• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Roadrunner Steering Wheel

tnfastback

Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
My 1970 RR (Sept 69 build date) has a 1971 style steering wheel. I have noticed while looking at various 70 Roadrunners on the internet, including a couple that have went through Barrett Jackson, they have had the same wheel. I picked up a complete rim blow unit to install, but was just wondering if it was possible for it to be factory installed or just changed sometime in it's lifetime??

You didn't say which 71 wheel you have, I assume rimblow, and your RR is optioned with S83?
Anything is possible, but I would lean against factory original and towards dealer/owner installed.

In my opinion, the Bbody rimblow looks more at home in a Fury than a big block 'Runner. My theory is that the same opinion existed in 70/71, and dealers could have switched them out to move some lingering cars off the lots. Or for later owners, they probably didn't like the padded vinyl look either and would have replaced it with a 71 or went standard to avoid the rimblow switch failure.

I have seen many a car modded with a 3spoke rimblow, especially since Classic sells repops. I've only seen one 70 2spoke for sale the last couple years, so if you found one put it on the RR if optioned and stand out in the crowd, it is rare.

I added a pic of the wheel options from the 70 Plymouth Data Book for thread posterity.

70steer.jpg

Looking at 4mayhemi's steering wheel pictures & counting left-to-right.... I've only ever seen #1 on Belvederes, #2/#3 on Roadrunners and I've never seen #4.....just what I've seen and I'm no expert

Looking at 4mayhemi's steering wheel pictures & counting left-to-right.... I've only ever seen #1 on Belvederes, #2/#3 on Roadrunners and I've never seen #4.....just what I've seen and I'm no expert
That's why I posted the pic. I'd be curious which rimblow tnfastback purchased, which 71 is installed, and what the RR is optioned with. Many are unaware (including me til I got one) what a 70 non-Ebody rimblow really looks like.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the same wheel as mine. I am guessing it has been changed sometime in its lifetime.

1970-plymouth-road-runner-interior-steering-wheel.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back