• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 cowl/firewall confusion...

Grabbergreendream

Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
O.k.. Here goes...
I need to replace the AC firewall and upper cowl on my 71 Satellite. I need a lot of sheetmetal & am trying to save some freight charges so am planning on using Summit, as I can drive there & pick up the parts.
On their website they only list 1 firewall for non-AC made by AMD for my car. It comes 3 ways- by itself, with the upper cowl /screw in screens, & with upper cowl w/snap in screens...
Here's my confusion.
The same parts (same part #'s)are listed under e body cars.... Also listed for e bodies are AC firewalls that include the upper cowls...
The non-AC cowl/firewall combo lists 40 applicable cars(b & e bodies), but the AC e body firewalls are listed as e body specific...
My little bit of digging here from the ones that should know says the firewall should work from an AC e body but the cowl wont...
Anybody here ever purchased this set from Summit & made it work on their b body?

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/amd-370-1570-1s

That is an E-body f/w and cowl.
Non-a/c firewall is different between E and 71-4B. You could probably use an E in a B with an E heater box.
A/C firewall are the same. AMD doesn't list it that way thought.
Cowl top plates are way different. Nobody makes the 71-4B cowl plate.

That is an E-body f/w and cowl.
Non-a/c firewall is different between E and 71-4B. You could probably use an E in a B with an E heater box.
A/C firewall are the same. AMD doesn't list it that way thought.
Cowl top plates are way different. Nobody makes the 71-4B cowl plate.

WTB 1971 roadrunner upper and lower firewall panels. Do you have any used for sale

Auto Transport Service
Back