• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger 340 Carburetor and Intake manifold Question

Rusty34

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:48 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for some guidance on the correct intake manifold and carburetor for this car. Was it originally a Carter AVS or Thermoquad? Manifold casting numbers?

Tnx, Rusty

One year only thermoquad, very sought after and hard to find. A rebuild kit I dont think was available, dealers upgraded them to the 72 carb. 4972s for 4 speeds, 4973s automatic. They changed them in 72 for emissions.
I believe 3512100 is the intake casting number for 71 340

Last edited:
BE5A8755-59E5-4190-9BB6-5E106B296E40.png

Click the link below for a full list.
Looking for carb info

I guess if it has an AVS or TQ would depend if the changeover occurred at the start of the model year or during the model year. If you have the intake, the carb mounting pad will be different for AVS/TQ.

Many thanks guys, I'm in the process of looking for parts for a period correct 340 build. So an early 71 340 car might have come with the Carter AVS and the assembly plant began switching over to TQ equipped 340's at some point later? I wonder if the power bulge hood will be another hard one to find?

I appreciate the numbers and the guidance!!

We have two 71 340 dusters one 4 speed one automatic. Unfortunately our 4 speed car was updated to a 72 4 speed TQ, been looking for years for a 4972. I have read that the 71 carb was predisposed to getting fuel passages plugged up and were replaced. The 71 TQ was modeled after the race TQ that was introduced in 69 with air fuel metering. In 72 solid fuel metering became the norm and 71 carbs became a rarity, very few parts interchange w 72 and later. Supposedly 71 didn't idle as well as the later cars resulting in emission issues... but the racers always claimed they made more hp. If a 71 340 did come w an avs it would be super rare, I always understood the TQ was on all 340 71s??? I think really late 71 340s were painted corporate blue, so I would look at the build date of your car to determine what color it was. Also the 71 air cleaner is a bit hard to find as they were unsilenced(no snorkels).

The bubble hood was reproduced by AMD. I don't know if its out of stock or out of production...but it is for 71. The vent louvers changed over the years. We have a 73 bubble hood that we bought for our 72 charger but most people wouldn't notice it sitting on a 71...but if you are trying for original...research the vent louvers before you buy. I would recommend finding a early 72-74 thermoquad(Great carbs) as your likely the only one to know unless you pull the air cleaner off.

Last edited:
Surprised to hear that the 71 TQ was pre-disposed to fuel passages getting plugged up. There are no fuel jets in the float bowl floors where sediment might form & plug passages. In the 72 & later models, the pri jets are in the f/bowl floor & are more likely to block up from sediment.

Surprised to hear that the 71 TQ was pre-disposed to fuel passages getting plugged up. There are no fuel jets in the float bowl floors where sediment might form & plug passages. In the 72 & later models, the pri jets are in the f/bowl floor & are more likely to block up from sediment.
I think it is in the secondary jet in 71 is lower then the later carbs...not the primaries.

Regardless I am a thermoquad fan. It's tough to beat a good one that's dialed in.

Last edited:
Sec jets in the 71 are in the air horn...like the later TQs. One of the problems of the Comp Series from which the 71 was derived was that one model had push in jets held in with an o ring [ pri & sec ] & they could fall out!
Glad you are a fan. Best general purpose 4bbl ever made...

I would put a 72 Thermoquad on it for the 340. Screw in jets and they are more readily available.

Many thanks guys, I'm in the process of looking for parts for a period correct 340 build. So an early 71 340 car might have come with the Carter AVS and the assembly plant began switching over to TQ equipped 340's at some point later? I wonder if the power bulge hood will be another hard one to find?

I appreciate the numbers and the guidance!!
My December 1970 built Challenger 340 came with a TQ carb which is still running well on the car.
Terry W.

Carb.jpg

I am looking for some guidance on the correct intake manifold and carburetor for this car. Was it originally a Carter AVS or Thermoquad? Manifold casting numbers?

Tnx, Rusty
Thermoquad only in 71. I have a few intakes with different date codes if u happen to need 1. Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back