• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973-1978 400 "917 oil pan "

dodge1972

Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
Need to purchase a new big block 917 oil pan for a 74 dodge charger. Vender's sell the early 440 pan. Pan will not clear the newer k-frame. If you have a good source, please advise.

I believe 971 is what you're looking for .

I believe 971 is what you're looking for .

Yep, that would be it....the 971. At one time, it was being reproduced. However, these days I believe you will have to search out a used one for sale.

Well there ya go, someone IS still reproducing it.

Checked with Source 440 for a 971 pan. No help only stock is the 66-72 big block

Yup, I used the 440 source pan and it fits perfectly.

Mark
Checked with 440 Source. Dealer stated his oil pan was for a pre-73 b body. If you have a good part number. I would appreciate the information. Price is not an issue. If it doesn't fit, I will just keep it

Thanks

Well, this is what I used, and like I said it fits great on my 73.

Oil Pan - Center Sump - Plain Steel - 5 Quart-440 Source

1662657915444.png

Mark

Sorry for the delay, I was at the Lucas Oil Nationals. I had no problem with either the pump or the pickup, and i use the hemi pickup.

Mark

Sorry for the delay, I was at the Lucas Oil Nationals. I had no problem with either the pump or the pickup, and i use the hemi pickup.

Mark
Hemi pick-ups are 1/2 inch like most Max wedges which is not the case on other Big Blocks they are 3/8. Just making sure he doesn't get the wrong pick-up as yours must have been modified.

Yup, When I did the build I had the block machined per the Direct Connection engine book for the hemi pick up, not just retapping to 1/2 pipe. I mentioned the hemi pick up because it is bigger than the standard pick up and still fit with no problems.

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back