• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 dodge charger idle issues

rainman160

Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
Hello I have a 1973 dodge charger that I had to change the head gasket on.

After doing all of that correctly we found that the car would not run correctly without 40 degrees advanced.

I found that it had a bad carburetor so I replaced it with a new stock replacement. (2bbl)

I set the transfer slot before I put it on.
I reset the distributor and was able to get it start and it had about 23 degrees advanced (with vac advanced off and caped) no matter what I do I cannot get the initial timing below that degrees of timing. And would love any help or suggestions.

Last edited:
What engine? Sounds like you have a bad vacuum leak.

Why was the head gasket replaced? Thats not a common failure. Did it run OK prior to the head gasket replacement?
When I bought it they pervious owner took it to a shop to be rebuilt. They messed up the installation and the head gasket had a puncture in it. It would still run and was for the most part running good even with coolant running through the block.

When I bought it they pervious owner took it to a shop to be rebuilt. They messed up the installation and the head gasket had a puncture in it. It would still run and was for the most part running good even with coolant running through the block.
So you have never seen it running good?

Did you set your distributor off #1 TDC compression ? What does your vacuum gauge read ?

Maybe this will help. Still sounds like
you've got a vacuum leak.
vacumm-reading.png
Did you run the propane under the intake on top of the valley pan
instead of just down both sides?
Also check carb to intake gasket,
plus any, and all vacuum hose
connections, open (uncapped)
ports, or cracked lines.
How do the brakes feel? Could be
a problem with the booster as well.

Last edited: