• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Coronet electrical question

terminationephx

Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
in my 1970 coronet, the electric works for starting the car and some of the lighting in the front of the car like the headlights and high beams. the rest of the electric, all interior lights, gauges, rear lights and all other accessories do not work. The electrical firewall bulkhead connector has 3 plugs that get connected to it. it seems the top one does not have anything connected to it and i am assuming this is the issue. does anyone know what the top wiring connector usually connects to? any suggestions or help would be appreciated. i bought the shop manual and the wiring configuration chart is way to complicated for me to understand. again, the car has all original equipment and i wanted to start piecing some of the electric together in the event i decide to sell her.

Top slot on your bulkhead connector is your wiper motor...Middle had the power running in from large wire with fusible link from starter relay....Check the fusible link, Check the connection of that red wire to the amnmeter on the backside of your dash cluster, if not that check your starter relay.

thanks

Thanks for the response..,.where do you think the fusable link is behind the dash? what does it look like?thanks again

Thanks for the response..,.where do you think the fusable link is behind the dash? what does it look like?thanks again

The fusable link I was referring to is under the hood and is on the wire that runs from the starter relay to the bulkhead connector in the middle slot. Wish I had a pic, but unfortunately I don't. Look for a black, blue or brown insulated lump on the wire. Usually has a tab on the edge that says "fusable link" right on it.

Also....this may sound offbeat, but check your ground to your battery. The terminal and to the block/car.

Top slot on your bulkhead connector is your wiper motor...Middle had the power running in from large wire with fusible link from starter relay....Check the fusible link, Check the connection of that red wire to the amnmeter on the backside of your dash cluster, if not that check your starter relay.

Propwash is right. I checked my 70 Roadrunner and the fusible link is on the top right "hole" of the middle connector (2nd one down) as you described... the plug right under the one you have nothing going to. With my not-so-good original wiring I put a 30amp inline fuse there to save my fusible link. That wire supplies power for 90% of the car and the fuse is a good safety for the wiring.

Years ago I thought about putting a "stealth switch" in that wire so I could cut off all the power to the car (except I would run it to the ignition only). With a second "stealth switch" on the brake light the car could sort of "disappear" at night (only headlights and ignition would work) :cya: .....just in case you were ever being followed at 140mph by someone with flashing lights on top their car..... not that I would have ever needed that back then....:angeldevil:

thanks

i appreciate the information and will see what i can do tomorrow when i am scheduled to work on the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back