• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Satellite "resto mod" like Pappy Joe wants it.. :)

View attachment 614618 You cansee the after market A/C unit from vintage air mounted in the back. I needed a place for the A/C controls. Decided on the area between the ashtray and the glove box. This gives the passenger access to the controls and frees up the old spot for something else.
View attachment 614619

I am looking at a Vintage system for my 71 GTX. How did you handle the space left from the blower motor on the original box and what did you do for connecting to the original ducts? Car looks great !!

Thanks,

Craig

I am looking at a Vintage system for my 71 GTX. How did you handle the space left from the blower motor on the original box and what did you do for connecting to the original ducts? Car looks great !!

Thanks,

Craig
Hi Craig,

First I have to correct myself. It isn't a vintage air system, it's a classic auto air system out of coppell tx. The original box was a lot bigger unit. This unit is smaller and I was able to move it over closer to the center of the car. I needed the space the old unit took for the new wiring relay panel and fuses. I had already patched the holes in the firewall while I was working the engine bay. I made a bracket to hold the unit so I wouldn't have to attach it straight to the firewall. Figured it would be easier if I needed to service it or remove it for any reason later. I attached the bracket to the firewall, then the unit to the bracket. I used the original upper duct for the window defrost with some modification so I could attach the hose with aluminum A/C tape. Basically used the A/C tape to create a funnel down from the defrost plenum to the hose. Those are on the back. The front ones I haven't attached yet but plan on doing much the same thing. Use the A/C tape to funnel down to the hose as needed. Mine still isn't up and working as I've run into other issues with the car that are taking my focus. Very little is done, as far as the A/C goes, in the engine bay. I'll post up some pics once I get there and I'll see if I have some pics of making the defrost plenum connection or the installation in general.

Thanks
Joe

Thought I'd give an update on progress. I've hit a bit of a problem with the brakes. This was originally a power brake car with disks in the front and drums in the rear. I've installed four wheel disks. I got the master/booster kit from ssbc. After install I had no brakes. So we started eliminating things. Bench bleeding master, bleeding system, trying an external vacuum pump. Still no brakes. We figured out that the rod was bottoming out in the master. There wasn't enough room for it to push fluid. I have to say working with the guys at SSBC has been good. So I called, again, and we talked it through. Seems there was a bracket in the kit that I didn't install. Completely my fault, but I didn't realize I bought a kit to convert a manual brake system to power brakes. I didn't use the bracket because the holes didn't line up with what I had. But they give 3 inches space to give some room. I installed the brackets and found when we installed the booster that once it was connected to the pedal, the pedal was now all the way to the floor. That's where we ran out of time. I decided to have another bracket made. This one will be 1.5 inches wide trying to split the difference. I also didn't try looking at adjustment in the booster so that may be a possibility. That's where we stand until we get some time to look at it some more.

Thanks,

Craig
Here are some pics of the bracket and how I connected the defroster.

20170905_202037.jpg 20171008_182935.jpg 20170905_202030.jpg 20170906_045506.jpg

Love your build!
I have a 71 Satellite I'm trying to do also. I have seats from a new Challenger. How did you get the rear seat mounted? The cushion is what has me confused. The hump seems to be in the way of the flat design on the new cars

Auto Transport Service
Back