• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 GTX 440+6 and Barracuda sitting in backyard since 1982

Im with ya Patrick, but doesnt it kill your mopar heart seeing that vintage iron rotting due to someone making a point?

It may not be someone "making a point", he may just be a guy that has great memories of those cars, doesn't need to sell nor wants to sell, and is happy just leaving them as they are...for whatever reason. Maybe they were his Dad's and he wants to hang onto them. He has a fence around them for a reason.

maybe he'll sell the tv this stuff happens alot just keep an eye on them and time will tell

Nice thing about the USA is that we still consider private property to be just that, private; and as such, the owner can do whatever the hell he wants with them. They're behind a fence in the guy's backyard, hurting no one. And if they rot away, they rot away. Some people won't sell, no matter what. And if they have been there for 30 years, there is a good chance they'll be there 30 more.

Exactly right. It's a shame to see them just sitting, but they're in Southern California so they're not in imminent danger of dissolving. They're private property, and he can do as he wishes. We don't know his motivations for hanging onto them.

Eventually, things change. Owners die, properties get foreclosed, people change their minds, etc. The cars will still be there then, and they'll eventually get a new home. Since the location of the cars are well known, there's little chance they'll get hauled off to the crusher.

How many of these are around the country right now, laying out in the woods forgotten, slowly rusting back into the ground? That's the scenario that really makes me cringe! These cars? Not so much. They're dry, contained, and well known. In time, they'll find the proper home.

Nice thing about the USA is that we still consider private property to be just that, private; and as such, the owner can do whatever the hell he wants with them. They're behind a fence in the guy's backyard, hurting no one. And if they rot away, they rot away. Some people won't sell, no matter what. And if they have been there for 30 years, there is a good chance they'll be there 30 more.

Depends on where in the USA you live. That property would have been condemned a long time ago if it were located where I live. Fence or no fence the owner would have been forced to clean up the property, license the cars or they'd be hauled off at the owners expense.

A lot of people that hoard cars and never fix them really believe they want to fix them.. "some day". I've seen it a lot personally and its sad when it never happens. But like one poster said, these cars will likely outlive all of us as long as they aren't in a harsh environment. So someday they will be snatched up by the right people and put back together. As long as those cars are in Cali I look at them as being in a time capsule so when that gentleman decides to sell, they get passed down or what have you, they'll still be in good shape for a restoration.

I was thinking about moving to Utah someday after I'm done here in Colorado but I didn't know it was that bad!

I was thinking about moving to Utah someday after I'm done here in Colorado but I didn't know it was that bad!

You're assuming too much. I didn't say that was the case everywhere/anywhere in Utah. But it is the case where I live, and it's generally a good thing, (that is if you care about your community, and your property value). Its no different than in many, many other areas in States throughout this entire Country.
People may think those cars are going to be safe right where they're at for many years to come, but that may not be the case. People may find them gone one day and not necessarily to a good home.
If you think there aren't areas in Colorado where City ordinances exist that address run down properties such as the one in this Thread you're mistaken.

It puzzles me as to why people care so much, as to what people do or don't with their stuff. If it's not for sale....move on.

No bingo. I don't think anyone here really believes that. So few Mopar muscle cars were made and even more are gone, thanks in no small part to people like him. Yes, you can push a '71 Hemi 'Cuda conv. off of a cliff if you own it, but it doesn't make it right.

MMissle, I KNOW you really don't believe your own words. I know you say to yourself how rotten it is when you see a good Mopar rotting into the ground and they wont sell it. Those owners are mental. I know one body man who had lots of collectible cars and he told me that if he didn't get the price he wanted, he'd let them just sit and rot and that is just exactly what happened to what used to be a really nice '41 Ford 2 door 5 window coupe. He was a grumpy atheist that has an attitude; he's very stubborn.

^^^A local guy here had FIVE winged cars sitting in his backyard for well over twenty years. Another was in his garage, but drivable. We're not talking shells here, but complete cars, parked and sitting. He refused to sell to anyone, holding the cars for his sons...which was his right to do...they were HIS to do with whatever he wanted. He died a few years ago, and his boys sold them off; because they didn't care about nor want the cars, they wanted the MONEY. I don't follow winged cars, so what happened to them after they were sold is anyone's guess. Perhaps, sitting in someone else's yard, generating hate and discord from the people that can't have what the other guy has.

- - - Updated - - -

So few Mopar muscle cars were made and even more are gone, thanks in no small part to people like him.

They still exist. It's not like those cars vanished into the air! It's just that they are not YOURS and you can't have them.

Really Sublime? I didn't know that about Utah. Our neighbors have had crap cars sitting in thier driveway since they moved in. It's been about 2 years now and the city hasn't done anything about it but the people across the street had an old jacuzzi sitting out for a few months and they were ticketed so I know the city has been around.

Look at the bars on the windows of the house. Nothing good goes on there.

They ALL have bars....
Anyway, yeah..the GTX should be in the garage.
I'll BET..if you went there with $15K you'd get the GTX...

Really Sublime? I didn't know that about Utah. Our neighbors have had crap cars sitting in thier driveway since they moved in. It's been about 2 years now and the city hasn't done anything about it but the people across the street had an old jacuzzi sitting out for a few months and they were ticketed so I know the city has been around.

Depends on where you live, city ordinances, how strict the city code enforcement officers are, etc. And if there is a HOA where you live, they can be very strict. Also depends on the neighbors in your area, some people take a lot of pride in their homes and yards and aren't at all reluctant to make the city aware of an issue that concerns them. It just depends.

- - - Updated - - -

They ALL have bars....
Anyway, yeah..the GTX should be in the garage.
I'll BET..if you went there with $15K you'd get the GTX...

A truck, empty car hauler and cash quite often gets the car. Although it might be a bit of a job to get that GTX out of there.

One approach is to prove your love for these old cars by driving a decent driver up to pay a visit. Have your friend ask if you can come and just talk cars. As you're talking, suggest that there might be opportunity to fix one up if they wanted to do so. The chances are fair that they'd let one go to save another. Hey, if you don't ask..

Patrick, I have to agree with you to an extent. Its fine to have it behing a fence but when our government wants to remove it the will do just that. Maybe the reason is one of his kids could have owned it and its something he wants to hold on too. It is a shame that some will let the cars just sit and go to waste, but as you stated it is their right. Happy New Year!!!

One approach is to prove your love for these old cars by driving a decent driver up to pay a visit. Have your friend ask if you can come and just talk cars. As you're talking, suggest that there might be opportunity to fix one up if they wanted to do so. The chances are fair that they'd let one go to save another. Hey, if you don't ask..

I took this approach once on a car I found when I used to live in San Antonio. I sometimes jump on the motorcycle and cruise random neighborhoods in the summer, just to see what is sitting around that's visible from the street. On one such ride, I found an E-body sitting under a car cover in the driveway of a typical mid-60's neighborhood. After a couple of slow ride-by's it was pretty easy to tell it was an AAR Cuda (spoiler, "hump" on the hood, side exit exhaust, quarter-mounted antenna). I knocked on the door and was met with the apparent owner's wife. Could tell she had been pestered about the car, as she was pretty unpleasant, but I did confirm it was an AAR.

I decided to do an occasional drive-by in hopes of finding the husband (owner) out in the yard so I could speak directly with him. I even tried to time my drive-by's by the grass height in the yard in hopes of catching him out on mowing day! Eventually, I got lucky and drove by when I was driving my 67 R/T. It was a great ice-breaker, and we struck up a good conversation. He was interested in my car, and I got him to pull the partially-rotten cover off the AAR. He was the original owner, and it was all there, but very tired. It hadn't been started in a couple of years, and the paint and interior were pretty beat. But, it existed and was all there, save for a couple of minor window trim pieces.

Over the next few months, I'd stop by and visit with him on occasion. Not always in my R/T, and we didn't always talk about the Cuda. I just wanted to build a rapport. Eventually, I "popped the question" about selling me the car. By his own admission, he was never going to restore the car, and alternated between considering selling it to me, and keeping it. I could tell the car had a lot of significance to him and held a lot of memories. But, he also realized it was deteriorating, and felt bad.

I kept touching base and occasionally offering a fair amount for the car. I even purchased a couple of the trim items and gave them to him to show good faith, and that my interest was in seeing the car saved and restored. I offered to come over and help him get it running so that he could at least drive and enjoy it again. But, I never could really get him to make a decision on the car over the course of a couple of years.

I wish this long story had a happy ending for me, but it doesn't. He ended up giving it to his dead-beat son-in-law, who didn't have any real interest in the car beyond the cash value. It ended up on eBay and sold to someone out of state. I'm sure the car got restored and is sitting in someone's garage or collection now. But, my investment in time didn't pay off for me. Sometimes it doesn't. I have other success stories of buying cars, including my all-original 67 R/T that I've had since 1982.

JD

TX67RT,
You didn't get the car, but at least you befriended someone. He probably enjoyed your visits.

I have to ask, what color is your '67 R/T? Love those cars!

BRING A NICE WAD OF CASH SHOW HOW SERIOUS YOU ARE ! A FEW HUNDRED CRISP GREEN BACKS WAVED INFRONT OF HIM JUST MIGHT DO THE TRICK!? IF NOT WAIT TIL HE DIES THEN A GUY WOULD GET HIS SHOT!!:headbang:/SIZE]

Auto Transport Service
Back