.JPG beerestorationfall2018 341.JPG beerestorationfall2018 348.JPG beerestorationfall2018 342.JPG beerestorationfall2018 351.JPG beerestorationfall2018 356.JPG beerestorationfall2018 366.JPG beerestorationfall2018 371.JPG

Wax paper "mould" worked great!

Getting the thumbs up!! Well except for the air void I somehow managed to trap in.

Before I went to the dentist at noon I got the other side of the center ring clamped in place, ground and sealed together so it could set up while I was gone.

Crack ground and groves for metal "stitching".

JB'd and off to the dentist.

Back in the shop about 4 hours later. Cleaned up the missing flange area.

Built a dyke to replace the flange.

Flange "poured" and set enough to peel the clay.

Top section set up enough to flip and do the other side. All ground out and ready to seal.

All parts firmly back together again. Tomorrow is sanding to shape and probably filling some voids.

(to think I could have just bought a repro for $700 US.. LOL... 20 hours of labour so far)

View attachment 683608 View attachment 683609 View attachment 683611 View attachment 683613 View attachment 683615 View attachment 683616 View attachment 683617 View attachment 683626 View attachment 683630 View attachment 683632
It’s a labor of love now!!

No repro part compares to OE stuff. :thumbsup:
Definitely not Rob and they are Black which is not correct! Some people complain about the cost of sending stuff out for restoration/repair and have no idea just how many hours it takes to do some of this stuff. I'm just being stubborn and learning first hand while I lose $75/hr not working on customers airplanes!

Is everyone tired of airbox pictures yet?? LOL I'm sure tired of working on it. Repair areas sanded down to find low spots in the JB where it sunk into the broken / ground out areas.

Same deal here and ready for a skim coat to fill the depressions.

Drivers box end almost there, just needs a skim of JB

Skim coat of JB makes it look pretty good.

Center ring all skim coated.

Driver box skimmed.

Then I had to switch uniforms and play "Mr. Plow" before I couldn't move this potato snow.

3 hours later and the skim coat sanded out quite nice.

Center ring just needs some finer finish sanding and everything scuffed for priming.

Drivers side box looking good. Primer coat tomorrow to see how it blends out.

beerestorationfall2018 374.JPG beerestorationfall2018 375.JPG beerestorationfall2018 380.JPG beerestorationfall2018 383.JPG beerestorationfall2018 384.JPG beerestorationfall2018 385.JPG snownov272018 001.JPG beerestorationfall2018 387.JPG beerestorationfall2018 389.JPG beerestorationfall2018 392.JPG

That JB weld looks like it works pretty well. Did you heat stake it with wire staples for strength?

That JB weld looks like it works pretty well. Did you heat stake it with wire staples for strength?
Don if you tried to staple this stuff it would just crack some more I think. You did see the pics of me embedding wires? This way I can keep the same material thickness so there are no bumps to be noticed after repair.. or so I hope. Just how I decide to proceed with this air box repair. Seems damn solid and I can only hope it stays that way.

I have everything scuffed, wiped, hung and ready to prime. Hoping it's a prime and paint.. but suspect it will be a prime and wait! .. more sanding, priming and then another scuff and paint.

beerestorationfall2018 400.JPG

I am sorry. I did not see how you embedded those wires. But I can see how that should help.
Nice job!

Auto Transport Service
Back