• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Roadrunner Build

garrett1308

Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
Ratrunner? Not sure if I like the sound of that. Its a 70 383 4 speed car, bucket/buddy seat, hood pins and roadrunner décor package car. Wanted a 70 roadrunner post car since I first got into Chryslers. Have one high dollar 70 project already, so decided to do this as a cheap build.

Got an organ donor for it off craigslist, 5.7 hemi automatic 2003 dodge 1500. Putting the motor, trans, and every wire (except ABS, airbag, and door wiring harnesses) from the truck into the roadrunner. Little overhead console, shift linkage and steering column going in as well. Just put in a sweep dash to be cut up for gauges and all the controls the truck had. Currently at a body shop, but ill be doing all the work to it.

On Friday I got the car's interior gutted, and fit the AC box under a sweep dash. Some things were cut off the box, but should have enough for selecting AC and heat with either defog or dash AC vents. Also clearanced the box for full wiper motor rotation. Monday should give me time enough to lay out the interior wiring harness so I can figure out AC and light control locations, as well as fitting the gauges and steering column.

After that, going to pull it all back out to fit the motor and transmission, (cutting the transmission tunnel to leave enough room for the transmission) followed by putting the floor back together and patching its rust holes, fixing the drum brakes, and setting up the gas tank. All in all, should have well under 10 grand in what I expect to be the junkiest looking car at local car shows. Don't plan on doing much exterior wise. May end up DA'ing the car down to metal then painting it with DTM black, don't want a second car that I have to oil the outside of.

unnamed.jpg

rebuild 3.jpg

Rebuild 2.jpg

2018-06-22 003.JPG

AC Box post cut initial fitment.jpg

AC box and dash fitment.jpg

Sounds like you are going to be a little busy. Good luck with the project!

Gauges, overhead console, steering column, and light and AC controls have been mounted for a while now. The interior harness is in and mostly connected. Waiting for the rain to go away to swap the power steering box for a manual one, then connect the column to it.

0A74C9EE-7A59-4A64-81B5-CFDF56DBE6EB.jpeg
58EBEBC9-19FC-4629-8EFA-79A78485E956.jpeg
5DDB18EF-7080-4F74-8044-F9C4A3912BE2.jpeg
F1C04525-F932-47D5-AEBC-1F590621B853.jpeg

Yes, don’t want to mess with setting up the ps pump. Also, the manual box will give more clearance.

Motor mounts went from DIY to DIWHY (they were solid mount and wouldn’t let the manual steering box clear). So they’re getting cut off for version 2. This time, while still diy, they’ll be polyurethane and will allow the steering box the fit, that’s the dream at least.

A7530C0E-EEF4-4967-B09D-0F8141E8AAFD.jpeg

A4AF7936-C9FE-408D-8C5A-728F4BA9BC52.jpeg

294A6097-6016-4CC4-81A2-36DCCAFDBF2B.jpeg

watching, cool car

Been quite while since I’ve had time to work on it. Got the motor sitting in the bay for mock up, and should have the motor mounts drying by tonight.

269B7B0D-20B7-46A0-92AF-7D74A011DAA3.jpeg 68FF2C5D-B0F9-47E3-8835-F78BAD641E01.jpeg

Motor mounts were mocked up (pictured) and are now back out with the polyeurethane drying. Motor sits a little higher than expected, but that keeps me from spending money on the oil pan, pickup and oil filter relocation kit. Can easily get the oil filter off as it sits. Have a rusted out hood that will either get the cowl induction hump built way up, or a massive hood scoop put on to accommodate the ridiculously high sitting ac compressor and alternator. Doesn’t bug me as I should be under 5 in this car running and driving.

Should have the steering column fabbed up tomorrow. Trans mount will come whenever the motor mounts are dried. Starting to come together.
B76BCF1D-3102-4840-AD23-C235920D9F28.jpeg

Not much progress, motor is sitting comfortably in the bay with ready to go mounts, starting to get it wired back up.

Apparently the power steering and manual steering boxes have different size input shafts, so the couple I had didn’t fit. Digging one of them up this coming week and then should have the steering functional again.

73381AE1-E0A3-41FB-8979-0708D8889E2A.jpeg
DAEBD46D-447B-4BD7-9BAC-5FAA73E45035.jpeg
230563CB-5B5B-4ACD-9171-A3E1C66203AE.jpeg

Drug it out of the back and returned it to the shop the other day (first time in many months). Only dropped it off the dolly’s twice.

Swapped a buddy with a transmission shop for the correct tailshaft a few months back (had the 4wd one). Finally got it bolted up. Started on the trans crossmember. Got it halfway welded up should have it done tomorrow.

Have the steering functional down to the pitman arm.

Found out that a center sump oil pan is necessary to keep the original steering -oil pan is sitting right in the Wayne of the drag link. Weighing my options on it, making my own drag link to clear the current pan is definitely in the realm of possibilities.

More pictures and work to come tomorrow.

74E0E49A-0508-45A7-B99A-E86DF9FF77EB.jpeg

C23C730F-5F9B-4CDC-A4DF-4804AC16C9F0.jpeg

Cool car. Buddy of mine has a 1970 Roadrunner FC7/white vinyl and interior 383/4spd car. He bought it 10 years ago for $2500 at the time I thought he was nuts. It’s missing engine/trans/interior and needs most panels replaced including the rear frame rails that are like Swiss cheese. It does have the fender tag and he scored an absolutely mint rallye gauge cluster for $500 shortly after buying the car. I Keep bugging him to get working on it or at least move it inside. Also have been trying to get him to sell it to me for the last year or two with no luck!

Transmission cross member is mostly complete, just need to mount a bushing to it and bolt it to the tailshaft. Mocked up the drag link, its functional and clears the oil pan, will be remaking it for long term use. Floors on the driver side have been patched, passenger side and trunk are next. Gas pedal and pedal module are mounted in the car. Stringing up the rest of the wiring to see how it'll all fit. Battery in the trunk is going to be a must with the fuse and relay center taking up its original space.

IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG

Been more than a year since my last update, but the Ratrunner project isn't dead, just dormant until I get my new shop finished out and get the car moved over there

20210312_195802 (2).jpg

Nice build. We named mine Rum Runner or Roached Runner, haven't decided yet. Beat up, rusty and don't care. New engine is going in soon.

20210313_184128.jpg 20210313_184104.jpg 20210313_184113.jpg 20201011_185148.jpg

Shop is mostly complete, 3 phase is set up for the mill, shaper and future lathe. Just need to convert a 300 gallon propane tank into an air compressor tank. Then going back to work on the ratrunner. Did have a chance to plug some more wires up on it. Found out that I'm an inch short of connecting the engine harness to the interior harness, need to reroute some wires to get it to plug together. Swapped to an original FM3 pink deck lid I scored for cheap at the Pate swap meet. And swapped out the passenger door for a decent original with intact door panel. Pics to come, FBBO doesnt like the size of the pictures my new phone takes.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back