• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 440-4 Difficult start after not being driven for several weeks

I‘ve recently started using a 91 non-ethanol fuel too. Haven’t experimented with it enough yet to be certain if it’s a major improvement for bowl evaporation. But even the non-ethanol of today is formulated a lot differently from that of 50 years ago or race gas.

Good idea. Some risk with running an electric fuel pump full time without some sort of auto interrupt switch in case of an accident.
It is momentary used only to prime the system. And yes, there are rollover switches you can install.

I have owned my car for 36 years, always retaining the oem points ignition and fuel system using a Carter mechanical pump, never needing an electric pump. It only gets used for shows/cruises on weekends, as it has since I bought it. It can sit one day or 2 weeks, doesn't matter. It will start as quickly as dadsbee described with his cars. This is all while currently using 93 pump gas with 10% ethanol, and the same starter for 35 years.

Brand matters. Time of year matters. Jurisdiction matters.
There's literally dozens of formulations of fuel across the country.

Brand matters. Time of year matters. Jurisdiction matters.
There's literally dozens of formulations of fuel across the country.
It sounds to me like there is no fuel. As if the whole line is syphoning back into the tank.
Maybe a small air leak somewhere is allowing it?
But even that seems odd as the line is likely below the tank as it runs along the rocker.

It sounds to me like there is no fuel. As if the whole line is syphoning back into the tank.
Maybe a small air leak somewhere is allowing it?
But even that seems odd as the line is likely below the tank as it runs along the rocker.
I've actually taken and pinched off the fuel line on Fred in an experiment...
Result was, the gas disappeared from the carb bowls in the same time frame anyways.
It evaporates, simple as that - and quickly.

I've actually taken and pinched off the fuel line on Fred in an experiment...
Result was, the gas disappeared from the carb bowls in the same time frame anyways.
It evaporates, simple as that - and quickly.
Well then I would suspect a significant restriction in the fuel line perhaps.
It should not take 30 - 40 seconds of cranking to fill the bowls.
Maybe replace the fuel line and pull the sending unit and inspect.
Seems as though it would starve for fuel at high speed if it had a restriction.

Not here. Car with electric fuel pump starts instantly. Car with stock mechanical after a couple of days/week will take a significant amount of cranking to refill the bowl. And I've buried the speedo (85) on the Doba with zero problems.

Doesn't take Fred "30-40 seconds of cranking"...
No issues with all new 3/8" everything + hemi mechanical pump + AVS.
In my case, the gas evaporates from the bowls, simple as that.

[1] I have a Carter elec pump on my car. It is the 100 gph model, slightly noisier than the 70 gph 4594 pump I mentioned in an earlier post. How noisy it is will depend on how/where you mount it. I have mine mounted behind the driver's side rear wheel, as my chassis layout allows for it. The wheel blocks the noise. I cannot hear it when driving the car. The Carter pumps, unlike the Holley pumps, have fuel circulating through the elec motor section; this cools the pump & lubes the brgs; it also reduces the noise emitted.
[2] To stop the pump running in the event the engine stalls, you can buy a Holley or Carter three terminal switch that goes in the oil pressure/idiot light sender fitting. Pump will stop if oil pressure drops to zero.
[3] Very bad idea to have an elec pump in the suction line of a mech pump. It is hard enough for the mech pump to suck fuel, you do not want to put further restrictions in the line.

Auto Transport Service
Back