• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 satellite 318 with dodge dakota 5 speed trans

71GTX440

Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
Saw a new one today, was at a gas station when a gentlemen pulled in next to me with a nicely redone 1971 satellite. Since I have a roadrunner, i struck up a conversation and he said his car had a 318 with a 5 speed transmission. So I asked what kind of transmission he had (thinking he would say a tremex or similar) and he said he has a manual 5 speed from a 1995 dodge dakota. Had to change out bell housing, otherwise there was nothing major that needed to be done. Continued with some other small talk, finished pumping gas and wished him a good day. However, the conversation stuck with me. Has anyone else heard of such a compilation between a 71 318 and 1995 dakota 5 speed? Seems like there would be considerable more needed. Any input or ideas on this?

Well it's either an AX15 or an NV3500. I'm pretty sure that the 3.9 has the same bolt pattern on the bell housing.

(EDIT) Has to be the AX15, the 3500s had the bell housing cast into the trans body.

Last edited:
Well it's either an AX15 or an NV3500. I'm pretty sure that the 3.9 has the same bolt pattern on the bell housing.

(EDIT) Has to be the AX15, the 3500s had the bell housing cast into the trans body.
Not really sure why someone would want to go the route of installing a AX15. The cost is roughly the same as a A833 with OD. 5 speed compared to 4 speed, but there really doesnt seem to be much more of an advantage. Must be all he had available or he was wanting to do something a little different.

They are a dime a dozen at most any JY across the country. Probably won't hold up to much HP but try finding an 833 that doesn't have to be gone over. I'm sure our a-body friends could benefit.

They are a dime a dozen at most any JY across the country. Probably won't hold up to much HP but try finding an 833 that doesn't have to be gone over. I'm sure our a-body friends could benefit.
True, very true. With the LA318, I am thinking there wasnt much HP in the car to begin with, but you never know. He could have had a sleeper in the engine bay.....

I have plenty of time wished the a833 od had another gear. The 5spd would add that gear and offer the od gear also. Its all about staying in the power band.

I just wish the 833 OD had a slightly higher 1st gear.

My brother is building a mitsubishi conquest tsi with a 318 and an ax15.

Those were also used behind 5.2 in Dakotas IIRC.

There's also a 74 Duster down here with an ax 15. Was on CL for a while.

Shifter is centered, and gear spread is "truck-like" with close to the 833 OD splits IIRC.

I'm very interested in putting a 5spd behind my 318. I have seen the AX15 as an inexpensive option, anyone know the final drive ratio of the AX15 vs. A833 ?

I'm surprised that the bell housing needed changed.
There are many Dakotas with 318s in them from the factory.
I've thought about robbing parts from some of my trucks for my Coronet. Mainly brake parts booster m/C ect

Auto Transport Service
Back