• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 FM3 Satellite Conv - The car that should have been crushed

Looking good. This is a color that there can't be any debate needing the blackout behind the grill treatment, can it?

Grate work all look's well. Know the feeling of it should have gone to the crusher. I wondered what I had gotten my self into when working on my rust bucket. LOL. But now am having a grate time with it. :thumbsup:

UPDATE 6/13/22: I finally for the engine in paint and will be installing it in the next couple of weeks. Here's a few points of interest.
1) No big surprise, when I took it a part the nylon coating was missing on a lot of the timing gear teeth, so it probably didn't run very well and that may have contributed to the car being parked forever.
2) One big surprise was that the block had been repaired by the factory (middle picture). I was told by the machine shop that they see these kind of repairs on perhaps 1 out of 10 old Mopar blocks. Not sure how true that is, but mine obviously was factory repaired as the heads had never been removed. The repair looks decent, but the area was ground down a little too low. Had to add a little sealer around the head gasket in that corner. I'm sure there was an oil leak in that corner before.
3) If it wasn't for the fact that I had restored another 1970 318 (on my FM3 Challenger), I would not have noticed that the top right (left in this picture) bolt on the cam thrust plate was not correct from the factory. That bolt is supposed to have a hole in it so that oil would drip down onto the timing chain. Did this lead to the timing gear damage ? maybe. anyways I didn't have the correct bolt so I drilled a hole down the middle of it.

cam oiler.jpg

factory block repair.jpg

timing gear.jpg

I replaced the exhaust heat rise setup using an NOS kit I got from ebay. The dowel pins (stop pins) that are pressed into the manifold didn't come in the kit and the original ones were pretty shot. I ended up replacing them with new ones that I bought from Mcmaster Carr.

So, I decided to go with the original factory look, knowing that the paint will burn off the exhaust manifolds. In an attempt to ensure they will never look rusty, I baked on some Seymours Cast Blast 1200F manifold paint before painting the engine. I have never seen this done before, so I hope it works.

I sealed the engine with DP90LF and then painted it using blue paint that I bought from Frank Badalson. Frank does not claim this is the correct paint for a 70 318 as he is only familiar with the performance cars. On my 70 Challanger I learned that the color he is selling for 71-74 engines is the correct color for 70 318s.

That's it for now, next update will be with the engine installed and with the windshield installed. I waited 6 months for my glass to come in......

engine paint1.jpg

engine paint2.jpg

engine prepaint1.jpg

engine prime.jpg

UPDATE 6/13/22: I finally for the engine in paint and will be installing it in the next couple of weeks. Here's a few points of interest.
1) No big surprise, when I took it a part the nylon coating was missing on a lot of the timing gear teeth, so it probably didn't run very well and that may have contributed to the car being parked forever.
2) One big surprise was that the block had been repaired by the factory (middle picture). I was told by the machine shop that they see these kind of repairs on perhaps 1 out of 10 old Mopar blocks. Not sure how true that is, but mine obviously was factory repaired as the heads had never been removed. The repair looks decent, but the area was ground down a little too low. Had to add a little sealer around the head gasket in that corner. I'm sure there was an oil leak in that corner before.
3) If it wasn't for the fact that I had restored another 1970 318 (on my FM3 Challenger), I would not have noticed that the top right (left in this picture) bolt on the cam thrust plate was not correct from the factory. That bolt is supposed to have a hole in it so that oil would drip down onto the timing chain. Did this lead to the timing gear damage ? maybe. anyways I didn't have the correct bolt so I drilled a hole down the middle of it.

View attachment 1298239

View attachment 1298240

View attachment 1298241
I have had countless mopars and have never seen a block 'repaired' by the factory like that. It was probably done by someone over the years. It looks like epoxy?

I have had countless mopars and have never seen a block 'repaired' by the factory like that. It was probably done by someone over the years. It looks like epoxy?
The repair was done with nickel. here's an underside shot. you can see the spatter from the welding process,

factory block repair2.jpg

The repair was done with nickel. here's an underside shot. you can see the spatter from the welding process,

View attachment 1298315
Interesting. It could have been done at the foundry, but again, I've never seen this before. Usually any casting issues like this, the block gets recycled by the foundry but who knows for sure? Very unique at any rate.

UPDATE 7/25/22: The engine is now installed and I am almost ready to put on the front tires. I installed the engine semi-factory style - from below. I found it is easier to leave the carb off (which is out for resto) and roll the engine under the car rotated 90 degrees, so that I didn't have to jack up the front end as high. Once under the car I spun the engine around, lowered the body down and then used a couple jacks and some blocks of wood to raise the engine/trans up into place. Took me about 2 hours.

In the last picture you can see an original style oil filter (green with sandy texture and raise "M"). I installed it just for the pictures.....

engine install1.jpg

engine install2.jpg

engine install3.jpg

engine on cart1.jpg

engine on cart2.jpg

In other news, after waiting over 6 months I was able to get my properly date coded tinted windshield from ECS. Here it is installed. kind of pain to install. I followed the instructions in the service manual, but can't imagine that is how it was installed at the factory. You shove the glass into the upper part of the seal and the use plastic tools to flip the seal over the edge of the glass along the sides and bottom.

3M 08509 Automotive Glazing and Bedding Compound is definitely the stuff to use when setting windshields in these cars.

I would like to say that Precision makes an excellent fitting windshield weatherseal.

windshield installed.jpg

UPDATE 7/25/22: The engine is now installed and I am almost ready to put on the front tires. I installed the engine semi-factory style - from below. I found it is easier to leave the carb off (which is out for resto) and roll the engine under the car rotated 90 degrees, so that I didn't have to jack up the front end as high. Once under the car I spun the engine around, lowered the body down and then used a couple jacks and some blocks of wood to raise the engine/trans up into place. Took me about 2 hours.

In the last picture you can see an original style oil filter (green with sandy texture and raise "M"). I installed it just for the pictures.....

View attachment 1318463

View attachment 1318464

View attachment 1318465

View attachment 1318466

View attachment 1318467
Very cool. Live the color and originality you are doing. Looks like day one. I'm installing engines the same way. I have a cart already that I will modify. I saw that company's stuff and it is excellent. I'm ordering roof rail weather strip for mine.

UPDATE 11/14/2022: My project is at the point where I can finally put the car on wheels, though I still need a driveshaft. I got a pair of used rotors from PLMHEMI, which I was able to get a good turn out of, so I can still maintain the original 2-piece style rotor setup. I also got a set of NOS rear brake shoes and a used pair of rear backing plates from him, which was a tremendous help.

Axle_AssemblyD.jpg

Axle_AssemblyF.jpg

Front_SuspensionF.jpg

NOS_BrakesA.jpg

NOS_BrakesB.jpg

RotorsA.jpg

As you can see from the first picture, my rear end was pretty rough. not to mention that the pieces of frame rail attached to it would normally be disturbing.....
As you can tell from my earlier pictures, I replaced the frame rails.

I reproduced the assembly date and part number stampings. www.e-bodies.org were a great resource for the stamps. They ID'd the correct fonts and give you the files and the instructions for ordering the rubber stamps.

The exhaust system is from Accurate Exhaust. It fit pretty well.

I had to replace the leaf springs as one of them was broken. I purchased a great replacement set from Eaton Springs and reused the original short leaf that has the original part number stamped into it.

I do have the gas tank installed, but the terminal for the sending unit fell apart inside the tank when I plugged the wire into it. So now I have to wait until a new one comes in.

I have my own website for my projects (warning they are not all Mopars), which is where I go into a lot more detail. Nothing wrong with this website, it's just that who knows how many years this content be available?

1970 FM3 Plymouth Satellite Convertible Project Intro

Rearend_BeforeA.jpg

Rearend_Code.jpg

Rearend_DateCode.jpg

Rearend_InstallA.jpg

Rearend_InstallD.jpg

Spring_Part_Numbers.jpg

Alot of great detail on this car !!! No stone unturned excellent work!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back