• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Roadrunner 360 Sunroof KB5 Blue

That guy sounds like an a$$hole. Build your car faster than his, and I bet he'd shut up. If that were my car, this is what I'd do: Make a sleeper car, 440 cid small block stroker, trick flow heads, a nice hydraulic roller cam and lifters, edelbrock 4 barrel intake, long tube headers, EFI throttle body system, and I'd bet you would be in the 500-600 hp range if not more. But paint the engine the same color as the original 360, and try to make it look as much as possible as a stock 360 engine. Nobody would suspect a thing unless they took a closer look. Maybe even add a gear-vendors overdrive to a beefed up 727 trans. Then I would re-do the interior to bone stock, and repaint the car it's original color, and basically make the car look like a regular 360 roadrunner. That sucker would launch so hard that NASA would be calling you for advice.

And make sure to have a rag from all the blood your coughing up due to the kidney you sold to make this happen! :). Seriously though, that is exactly what I want to do with my 72 except I will be going with a 416 stroker kit.

And make sure to have a rag from all the blood your coughing up due to the kidney you sold to make this happen! :). Seriously though, that is exactly what I want to do with my 72 except I will be going with a 416 stroker kit.
yeah no kidding! That will be a sweet 72!

I went to Mopars in the park yesterday and saw some great cars. There were only a few 73-74 roadrunners/satellites there but unfortunately they were all satellites cloned into roadrunners, not a single real one. I spent a lot of time looking at colors and I don't think I can go back to the KB5. Its just doesn't have any muscle car flare. Time will tell what choice I make but I really like the red cars and I saw a blue 70 Charger that was a great color. Colors are so hard to pick but kinda fun too.

As promised here are some pics of the body work. As stated before my car came from California and had hardly any rust but there was some in rear. I dropped the car off at my dads to get a leak fixed and so far he has just kept going. He has put a few hundred miles on it and fixed a bunch of small problems from it having sat for 5 years. One problem we found was a bad trunk seal which led to water in the trunk and eventually the rust that it has. I will need a trunk floor but the frame rails are solid. The trunk floor extentions are also solid. The quarters did end up with some scatted rust holes and blisters. My dad trained as a body man in the 70s and used to own a body shop. He had some time and cut into my car, making his own patch panels along the way. Some dents were pulled too.

Its looking pretty good. I was happy with the job he did. He is going to get it in primer so I can have my car back for the summer and we will keep tinkering on it and hopefully paint it this winter.

He sent me this picture to show off he work.

Looking really good! The color on the inside of the trunk looks really nice. You put that with a white stripe and white interior, that would look really sharp. What kind of color combos are you thinking about? I once saw a gun metal grey with red stripes that looked stunning.

The original KB5 combined with the white stripe will be sharp. There are pics of other 74s with this combo on the web - they look good! Good luck with whatever you decide.

The original KB5 combined with the white stripe will be sharp. There are pics of other 74s with this combo on the web - they look good! Good luck with whatever you decide.

I see some kb5 ones online that look good and some look boring. Lighting plays a huge part I think. I probably won't know what I pick until I buy the paint. I am too indecisive.

So I still haven't figured out my door hinge situation but I have a possible line on a used 3.23 suregrip from a 73 roadrunner. These are hard to find second hand.

Here is some eye candy for ya. KB5/Sunroof/360/4-spd.
KB5RR.jpg

I see some kb5 ones online that look good and some look boring. Lighting plays a huge part I think. I probably won't know what I pick until I buy the paint. I am too indecisive.

You know, last week my fiance actually said the same thing about me and that I was too indecisive. I am not sure if I should be upset about or not. I still haven't decided.

Just Dashes did the dash for this car. Here is the link to some additional pics.
http://justdashes.blogspot.com/2013/07/1974-plymouth-road-runner-dash-pad.html

My 73 was white and black but I think I like that blue much better. You know, you could always paint it orange and see how many people ask you if it's a General Lee. I can't leave my garage open. With out someone asking me if mine is the dukes of hazard car or not. I got so tired of it and said it's close enough! Haha

Here is some eye candy for ya. KB5/Sunroof/360/4-spd.View attachment 342228
That's one of the cars I saw that looks really good. If you look at the pictures of the body work I posted you can see the original blue on my car looks baby blue. It sort of peeks out from behind the dark blue where the paint is taken off. I am afraid of it coming out looking power blue or baby blue. If it came out nice like this pictured car I would be happy.

My 73 was white and black but I think I like that blue much better. You know, you could always paint it orange and see how many people ask you if it's a General Lee. I can't leave my garage open. With out someone asking me if mine is the dukes of hazard car or not. I got so tired of it and said it's close enough! Haha

That's the exact reason I am nervous about picking red. With the white stripe I feel like everyone will ask if its Starsky and Hutch's car. I have had two people ask me that already and its not even the right color.

That's looking really good! Hey is that a starsky and hutch car!? :lol:

Just kidding!
All right wise guy.... :)

But actually the blue looks kinda nice where it's peaking out there. I have no idea how people pick colors. I guess I just have to have one of each. :)

I had too on the starsky and hutch. :)

I know what you mean about colors. The sky is the limit with color picking. I have to be honest, I'm really digging that blue myself! If you have a polisher, try compunding and polishing, and waxing another area where the paint is still decent and see what you think. I was practicing on my roadrunner and I was amazed at how much it made the orange pop again and 30 year old paint. It might give you a better idea of what it could look like.

197338-b25d385296f8e6db0b9fea1be88eaac7.jpg
got to love the super rare and hard to find sunroof cars

If you are really leaning towards KB5 Blue, you might consider a close Mopar color from the 1999 era. It is called (Intense Blue Pearl Coat) B3/VB3. I have a 99 Dodge Ram truck and when I park it along side my RR clone, absolutely everyone who has seen them side by side always says the they like the Ram color better. You can still get factory touch up paint for it also. If you add the Reflective bright white stripes, it may cause people to soil themselves from the shock.

Auto Transport Service
Back