• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Plymouth Rogue Runner

roguerunner

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Started life as a Sebring with 318/904 & 8 1/4 rear. Not long after I bought it in October 1982 I transfered a 340/727 from my Aussie Charger into it. Fitted an 8 3/4 from a Dodge Pheonix (RHD Plymouth Fury). After patching up things over a few years I decided to pull it off the road in 1988 for a restoration. Now it is nearly finished after many years sitting in the shed.
First job was to clean the under carriage and paint it.
th_IMG_0006.jpg

When I started on the rebuild there was no Internet and Mopar parts were hard to buy in Australia so I decided to go for a XJ6 Jag front end to fix the poor brakes & steering problems the RHD conversion had caused.
th_lhsweld1.jpg
th_Satelliteresto038.jpg
th_Satelliteresto039.jpg

To fit the Jag crossmember the 440 needed a modifed Truck sump but otherwise it was a easy fit.
th_satellite2009001-1.jpg
th_satellite2009003-1.jpg

The firewall was redone using an Aussie Valiant for the factory look to the RHD conversion. Before/During/After
th_Resize_of_7546.jpg
th_Resize_of_7601.jpg
th_Satelliteresto032.gif

The instrument panel is a highly modified Valiant unit enlarged to fit a B body Rallye Panel.
th_Satelliteresto017.jpg
th_Resize_of_8212.jpg
th_Satelliteresto017-1.jpg

The 440 is a 72 build & has 10:1 Speed Pro forged pistons with Eddy heads & a Mopar 509 Purple Shaft. Rocker covers are original Cal Custom ones. Dual Quad is an Eddy unit & I am running Impco 425 Propane carbs.
th_dc7ba6e5.jpg
th_SDC10163.jpg
th_satellite2009006-1.jpg
th_SDC10159.jpg

Motor is only in for a test fit & will be pulled out soon to be painted a Silver Metallic color along with trans & diff.
I have chosen to run Rallye rims in 15x8 & 15x10 chromed version.
th_9435c541.jpg
th_6edc56c2.jpg
th_62453446.jpg

more to come cheers Colin

holy crap!!! WHAT A BUILD!!!! dude.. i totally admire your tenacity and wherewithal. your words scared me at first, but i have to admit.. i am really curious as to the handling characteristics after you get it on the road.

waiting intently on updates.

Had a re-think regards the power steering & air con pump. From the factory they are mounted to suit Left Hand Drive cars but mine is Right Hand drive & I need these on opposite side of engine.

Click to enlarge pics
th_P3250825.jpg
th_P3250826.jpg
th_169165d9.jpg

Would you believe that there is a tapped boss on LHS of block that let me mount the air con pump and it lines up with the pulley !! The alternator bolts to the lower tapped hole in the RHS head. Now I just need some brackets cut to finish them off.

I had decided to paint the drive train in another color as the HEMI Orange didnt compliment the bodies Blue. First to get done was the 727.

th_P3310909.jpg
th_P3310910.jpg
th_P4050932.jpg

It is a custom mix based on Mazda Galaxy Grey but with blue & red pearl added.

Sold the Edelbrock Dual Quad & bought a polished Offy manifold off a 64 Dodge Coronet. Now my Holley bases bolt straight on & the Impco Carbs are better spaced.

th_d7cdcfe3.jpg
th_30956c8d.jpg

Replaced the junky ProForm roller rockers with some Max Wedge Performance (Aussie company) units, much stronger looking !!

th_80ff620f.jpg
th_e586bb57.jpg

Next in the plan is to paint the engine & assemble it to the trans. Need to paint the front cross-member then it is time for the motor to go back in for the final time !!

Grats on the progress- I especially love the tubular looking control arms Jag crossmember disc conversion-Now thats innovative-great work

Attachments

• Satelliteresto039.jpg
    Satelliteresto039.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 1,589
Pretty cool man, I always loved those Aussie Mopars always looked bad ***!
I am Mopar through and through, but I always had a thing for the 1973 Ford Falcon XB and make a Mad Max Interceptor!!!

Grats on the progress- I especially love the tubular looking control arms Jag crossmember disc conversion-Now thats innovative-great work
Hopefully it will handle & stop much better than the original set up that used Aussie Valiant disc brakes...they slowed it down but didnt stop it..:eek:ops:

Great job- nice out of the box thinking! Don Quixote lives!

You do some very cool and good work my friend! Real nice....

nice job. i like the blue,it's one of my favorite colors.

Thanks for the comments !! I have always been an individual & not a sheep following the flock... that is why I drive MOPARs when most of my mates drove others..

Been a bit slack in posting lately also been working on my 2 Aussie Valiants & our Aussie Ford. :icon_eek:

Remade the gearbox mount and raised the gearbox back to original position.

b7ee1266.jpg

Smoothed and painted

8e9e0daa.jpg

Painted the engine Galaxy Grey custom mix (blue/red pearl added), originally Hemi Orange but it looked out of place in the Blue car.

SDC11143.jpg

Mocked it up to see what it will look like when finished

7c18de27.jpg

Was going to chrome the modified truck sump but when I paint stripped it there were too many scratches & small dents so I painted it instead.

6b406782.jpg

Now bolted up and nearly ready to put back in the Satellite

c2ba9a22.jpg

I even lined up all the "M" on the S/S bolts !! You can see the pearl in the paint in this pic.

90a148fa.jpg

Fitted a Trans Go shift kit to the 727 and bolted in the valve body, mounted the Lokar kickdown cable and now I can bolt it to the engine & put it back in the Satellite . Just need to paint the front crossmember first. :laughing7:

Auto Transport Service
Back