• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon - 2013 5.7/545RFE Swap

Sneke_Eyez

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
Hello all - longtime lurker since I actually bought my 2 B-Bodies.

Starting a thread here for my 69 Satellite Wagon which will be receiving a G3 Hemi Swap.
I need and want a place to ask questions and track my own progress and in terms of B-Bodies, FBBO definitely has a good, active G3 Hemi swap section.

In May 2014, I flew down to Washington, DC with my best friend and together we drove the car home over the course of the weekend, stopping at junkyards along the way and having a blast. It was a Washington, DC area car for its entire life, and I purchased it from the second owner, who bought it from the original owner's son.

As for specifications, from the factory she was equipped with the following:
318 V8 with Factory A/C
26'' Radiator
Column Shifted A904 3 Speed TorqueFlight Transmission
Factory R6 Red with Black interior.
14'' Steel Wheels with Plymouth Center Caps.

I've done a ton of upgrades and rust repairs to the car since I bought it with the help of friends, which I'll cover at some point.

Here it is as it currently sits:
20170625_201019-vi.jpg

Basically, I've got the car's rust pretty much all fixed (anything else it has left is just cosmetic), made it handle, upgraded the brakes and am upgrading them even more this winter, and am working on redoing the interior to make it comfortable, and the next step is to make it run and drive as well as it handles.

I want to be able to have no excuse not to drive the car.
The wheezy, leaky 318 currently gives me an excuse.

So, a couple of weeks ago I bought the following for my 69 Satellite Wagon:

1) 2013 Ram 5.7 Hemi with 43k (Complete with accessories)
2) 2009 Ram 545RFE RWD with 46k
3) 2010 Ram 5.7 Hemi ECM
4) 2013 Ram 5.7 Hemi Gas Pedal and O2 sensors (from the engine donor)
5) Hotwire Harness and ECM reprogram

856657648_172708022159608204_n-vi.jpg

Now I'm getting ready to order the other stuff needed to make this swap happen.

I want to get it done over the winter and I want to have the parts collected before too long so I can start before it gets too cold.

So, I thought I'd come on FBBO and ramble on with questions and comments and see if anyone had the time to read what I've written and add their thoughts or experiences.
I'm also doing a lot of reading about Hemi swaps in B-Bodies and E-Bodies to get thoughts on what others have done.

Soon I'll be ordering the Milodon MIL-31000 "Resto Mod" Oil Pan, Milodon 18341 Oil Pickup for 09-16 engines, new oil pickup bolts, a new dipstick, and the TTI Hemi-Swap Engine Mounts.

Planning to have those ordered by next week.
Not sure if I need anything else with that stuff, do people usually buy a new windage tray?

The car needs to have A/C to be enjoyable for the summer, so I am going to probably remove the factory system and use something from Vintage Air. I need to give them a call and discuss my plans. After all, what's another $800-$1000?!

I'm still undecided on what to use for steering components, the car has power steering that works fine as-is, but I think swapping a Borgeson box might be nice from a space-saving and updating perspective. That will only happen if I have the funds available, though.

I've gotta figure out what I want to do for gauges.
That is a bit sticking point for me. I'd prefer not to spend 4 figures on them if I don't have to. Car has the stock gauges right now. Will need to look around and see what others have used.

Gotta work on ordering the new gas tank and an in-tank pump for it.
Wagons use 66-67 B style tanks, and naturally no one makes a tank that is already set up for an in tank pump for one of those.

Will continue posting here as I go and I welcome all thoughts and discussion!
I am also on Facebook, Instagram (@moparrnocar) and Moparts posting about this - sorry if you've seen me ramble about this stuff before!

Keep posting mate and super well done so far !
People do read this ...... Even 1000s of miles away ... And yes I'm very interested ... So I'll not only be watching for more updates I'm kinda expecting them !

Man, I am glad to stumble upon this thread as I procured a wagon recently and am doing the same thing, and have pretty much the same questions and issues: the steering box, gauges, A/C, gas tank/fuel pump. The Borgeson is pricy but from what I have seen the car set up with the A/C compressor almost requires it. I have the whole donor vehicle and with some creative hood work, I am looking at using the truck front arrangement. The A/C compressor and alternator both mount on top, but it looks like the mounting brackets could be massaged. To prevent thread hi-jacking, I will spare you the details, but mine is a different year wagon and I can get an extra 2-3" with the hood bulge. Are you going with headers or manifolds? My donor has long tube headers, but I doubt they will clear the B-Body torsion bars. I wish you luck and success, (as I am about 6 months away from the engine swap, so I will probably copy some of your work :))

Do people usually buy a new windage tray for the engines when they buy the Mildon oil pan?

Starting a thread here for my 69 Satellite Wagon which will be receiving a G3 Hemi Swap.
I need and want a place to ask questions and track my own progress and in terms of B-Bodies, FBBO definitely has a good, active G3 Hemi swap section.

In May 2014, I flew down to Washington, DC with my best friend and together we drove the car home over the course of the weekend, stopping at junkyards along the way and having a blast. It was a Washington, DC area car for its entire life, and I purchased it from the second owner, who bought it from the original owner's son.

318 V8 with Factory A/C
26'' Radiator

I've done a ton of upgrades and rust repairs to the car since I bought it with the help of friends, which I'll cover at some point.

View attachment 513882

Basically, I've got the car's rust pretty much all fixed (anything else it has left is just cosmetic), made it handle, upgraded the brakes and am upgrading them even more this winter, and am working on redoing the interior to make it comfortable, and the next step is to make it run and drive as well as it handles.

3) 2010 Ram 5.7 Hemi ECM

View attachment 513883

I want to get it done over the winter and I want to have the parts collected before too long so I can start before it gets too cold.

So, I thought I'd come on FBBO and ramble on with questions and comments and see if anyone had the time to read what I've written and add their thoughts or experiences.
I'm also doing a lot of reading about Hemi swaps in B-Bodies and E-Bodies to get thoughts on what others have done.

Soon I'll be ordering the Milodon MIL-31000 "Resto Mod" Oil Pan, Milodon 18341 Oil Pickup for 09-16 engines, new oil pickup bolts, a new dipstick, and the TTI Hemi-Swap Engine Mounts.

Not sure if I need anything else with that stuff, do people usually buy a new windage tray?

The car needs to have A/C to be enjoyable for the summer, so I am going to probably remove the factory system and use something from Vintage Air. I need to give them a call and discuss my plans. After all, what's another $800-$1000?!

I'm still undecided on what to use for steering components, the car has power steering that works fine as-is, but I think swapping a Borgeson box might be nice from a space-saving and updating perspective. That will only happen if I have the funds available, though.

That is a bit sticking point for me. I'd prefer not to spend 4 figures on them if I don't have to. Car has the stock gauges right now. Will need to look around and see what others have used.

Wagons use 66-67 B style tanks, and naturally no one makes a tank that is already set up for an in tank pump for one of those.

I am also on Facebook, Instagram (@moparrnocar) and Moparts posting about this - sorry if you've seen me ramble about this stuff before!

If you ever want to get rid of some of that trim let me know

318 V8 with Factory A/C
26'' Radiator

View attachment 513882

3) 2010 Ram 5.7 Hemi ECM

View attachment 513883

I know it’s been a while since you posted, but I am building a Superbird tribute and bought a 2016 wrecked challenger for the 5.7 Hemi with only 7000 miles... I want to add a 545RFE but wanted to know what is needed to make it work? The challenger had an 8 speed that I’m having too many problems getting it to work and wanted to switch to the 545RFE and saw your post..

1: will it fit in the tunnel?
2: can I use my stock column shifter?
3: what electrical components are needed, harness? Computer?
I also purchased a control freak suspension for the 5.7.. any guidance would be greatly appreciated...

318 V8 with Factory A/C
26'' Radiator

View attachment 513882

3) 2010 Ram 5.7 Hemi ECM

View attachment 513883

So from my swap here is a bit of help, hopefully...

Windage trail from Milodon is a decent buy... It keeps the oil from sloshing and is supposed to preserve a pony or two when rough driving. I bought it and installed it...

I would go through and mock up your harness and make sure all of the connectors are correct. Mine required some older style sensors from like the 2005 trucks on my 2009 harness. I had to switch out the alternator, an oil sender, and something else I believe to get my harness to work. Not a big deal but a few bucks here and there and you its better to have it done before you go to install it all and end up searching last minute.

AC- here is what I have learned... the factory evaporator is the size of refrigerator box while the vintage air units are would fit in and Altoids mint tin... a friend has a 6.1 swapped 69 coronet and it has vintage air... on the power tour it barely kept up for the people in the front in the Louisiana heat let alone for the sweaty kids in the back seat... another issue with the vintage air is an often undersized condensor without enough surface area to really cool... So with mine, I bought a new factory evaporator which is 3 times as thick as the VA and twice as wide... we haven't finished plumbing it but the same guy that did the coronet says this should be like an igloo in comparison.. Now lets amplify that into a wagon... I would look at retrofitting the existing setup. You can rebuild the Heater/AC box pretty easily with a kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies...

I have lots of pictures on my build thread and my car is on the lift so I can take more of whatever you need!

Good luck, holler if you need something!
Jeremy

Man, I am glad to stumble upon this thread as I procured a wagon recently and am doing the same thing, and have pretty much the same questions and issues: the steering box, gauges, A/C, gas tank/fuel pump. The Borgeson is pricy but from what I have seen the car set up with the A/C compressor almost requires it. I have the whole donor vehicle and with some creative hood work, I am looking at using the truck front arrangement. The A/C compressor and alternator both mount on top, but it looks like the mounting brackets could be massaged. To prevent thread hi-jacking, I will spare you the details, but mine is a different year wagon and I can get an extra 2-3" with the hood bulge. Are you going with headers or manifolds? My donor has long tube headers, but I doubt they will clear the B-Body torsion bars. I wish you luck and success, (as I am about 6 months away from the engine swap, so I will probably copy some of your work :))

If you look at my build thread and you want to do some fab work, you can run a factory p/s box with a low mount car compressor by cutting the motor perches off the k-member, flipping them backwards and indexing them off he rear mount. Then just cut your spools off the motor mount and move them rearward too. It makes room for the lower mount compressor that way.
45531494512_5299ac0d60_c.jpg
Untitled by rescuediver1982, on Flickr
35525106176_e39b777d5a_c.jpg
Untitled by rescuediver1982, on Flickr

I did a 2016 5.7 ram hemi swap in my 1969 roadrunner with 545rfe this past spring. I ran into alot of hiccups but over all I am very happy I did it. I love to be able to open the garage turn the key and just drive with no problems. My swap should be just about the same as you are doing. Any questions pm me or ask on here I will try to help with what I learned.

20180624_130844.jpg

I did a 2016 5.7 ram hemi swap in my 1969 roadrunner with 545rfe this past spring. I ran into alot of hiccups but over all I am very happy I did it. I love to be able to open the garage turn the key and just drive with no problems. My swap should be just about the same as you are doing. Any questions pm me or ask on here I will try to help with what I learned.

View attachment 673507
I am interested in what power steering pump you are running there!

How hard was it to get mounted? Reservoir is attached?
The reservoir is attached to the pump.
It depends on the motor you have on mounting the pump to the motor.
1 does your motor have a pump already if no like mine then you need to make a adapter spacer like I did out of a 1-1/4" × 4" x 2" block of aluminium I bought off of Ebay for 15 bucks.
2 if you have a older motor with a pump already there it should bolt on (not 100% sure)
I used a 2016 dodge ram motor switch was a problem because it had the throttle body pointing up not forward so I had no clearance for any type of air intake tube. So I had to change the intake manifold to a 2016 300C manifold but then the timing cover had to be replaced and other stuff to make it work. Like alternator, crank pulley, water pump, heater in and out tubes, ac compressor belt, only thin that I was able to re use was belt tensioner and throttle body. My motor came like this

Screenshot_20180508-103928_Google.jpg

The reservoir is attached to the pump.
It depends on the motor you have on mounting the pump to the motor.
1 does your motor have a pump already if no like mine then you need to make a adapter spacer like I did out of a 1-1/4" × 4" x 2" block of aluminium I bought off of Ebay for 15 bucks.
2 if you have a older motor with a pump already there it should bolt on (not 100% sure)
I used a 2016 dodge ram motor switch was a problem because it had the throttle body pointing up not forward so I had no clearance for any type of air intake tube. So I had to change the intake manifold to a 2016 300C manifold but then the timing cover had to be replaced and other stuff to make it work. Like alternator, crank pulley, water pump, heater in and out tubes, ac compressor belt, only thin that I was able to re use was belt tensioner and throttle body. My motor came like this

View attachment 678952
Had to change it over to something like this

Screenshot_20180506-155216_Google.jpg

If anyone cares I just started on here but have done 3 Hemi swaps in B-Bodys. My personal one is a 6.1 545RFE in a 69 Charger. Mine was a left for dead car and did not have anything. Don't let anyone tell you that a hammer takes care of the huge transmission/tunnel/torsion bar crossover clearance problems because it does not. TTI headers makes it easy although pricey.

Only one of these received AC. Car originally did not have AC so used Vintage Air. Fabricated a high mount AC compressor mount. Have not tried the lower mount as listed above although it would in my opinion look a little cleaner.

Shifter was the Lokar 545RFE shifter $389. Would be a trick to try to use a column shifter. I have not attempted that one.

Have fun with the one shot brake switch you have to use for the RFE trans. It's dumb because you have to set the travel on it the first time for the little plunger so you have to fab a bracket with it and also make sure your brake pedal returns toward you when your foot is off the brake so its the same travel every time. I utilized a spring to a stop deal. If you don't get the initial adjustment set you have to buy another brake switch. It's weird.

Harness and computer from hotwireauto.com. Have tried dealing with this myself and the extra money is worth it. I am sure there are smarter people out there that will say something different but simplicity costs more and its worth it for my money.

I am telling you that with the 6.1 and diablo tuner and the 545 with 3.73 gears, it is really fun.

Unfortunately I haven't made progress as quickly as I'd wanted with the swap.
I'm really hoping to get the car running and driving under its own power by mid summer.

Since this post I've removed the 318, test fit the 5.7 enough to realize that the stock Ram passenger side manifold wouldn't fit and found a Grand Cherokee manifold to replace it with, and bought a Borgeson power steering box.

2v2E6v27Lx9jnnR.jpg

I have the motor in the car sans AC compressor as I'm planning to run without it for now.
Now I'm right at the point where I need to start test fitting the trans so I can cut the floor and the crossmember up.
That is really giving me pause though.

Anyone got photos of their floor/crossmember mods needed for the 545RFE swap?

I couldn't attach the pic to your message.
Heres the video also. Again the video is not me and he is fitting a 4L60E not a rfe transmission. The rfe is bigger. you must cut the floor open .

imagejpeg_0_04.jpg

I couldn't attach the pic to your message.
Heres the video also. Again the video is not me and he is fitting a 4L60E not a rfe transmission. The rfe is bigger. you must cut the floor open .

View attachment 736417

Your photo is super helpful! That is exactly what I needed to make this happen - someone else who had some kind of a "roadmap" photo for me to use!
Thanks so, so much!

Auto Transport Service
Back