• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 340 Road Runner Revival

I agree nice to see you all are ok I am a little shocked to see you bought a smaller truck after that..?

I agree nice to see you all are ok I am a little shocked to see you bought a smaller truck after that..?

Oh trust me, I wanted to just jump right into another similarly equipped Warlock but new Rams are ridiculous right now, if you can find one. Used are even more ridiculous. Lots of 6 cylinders too. I figured if I needed to settle for a V-6 I'm going down a size where the HP is better utilized. The Tacoma crash ratings are pretty good so not really worried on that front and I got more in the way of amenities AND had some cash leftover to put into the Road Runner....so that's a win-win.

I have a Tacoma Double Cab with the long bed. It is surprising how much fits in the bed. It carries as much as some of my friends four door pickups.

Love 71 Road Runners. I've always wanted another one. Good luck with the project. Did the guy you got it from have any other cars worth looking at?

Love 71 Road Runners. I've always wanted another one. Good luck with the project. Did the guy you got it from have any other cars worth looking at?

He had a few. ‘71 SE Charger (318 car) complete but not running, ‘71 Challenger (318 car) with rebuilt 440 and all body work complete. Car was completely disassembled in piles all over the shop. He also had a v8 dart and duster close to driver condition. He had a couple chevys too. All of them had VIN and title issues. Private old fella that would only sell to people he knew or that someone he knew vouched for.

Still had them last time I checked. He was trying to get the title issues resolved to make selling them a bit easier.
I would be interested in the challenger. To save, restore and drive. Not to part or flip. That's not how I am.

I would be interested in the challenger. To save, restore and drive. Not to part or flip. That's not how I am.

I’m sure you’d do it right but it’s not my place to share the contact. He’ll only deal with people he knows or with folks that are vouched for by people he knows….I was a “vouched for” individual lol.

Body guy told me he’d be ready to take the car sometime in September….time to get off my butt!

Spent a few hours disconnecting, tagging and bagging in the engine compartment.
Before and after:
A23E55D7-F3BA-451C-BA1D-73E6806A5B84.jpeg
7F580AC9-003A-48EE-83A6-BE956C87C1BA.jpeg

I was worried about the battery tray area but the tray took the brunt of the corrosion and the vacuum canister underneath was dirty but otherwise pristine.
9DB84BFA-866D-4A74-BC42-21441FE20D9A.jpeg
84D9E0FD-346C-4695-BE95-8AD010AC9E15.jpeg

Much more to do. Finding little patches of original color under the hardware is motivating!

E82F5BDF-0B11-4813-B880-6C64194419AD.jpeg
B2E727D7-C903-440F-ACE9-4675F438D38E.jpeg

Working my way back. All door/window trim and weather seal out. Making progress!

Tackling the door glass tomorrow.

0A118A79-D77A-4D00-89DD-2A478DBFE8A9.jpeg

Big progress yesterday. Door glass and mechanisms out, bumper, rear valance, and gas tank pulled.

Had a pretty good critter nest behind the valance but luckily it didn’t induce any rot.

3DFC351B-C3DD-4A60-8C87-7DBC4C0D97B5.jpeg
6B56FE3E-308E-4CE9-8FD2-68CC2A5FB1AD.jpeg
1B9776BE-47B4-42A3-8672-63680195759F.jpeg
A200C636-1EB8-485C-9CEF-B1184A06D2D9.jpeg

Nice. It gets worse before it gets better. Keep good track of everything!! Even if it’s getting replaced keep it all until it’s done! Tag and bag!
I even re-assemble small sub-assemblies like the regulators so it’s less guess work when it’s time to put it all back together

Nice. It gets worse before it gets better. Keep good track of everything!! Even if it’s getting replaced keep it all until it’s done! Tag and bag!
I even re-assemble small sub-assemblies like the regulators so it’s less guess work when it’s time to put it all back together

For sure! Lots of baggies. I did the same with the regulators and frames. I developed that habit a long time ago on the job. Fasteners nearly always go back here they were so I don’t forget!

I did get a bit messy yesterday because I was making such good progress. Today is organizing parts, cleaning up the debris, taking stock of what’s left to do before she rolls off to body guy, and pool time with the Mrs. before she heads off to work tonight. Not a bad day I’d say…

Dash is out! My wife “helped” and the oldest boy added a set of hands.

F9C03B9D-05BC-4673-A15C-A7021B2A6EA3.jpeg
83E0CA7D-3BF1-4F59-B180-EEE4CAB56BDC.jpeg
FD213D84-C3FB-43B7-AA5F-6134BBA999C7.jpeg

Wow! What a project! I'm going to be tearing my car down soon. Not nearly as much if I'm lucky though. How was it getting the panels off over the quarter windows?

Wow! What a project! I'm going to be tearing my car down soon. Not nearly as much if I'm lucky though. How was it getting the panels off over the quarter windows?

Are you talking about the interior trim panels in the back? They were pretty easy!

Auto Transport Service
Back