• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner Engine Mount Tapered Bolt?

Sweet5ltr

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
Looking to purchase two tapered bolts for my new engine mounts. Expected these to be fairly easy to find, not locating them anywhere. These bolts taper down from a larger diameter to fit the smaller, welded nut on the chassis-to-engine mount. Thank you to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

Well that's not exactly how they fit. They actually taper so they were easier to get in. And the taper is just the threads ground off. If you're stuck, plain ol' bolts work just fine.

I should have a couple of those laying around but it'll be this afternoon before I can get to the shop to look for em.....

Well that's not exactly how they fit. They actually taper so they were easier to get in. And the taper is just the threads ground off. If you're stuck, plain ol' bolts work just fine.

If i'm understanding correctly, regardless of the larger opening on one side of the mount, the actual diameter of the bolt is the same that threads into the smaller welded nut?

If i'm understanding correctly, regardless of the larger opening on one side of the mount, the actual diameter of the bolt is the same that threads into the smaller welded nut?
Yup.....they were done that way for quick assembly on the line.

If you're not doing a concourse restoration, standard grade 5 bolts from Home Depot will do the trick.

I actually used two head bolts which have a taper on the head and are the correct thread.

If someone can post a picture of an actual motor mount bolt I would appreciate it.

The head bolts have a shoulder up next to the head but there's no nose on the end. They would work but the head is also thicker and bigger....Also, the stock bolts have a flanged lock nut. At least that's what was on mine.

MVC-021S.JPG

Got me to thinking (that's getting tough for us old farts) when I looked at those and noticed no nuts. Well, stock type motor mounts have the nuts tack welded to them. The bolts I have were on a pair of solid mounts which did not have nuts so that's why they are in the pic.....been a long time since messing with stock mounts lol

Auto Transport Service
Back