• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 340 Road Runner Revival

Very nice! Is that just surface rust/pitting on your hood or something more serious?

Very nice! Is that just surface rust/pitting on your hood or something more serious?

Yes, pitting. Looks like she had been sitting under a leaky shed for some time.

Some blocking going down!

65F756D8-656B-43C6-AAF0-F5E05E569868.jpeg

Hammer time!! You are getting there, keep on keeping on!!!!

Man, I wish I was at this point too! Your car's looking really nice!

Man, I wish I was at this point too! Your car's looking really nice!

Been keeping an eye on your project….you are going deep and doing great. (On a side note, I’m originally from western Mass).

Digging into dash electrical tonight. We have lights! Headlight switch ohms out bad but can still get that at the corner parts store at least!

This car has been sitting for decades. Didn’t change a bulb or tweak any wiring. Just put hot in the orange instrument buss and it came to life. Pretty neat.

E56EF692-94A7-4376-A1A3-E691F0A26A56.jpeg

Brought home a 1971 Road Runner yesterday. A friend of mine tipped me off about an old neighbor of his who had a shop full of cars that he was trying to liquidate. They guy had been collecting them for years and some were in various stages of restoration/disassembly. His health took a turn and he lost interest/ability to do anything with them so he decided to sell them off to folks who would take care of them. Took some wrangling and contemplation, but we loaded her up yesterday.

1971, B5, 340, buckets, auto, a/c, and console. The motor is out but he gave me most of the major components; block (not the original), crank, heads, intake, etc...He's also throwing in another 340 from a boat (have to go pick that up later). The car is all there and pretty unmolested as far as being hacked on and/or modified. The interior is rough but intact. All the glass is there too. Front bumper and grill/inserts are intact...the grill plastic is in great shape, just needs the little road runner head.

Goal is to bring it back to a nice driver condition. Here we go! Meep, Meep!

View attachment 1084191 View attachment 1084192 View attachment 1084193 View attachment 1084194 View attachment 1084195 View attachment 1084196 View attachment 1084197
View attachment 1084198
Boy. Almost needed a second fender tag. Great project.

Read thru the thread. You are doing it right sir. All the way around. Great car. And your “guy” is doing some very nice work on the sheet metal.

Read thru the thread. You are doing it right sir. All the way around. Great car. And your “guy” is doing some very nice work on the sheet metal.

Thanks. I was lucky to find him. He worked on a friend’s car and I got to see the work first hand. He recently retired from working in one of those high dollar restoration shops. He had folks coming to him for side work fairly often so he decided to go it on his own. When he works on a car, it gets his full attention unless and until you tell him to take his time lol.

Feels good helping an American craftsman get started on his own too.

Sure.....the latest part of my build is in this section named my 1971 Road runner.

The complete build from day one is over on the Road runner nest forum.
Here's a link to my build over there.
http://www.roadrunnernest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4333
It's at 25 pages - start at page one and go thru all of them, there is alot of pics.

You should get yourself on that forum too - the more the better.

Recovered a drive-in theatre ticket stub from under the dash pad. The theater is still in operation and they said, to the best of their recollection, that ticket price is from around ‘74 or ‘75. Pretty neat little time capsule.
6D74580C-9D20-4FF1-810E-CBCBFEC811E3.jpeg

Body work has slowed a bit. Due to the approaching holidays.

Tried my hand at cleaning up my tired and flaky plastic bits. Low pressure with fine walnut shells did a great job on my chalky A pillar covers. They’ll need prep and paint but I’m pleased.

6D3305AB-5BDC-49EE-BA8D-50589C9187B9.jpeg
265FB413-27E7-4491-A409-8AEA0563B0E6.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back