• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge Super Bee Coupe Restoration

Thanks Justin!.. truck is not mine, George just stuck it in my trailer to make room in his shop.

Don't know, I just opened my trailer door before I left their yard and there it was. I'll ask, maybe get some pics, when I go to get my car.

Out of "house reno hell" I visited the Church of the Seventh Day Aviationist today, my workshop. I've had the tail panel under the heat output of the furnace for 4 weeks now baking.

Gave it another polish with MAAS before I install it this week when I get my car back.

Really happy with how it turned out after numerous hours of work.

Starting on my front grill now and taking reference pictures for OE history. This is a never touched OE center section I picked up from a guy in Belleville.

OE clip nut hardware.

Back of the grill is not painted, nor is the underside of the upper and lower flanges.

Black center, bare outer raised sections, black and argent on the underside of top "flange" .

Side view, showing polished (but still a ridged/extruded looking) front edge, argent, black, bare wide ribs, black center ribs.

Top flange is a brushed/extruded looking finish and the black was obviously sprayed just holding a "mask" in place.

Drilling out the rivets on the mounting brackets.

beerestoration2019 683.JPG beerestoration2019 676.JPG beerestoration2019 681.JPG beerestoration2019 689.JPG beerestoration2019 697.JPG beerestoration2019 701.JPG beerestoration2019 713.JPG beerestoration2019 728.JPG beerestoration2019 731.JPG beerestoration2019 714.JPG

Last edited:
Socket underneath and tapping out the rivets so I don't distort the aluminum casting holes by drilling right through.

Steel 1/8" diameter semi-tubular rivets.

All 4 brackets off for media blast and black paint. Both end brackets are the same, but the lower brackets appear to be bent left and right hand.

Brackets off, showing OE finish.

One heavy dent in the top flange being dollied out.

CAREFULLY bending the entire front flange on one side out a bit and straightening the little ribs at the same time. Remember, you only get ONE chance to break the ribs before you swear, so go slow!

A few knicks and scratches on the top. Cleaned up keeping the same look with 60 paper on a block.

I'm not going to "de-anodize" the grill, as the OE paint is still nicely in place for a scuff and repaint. Going to make an attempt at cleaning up all the bare and polished areas without stripping any significant OE material.

Headlight eyebrows I got from someone else. Only one real dent to remove. Also another Ma Mopar design that makes no sense, as the eyebrow front edges are polished and the center section is semi polished and ridged.

Grinding a punch the correct shape to get in behind the dent, something to finish tomorrow.

beerestoration2019 716.JPG beerestoration2019 718.JPG beerestoration2019 719.JPG beerestoration2019 723.JPG beerestoration2019 736.JPG beerestoration2019 738.JPG beerestoration2019 749.JPG beerestoration2019 750.JPG beerestoration2019 753.JPG beerestoration2019 755.JPG

Well the Argent that was recommended for the grill, and I bought a year or so ago, is no where close. OE is a "dirty" grayish silver similar to '70's rallye wheels.

Test spray of 4 Argents or Aluminum that I have. Tremclad Aluminum looks close, but I know it never stops rubbing off on your hands. The Titanium Silver metalic is pretty close, but too much metal flake. Probably paint hunting tomorrow.

Restoring the top flange while trying to keep the ridged/extruded look. Probably hard for some to do, but all strokes have to be one direction only! 60 grit paper.

Top flange all done with one last long stroke, with 60 paper on the block.

I tried cleaning up the "show" face that is ridged with a wire brush to retain OE surfaces.

Power polished after the brush clean up and just can't make it shine. So it's either OE ridged and look like crap or on to sanding all the detail and nicks off.

Same deal as the tail panel, 60/150/320/400/800/1000/2000.

Top and bottom "show" faces sanded out to 2000.

beerestoration2019 757.JPG beerestoration2019 760.JPG beerestoration2019 766.JPG beerestoration2019 773.JPG beerestoration2019 775.JPG beerestoration2019 776.JPG beerestoration2019 781.JPG beerestoration2019 785.JPG

A quick hit on the power polisher (green on yellow wheel) on the left vs the sanded finish on the right.

Power polished with Green on the Yellow wheel and Rouge on the soft wheel. Lookin spiffy.

Quick scotchbrite clean up on the back side. Even with it on a rag I scratched my power polishing! Clean the back first!

Quick repolish and it's 1000 x better already than the one I took off the car. Still need to do the painting.

View of the polished face, and the simulated ridged/brushed finish upper flange.

Another view, hard to show the detail of how nice it's coming out. On to the eyebrows next, so that I'm doing paint on all three pieces at the same time.

beerestoration2019 788.JPG beerestoration2019 808.JPG beerestoration2019 812.JPG beerestoration2019 818.JPG beerestoration2019 822.JPG beerestoration2019 824.JPG

Ready to strip someone elses attempt at an Argent repaint, as well as the Black. Acetone and 0000 steel wool.

Soak the steel wool with acetone and scrub, paint comes off easily.

Shot to show OE black out (and associated overspray) on outside of the eyebrow.

One eyebrow cleaned down to the anodize, one to go.

Plastic bristle brush works good in the tight corners.

Both ready for ding repair, front edge polish and then tape off and paint. If I was going custom this would have been a perfect set of eyebrows to just be polished vs the work to reproduce the OE look. Thankfully no need to use lye and take the anodize off!

Etch primer to fill some scratches where I took the dent out.

Sanded out and then primed the entire top mounting flange.

Duplicolor CDA1603 Semi Gloss Black. Next figuring out how to tape or mask for the main grills black and argent colours.

beerestoration2019 827.JPG beerestoration2019 830.JPG beerestoration2019 834.JPG beerestoration2019 837.JPG beerestoration2019 845.JPG beerestoration2019 846.JPG beerestoration2019 839.JPG beerestoration2019 851.JPG beerestoration2019 857.JPG

Last edited:
Another $100 to the colour match cause. Paint is getting nuts, $16/can for perfect match and they're not even full size cans. The regular size can of metalic specks cost $20, get it home to find that someone stole the nozzle off it!

Now I have nine versions of "Argent".

We'll call this one the winner, I'm not buying anymore paint. Volkswagon Reflex Silver Metalic. CBVW2039

Had this ugly defect on one of the eyebrows and some deep scratches through the anodize on the other one. Deep thought last night on how to do a smoke and mirrors repair on same.

Wanted some liquid aluminum, but all I could find was an epoxy putty stick in the marine isle.

Knead the putty stick together to activate and force into the ugly void.

Light sand and power polished. It's not perfect but a success on the smoke and mirrors. No more dark hole that stands out like a sore thumb. Actually came out pretty damn good.

Both eyebrow "leading edges" and other accents that stay bare all polished up, ready for tape off and paint.

Eyebrows masked off for paint or at least etch primer. Still deciding how to do the black and argent.. what order, taping or making a paint mask as I know damn well the tape will peel paint on me.

Got the center grill all taped off for paint and then remembered I have to media blast, paint and rivet the attach brackets onto it first!

beerestoration2019 865.JPG beerestoration2019 879.JPG beerestoration2019 897.JPG beerestoration2019 882.JPG beerestoration2019 880.JPG beerestoration2019 884.JPG beerestoration2019 907.JPG beerestoration2019 909.JPG beerestoration2019 914.JPG beerestoration2019 912.JPG

Last edited:
Still deciding how to do the black and argent.. what order, taping or making a paint mask as I know damn well the tape will peel paint on me.

Try the 3M Fineline tape. Thin, flexable, just enough adhesion but not like regular masking tape. Used mainly for pin striping or two tone paint jobs. Can be used on fresh paint quicker than masking tape. Comes in 1/6", 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2". It's about the same color green as the Duplicolor etching primer.

Rag stuffed inside each horn so I don't fill them with media.

Horns and grill brackets ready for media blasting.

Horns and brackets blasted, etch primered and painted with CDA1603 Semi-gloss. Painted the horns heavy hoping for the odd run, as they were dipped originally.

Headlight eyebrows taped off on the polished parts and etch primered.

Black painted on the eyebrows, now to wait for paint cure to tape/mask and paint the argent.

Grill brackets cleco'd on ready to rivet in place.

Don't have any 1/8" steel tubulars so using some soft A4-4 aluminum rivets instead.

Brackets on and grill ready for painting.

Two coats of black and after it's cured will be masked off for argent.

While I had the paint flowing, headlight shields painted as well.

beerestoration2019 922.JPG beerestoration2019 924.JPG beerestoration2019 936.JPG beerestoration2019 951.JPG beerestoration2019 957.JPG beerestoration2019 956.JPG beerestoration2019 961.JPG beerestoration2019 971.JPG beerestoration2019 976.JPG beerestoration2019 984.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back