• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Dealer repaint of new car.

Robert Schaad

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
Question. When I was looking at 73 Roadrunners NEW, The dealer did not have the color I wanted. They said they would paint the car any color I wanted. Did anyone actually let a dealer do that? If so did they paint under hood and other areas too? Just a question.

Thats and interesting question

I saw it done at the Mack Truck dealership I worked at in 1980. They had a buyer that wanted a black R-Model, so they painted a yellow one. I think they did the door jambs, but everything under hood was still yellow. LOL

while I was a head painter for Cadillac we painted a ton of Caddys any color customer paid heavy for that engines pull interior all to make a color change correct so you didn't see it and make it a nice job

Yes I have head of them painting it the color you wanted just to make the sale. Not sure on the cost.

I have heard of them adding options but never that. How good a paint job could that have been?????
:wtf:

Some of the best and most affordable bodywork I've seen lately came from the local DCJ dealership.

Yes, but do you think they removed all the trim, painted the door jams, stripped down to just body and painted every possible spot including under the package tray in the trunk? Then removed all the decals on RR and replaced them with new?
I'm guessing, no ... Just the labor would be more than the car was selling for wouldn't you think?
Way easier to find one at another dealership and swap, which I know they did.

Auto Transport Service
Back