• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 GTX missing digit on Vin Tag

classiccar68

Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
Members,

I was looking into purchasing a 1970 GTX in NY and noticed during the research the vin tag in the picture was only 12 digits. I contacted the owner and she said the Lynch Road Plant produced vin tags with 12 digits. Has anyone ever heard this?

Scott

A buddy has a 70 GTX with a 12 digit vin...it's missing the "U" for 440 4bbl... however both fender tag and door sticker have the full 13 digit Vin

Members,

I was looking into purchasing a 1970 GTX in NY and noticed during the research the vin tag in the picture was only 12 digits. I contacted the owner and she said the Lynch Road Plant produced vin tags with 12 digits. Has anyone ever heard this?

Scott
The were not made that way on purpose. Just a accidental mistake. Rare but out there. All the rest had better be there. Do your homework on all the rest of the documentation. 13 should be on the title. The core support, trunk rail, fender tag and build sheet documentation should be verified.

Is there a space with nothing in it or are all the numbers and letters pushed together with just one thing missing ?

All the numbers are pushed together with just one missing digit. I have never seen anything like it. However, at least one member above has a friend with a similar vin tag from the Lynch Road Plant.

My buddy's tag all runs together...no empty space

I was looking at a 73 road runner a few years ago, title, door sticker, data tag all showed G for 318 engine but vin on dash showed V???? A lot of stuff being smoked back then. Lol

....and the VS29P4 Duster.

I'd have loved to build that car as if it were a factory 400 car.

I'll try at some point...but he's gone for the winter

Auto Transport Service
Back