• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Charger Rallye 340

Archie340

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm a newbie to the forum though I've owned a number of mopars through the years. I've been lurking for a while and thought I would share some pics of my '72 rallye 340 auto I pickup recently. The story is this car spent years stored in a shed and unfortunately the shed wasn't big enough for the whole car. The back end tells the tale as the paint on the decklid is wasted, along with the vinyl top. The chrome on the back bumper is down to nickel, obviously exposed to the elements for a long time. On the plus side she's in good solid condition. The 340 runs pretty strong and the pans and frame are excellent. The rear quarters do need some metal replacement but hopefully nothing to drastic. I don't think I ever bought a chrysler that didn't need work on the rear quarters. Anyway, I hope to have her redone with a fresh coat of dark tan metallic by next summer. Here she is after repainting the power bulge, louvered taillights and scrubbing the white interior this weekend. Hope you enjoy the pics. Thanks!

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

C4.jpg

C5.jpg

That is a very nice lookin rallye.I wish my 72 rallye was that good shape. Welcome to the forum.

Great start for a restoration. I had a 73 340 Rallye Charger in high school. I miss it. Keep us updated on your progress.

Nice.

I hear ya about the quarters. My Satellite has 98% perfect quarters. That's a first for me.
My Coronet has 90% perfect, which was a first when I got it.

What did you use to clean the white int? I used a Mr Clean magic eraser, and it got the really bad stuff.
Could be better though.

I wonder how it would have fared if it was put in the shed the other way...

Last edited:
Thats a beautiful Charger! I like that white interior, white top with the color.. looks sharp... Welcome to the forum, lots of great folks here...

Thanks for your comments! I'm a sucker for a white interior. It was my Wife's idea to use magic eraser and the interior came out great. We then wiped them down with a damp cloth, let the pieces dry and finished them with armor all detailer. I'm fortunate my significant other is onboard with this project. Makes spending money on the car alot easier if you know what I mean :grin:.

I read that many rallye's were in hi-impact colors, though I think the brown with the white is a nice contrast. Would anyone happen to know why some rallye's had the bazooka exhaust tips and other did not? California emissions possibly? As you can see mine doesn't and it looks like it never did. Oh, and yes I am lucky it wasn't the front end that sat out in the great outdoors for ten or twenty years!

Hope the rust isn't too bad behind the rear window. It's a nice looking Cha Ga.

Super nice car. I kinda like the colors. You could always add the machine gun exhaust tips. I plan to on mine. They just look bad ***. These cars just don't look right without em imo.

There is a small spot of corrosion under the corners of both ends of the window. Thankfully, they're pretty minor.

Auto Transport Service
Back