• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Hemi RR engine compartment pics

Lucky Lar

Local time
1:24 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody have any good photos of the engine compartment for a correct 1970 Hemi RR
with & without the air Grabber air cleaner in place they could share

I am just trying to see what is & is not correct on my car

one thing i am trying to figure out is the air cleaner base, some have material that that goes in front of the air filter.

Below are pictures of mine, please let me know what you notice that is not correct

All comments will be appreciated

Thanks Larry

20151101_091616_resized.jpg20151101_091631_resized.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another pic of what i am talking about

70ply81458-08.jpg

Biggest problem there is your name on title instead of mine. I'm not knowledgeable enough to critique it, but i like it.

The baffle on the front of the air cleaner base is for non air grabber cars.
Everything looks pretty good to me except cap off on battery, I thought it would have gotten a power steering cooler but I might be wrong about that.

Saw the battery cap on in second pic lol.
Very nice btw

440+6 so the baffle on the other car is incorrect? it is also a air grabber car

i was thinking the baffle was to protect the filter on the air grabber cars since they are kind of exposed

do you know the reasoning for it on the non a/g cars?

Thanks

Beautiful ride... Any chance of more pics of the exterior. Is it a four speed?

I thought the same about the power steering cooler.

- - - Updated - - -

i was thinking the baffle was to protect the filter on the air grabber cars since they are kind of exposed

Thanks

As 440 6 said the baffle is for non air grabber cars.

it is a 4 speed

i will add some more pics

i don't think the car had P/S from the factory so you guys are probably correct

do you have any pics of the cooler you are talking about, i was not aware of a cooler

i just found the below info you guys are correct

for cars without fresh-air hood. Note air/water shield on base in front of filter, this is to prevent water from being blown directly into the filter from the engine fan

- - - Updated - - -

017.jpg019.jpg

Thanks

The other car is incorrect, the baffle is to keep the water from splashing if it comes through the radiator and fan, the air grabber has the orange door on the front of the air box that acts like the baffle, and you should keep the air grabber door closed if it's raining lol.
I just noticed the other car does have the power steering cooler, I can post a pic of mine if you like, it's just a lowly six barrel car but the cooler is the same.

i think it was originally purchased in Texas to race
don't think it had p/s or p/b from the factory
it was also a stripe delete car

- - - Updated - - -

yes please post a pic of your cooler & thanks for all the info

Really nice RR, love the color combo.

A lot of what's "correct" may not apply to a particular car from a particular plant. Mine has at least a half dozen items that are "incorrect" by most books but just stuff done by the workers and/or plant processes of the day. That included the incorrect base for the air grabber in the case of my car which was a 440-6.

If you want to be really nitpicky your master cylinder is an aftermarket replacement, original Bendix units will not have the little machining divot at the end of the casting.

it's all wrong,i'll give ya a thousand bucks for it.lol

Here are a couple of pics, and signet is correct about the master.
As far as the PS cooler all six barrel and hemi 4 speeds automatically got the max cooling package, if it had power steering it would have a cooler.

IMG_7554.jpg
IMG_7557.jpg
IMG_7558.jpg

Thanks guys for the comments & pics those are the kind of things i want to know

Can the cooler be bought anywhere?

also should it have a Saginaw pump like yours, because mine does not?

your engine compartment looks great, nice job

Megaparts has repo coolers ( I'm sure others do too), and pump should be Saginaw (95% sure).

Different pump (saginaw) on the 440-6 car. I don't think I've ever seen a PS cooler on a Hemi (Federal) pump.

pumpsfront.JPG

Richard should my 70 Hemi have a Saginaw or could it have come with a federal?

ok thanks, i am new to these cars & am trying to learn as much as i can & want to correct anything that not correct

Ok i have a 70 Hemi but it has wrong carbs from a 68 Hemi

The 70 rear carb has an additional vacuum inlet high on the carb next to where the fuel inlet is (& the 68 carb does not have this) which i think goes to the breather on the right valve cover. So the correct breather has 2 inlets one to the carb & the other one goes to the back right side of the bottom black air cleaner housing. is this correct? Also the other vacuum inlet at the bottom rear of the carb goes to the pvc valve on the left side valve cover. Just trying to figure out haw all this works. i am used to working on older cars that dont have all this clean air stuff

thanks All comments are appreciated

Put Sunday, January 3rd on your calendar and make the 40 mile drive to Blackhawk, Danville, for cars and coffee. Weather permitting. I'd like to see your car in person.

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back