• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 b-body Passenger Mirror Option

I forgot. Do I need a mirror or some english lessons? I confused now.

F-IrK5yXUAAMtiR.jpg

I think that we all have the capacity to learn. I try to learn as much as I can. Every day is a new opportunity to learn and improve.
Like it or not, people will judge another by how they present themselves. When I have made a typo here and get called on it, I go back and edit it.
I'd rather that someone tell me that I am UNzipped than to walk around flapping and dragging it on the concrete....

01 funny 7.gif

pretty sure English gets capitalized........ and KD is correct, dragging it on the concrete is, well, a drag ........ I wonder if that is where the term originated

That’s not how I would want to wear mine out.

Do I need a mirror or some english lessons?
What you need is to decide whether or not you are building a Concours level restoration car, or just a Day 2 Restomod or a Hot Rod muscle car.

There is absolutely no point in getting all **** over a passenger door mirror and the correct numbers on your door delay buzzer or dated coded ignition leads unless you are striving for perfection and 100% accuracy.

Unless you are going to try and make a better car than the 69 GTX of Justin's (moparnation74) or close to what Wayne @dadsbee has achieved with his Bee, you're just wasting time and breathe.

That's just someone tightening the mirror up with an air gun! While my left door is now an AMD, the right is original and so is my damaged left stuffed in the corner. None have a dimple. My passenger door was swollen at the stud hole from overtightening and we fixed it. Zero dimple on any doors... or my Bee.. or my HP2.. or the Dart.. lol

Consider that the right mirror is an option. Nobody was dimpling some doors and not others based on the broadcast sheet as they came down the line.

How many examples of this do you need to see to consider the possibility that some were stamped that way?

Yup, the dimple is caused by people cranking on the mirror hardware...

Sorry Greg, the dimple is stamped but not with a real die.. The mirror acts as a die...

How many examples of this do you need to see to consider the possibility that some were stamped that way?
ALL holes - regardless of the panel - are stamped when the panel is still a flat blank. That way all the punches are moving on the same plane. Doesn't matter make or model - its how the stamping process works. Also, a number of holes are locator holes for the rest of the stamping or forming process. As for adding "dimples" ... a total waste of time when manufacturing the die. Neither mirrors non door handles got "dimples".

Well, ****.
It seems odd that almost every drivers door that I've seen has that "mound" regardless of the overall condition on the door. I'm talking even on original paint doors that had the original mirrors on them or correct replacements. I admit that the stretch is certainly possible from over-tightening but with every door? I have 4 or 5 Charger doors out back that I haven't looked closely at in awhile but now I'm curious.
Dwayne's car has a failing left door mirror, I'll be replacing that soon and surely make note of the shape of the metal:

DB 15B - Copy.JPG

I guess none of these 50+ year old panels are original anymore so seeing the mound on any of them may still be the result of overtightening....but it has me curious.
Heck...I'm retired and have some free time now.

Step one, somebody hangs on the mirror, usually a male in the six to eight year old category... Next the mirror wiggles so someone pulls the door panel & tightens the mirror hardware, probably at the same time they use their jigsaw to cut holes for speakers.... Next six to eight year old now nine years old hangs on mirror again..... Dammit the mirror is loose again... I'll fix that, gonna crank that bitch down so it'll never move again...

Years later resto guy pulls mirror & finds raised dimple... Must be OE.... I saw the same dimple on Bob's Charger & Tony's GTX.... Accept Bob & Tony's cars belonged to guys who had sons too... Hey, come to think of it I'll bet Pappa Kern had someone tighten up a mirror or two as well...

Thing is the bottom of the mirror has a recess that the sheet metal deforms into... If the bottom of the mirror were flat the door would still be flat....

Perhaps you've noticed there are a couple different shapes to these stamped dimples.... What do you think the chances are the recess on the back of the remote mirror is shaped differently than the base mirror....

Well, ****.
It seems odd that almost every drivers door that I've seen has that "mound" regardless of the overall condition on the door. I'm talking even on original paint doors that had the original mirrors on them or correct replacements. I admit that the stretch is certainly possible from over-tightening but with every door? I have 4 or 5 Charger doors out back that I haven't looked closely at in awhile but now I'm curious.
Dwayne's car has a failing left door mirror, I'll be replacing that soon and surely make note of the shape of the metal:

View attachment 1557913

I guess none of these 50+ year old panels are original anymore so seeing the mound on any of them may still be the result of overtightening....but it has me curious.
Heck...I'm retired and have some free time now.
I have two different doors for my road runner, they have the same dimple as well. It's a nice rounded dome shape, doesn't look like it was sucked up by over tightening.

Couldn’t we all be right? Maybe it was done Bruno at the assembly line with his air wrench? Maybe it was the factory?

However, I really like 1 Wild R/T’s time line. But maybe instead of little boys over the years maybe just maybe it was Uncle hanks girlfriend having some hanky panky and she was pulling on the mirror! This would explain why both mirrors had dimples!

I just looked at the other door and it’s dimpled only on one hole. I now believe the factory did not do this. If the factory did this it would be because it was intentionally done. Die’s are very specific. If the bottom of the mirros are flat and the assembly doesn’t benefit having dimples or worse the assembly is more precarious with the dimples; then it would stand to reason it was post assembly wear.

Ok back to dragging Tony’s Johnson on the cement?

Step one, somebody hangs on the mirror, usually a male in the six to eight year old category... Next the mirror wiggles so someone pulls the door panel & tightens the mirror hardware, probably at the same time they use their jigsaw to cut holes for speakers.... Next six to eight year old now nine years old hangs on mirror again..... Dammit the mirror is loose again... I'll fix that, gonna crank that bitch down so it'll never move again...

Years later resto guy pulls mirror & finds raised dimple... Must be OE.... I saw the same dimple on Bob's Charger & Tony's GTX.... Accept Bob & Tony's cars belonged to guys who had sons too... Hey, come to think of it I'll bet Pappa Kern had someone tighten up a mirror or two as well...

Thing is the bottom of the mirror has a recess that the sheet metal deforms into... If the bottom of the mirror were flat the door would still be flat....

Perhaps you've noticed there are a couple different shapes to these stamped dimples.... What do you think the chances are the recess on the back of the remote mirror is shaped differently than the base mirror....

Couldn’t we all be right? Maybe it was done Bruno at the assembly line with his air wrench? Maybe it was the factory?

However, I really like 1 Wild R/T’s time line. But maybe instead of little boys over the years maybe just maybe it was Uncle hanks girlfriend having some hanky panky and she was pulling on the mirror! This would explain why both mirrors had dimples!

I just looked at the other door and it’s dimpled only on one hole. I now believe the factory did not do this. If the factory did this it would be because it was intentionally done. Die’s are very specific. If the bottom of the mirros are flat and the assembly doesn’t benefit having dimples or worse the assembly is more precarious with the dimples; then it would stand to reason it was post assembly wear.

Ok back to dragging Tony’s Johnson on the cement?
Eggsactly.

Auto Transport Service
Back