• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 bb engine harness -2 or 4 pin ballast?

all the cars I see have 2 pin ballast.
466831-1000-0.jpg
Coronet-1970-red-440-auto-17.jpg

The four pin ballast is for electronic ignition. Your new wiring harness probably has an ECU connector as well. I would get the right harness unless you want to convert to electronic.

If you have electronic ignition already, with a four pin ECU then a two pin ballast will work. The other two wires in the ballast connector do nothing with a four pin ECU.

4 pin balladt were designed to use with 5 pin ECUs. Have not seen a 5 pin ECU in years.

yes I do have electronic ignition on my 440

There are two ways to go. You could just connect the two correct wires to your ballast and call it done. Or you could install a dual ballast , and plug in the connectors the way they are. It might look cleaner. That way you could also run a 5 pin ECU. If your ECU quit in the middle of nowhere and the only one you could find was an old 5 pin, then it would work.

I just feel if I put a 4 pin ballast someone will say-thats not right for that car. Got to love people.

Unless its a 72 dont worry about it. First year for it anyway in 73 they went to the 4 pin..

Auto Transport Service
Back