• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 AC parts, compressors, evaporators, lines etc.

fullmetaljacket

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
I have a '73 Dodge Coronet sedan with a 318 and AC. I'm having issues with it not cooling enough. So far I've changed it over to R134 from the original R-12 stuff. I've changed the receiver and other parts necessary for the switch and now the compressor is not producing the amount of pressure needed from what I have been told by my mechanic.

My question is, where can I find either rebuilt/reconditioned compressors or who has a good reputation on here or elsewhere for rebuilding such items?
Thank you.

Hi, everything I say here is just my spin on ac and my projects I build. If you are trying to hold you car to the original manufacture look, you will always be chasing the coolant escaping from the system. If you are wanting cool air from your system and perform more adequately I would suggest an aftermarket compressor to be adapted to your car. It will perform more adequately than the old style RV2 compressor.

The old rv2 compressor can be overhauled, mainly just putting in new seal kits. I chased down parts from eBay. Sometimes they become available there. The old rv2 has very few moving parts are simple to take apart and re-assemable. I’ve gone both directions with the old and got it to work ok. But the new style compressor to me will out perform the old style compressor. What ever you decide, you will have to make a plan and then work into that. Just my 2 cents worth on ac.

Good luck,
Azmoparboy

81F01AAD-9109-4AB9-985C-47C5F8814DA7.jpeg

Bouchillon Performance

Consider the following:
Understand that R12 has its advantages. R12 can blow 6 to 7 degrees cooler than R134a and is 15% more efficient. R134a systems require larger condensers and higher operating pressures than R12 systems because R134a doesn't have as high of a heat transfer rate as R12 (which has a heavier molecular size than R134a).
Whether R134a performs as well as R12 in any given a/c system depends upon system components and the amount of R134a used.
Given two identical vehicles, each with the same weighted amount of refrigerant, the vehicle with the R134a has the “capability” to remove more heat (measured in btu’s) from the vehicle than the same type of vehicle using the same amount of R12.
The most common influences which effect the capability of R134a to perform well are the condenser, in some cases the the superheat setting of the expansion valve or the amount of R134a. Condensers designed to release greater amounts of heat help to expel the greater amount of heat which R134a removes from the car’s interior. And by “matching” the correct amount of R134a to use in a given vehicle, correcting the superheat of the expansion valve (if necessary), you can in some manner nearly balance or match the amount of heat drawn out by the evaporator and released by the condenser.
These efforts to “balance” the system can not be realized if there are problems within the a/c system, such as: poor performing compressor, dirty condenser or poor air flow through the condenser, malfunctioning expansion valve, water or air in the system, improperly operating fresh air or heat input in the climate-air mixing system.
Because of volume and pressure differences between the two refrigerants, the RV2 may not have sufficient displacement or volume capacity to maintain the R134A pressures and likely that the condenser will not have enough SURFACE AREA to dissipate the collected heat, and the EVAPORATOR will not have enough SURFACE AREA to absorb the heat. Likewise, the refrigerant metering device, thd thermoststic expansion valve or TXV, will not be compatible with R134A refrigerant. The new style AXIAL FLOW COMPRESSOR, such as the Sandun unit, is an excellent unit and can be adapted to suit the application. To achieve a coordinated system and maximum performance, the major components must be sized correctly.
An additional consideration must be given to the vehicles existing COOLING system.....radiator, water pump, shroud, engine fan. Just talking out loud......
BOB RENTON

I have a 72 Plymouth Satellite with factory compressor and I would like to keep it, has anyone succesfully rebuilt one ? I have purchased the parts,(seals & gaskets). Are there any tricks to completing this properly ? Thanks

Hi, I have successfully rebuilt the old compressor for my 73 charger. Just by luck someone on eBay was selling pistons rods crank, oil pump, seal kit at the time that I was needing them. I rebuilt my old compressor and installed Esther oil in it. Esther oil is compatible with both 134A and R12. My system has real R12 in it. My system has been holding the R12 now for about two years now. Had the Charger out just last weekend and the wife asked me to turn the air down because she was cool enough. Autozone has the front crank seal if you need that seal ar $31.

Good luck with your Decision,
Azmoparboy

ED9DD541-56EC-412C-8A32-68E17FB12835.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back