• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 roadrunner 440, conversion from auto to 4 speed

Xforddude

Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with this and any advice? I'm quite comfortable with tearing an engine down, body and paint and upholstery/ interior but I really want to convert to a 4 speed and would probably farm the whole job out. Thanks in advance.

Anyone here have any experience with this and any advice? I'm quite comfortable with tearing an engine down, body and paint and upholstery/ interior but I really want to convert to a 4 speed and would probably farm the whole job out. Thanks in advance.

I have a buddy over by Calgary who does the conversions fairly regularly for guys, fair amount of work installing the pedals, new 4 spd hump pan in the floor etc.
He buys the complete conversion "kit" from passon I believe ? maybe brewers ? I don't remember.
and every single one he's done that the customers took the Car to the track ? the car ends up being slower than before with an auto/stall setup.... albeit, I guess the 4 speeds are more 'fun' to drive ?

I have a buddy over by Calgary who does the conversions fairly regularly for guys, fair amount of work installing the pedals, new 4 spd hump pan in the floor etc.
He buys the complete conversion "kit" from passon I believe ? maybe brewers ? I don't remember.
and every single one he's done that the customers took the Car to the track ? the car ends up being slower than before with an auto/stall setup.... albeit, I guess the 4 speeds are more 'fun' to drive ?

Thanks for the info!

To add to what Challenger340 stated:

As he stated, you will need the pedals and a 4 speed hump. This requires some surgery to your transmission tunnel, but it is fairly straight forward.

If you have a column shift auto, your column will have to be changed or modified; a floor shift auto is easier since you don't need to touch the column.

You will need a new flywheel, clutch and throwout bearing, plus all the linkage to add the z bar and be able to engage the clutch. I think a bracket for the Z bar must be welded on.

I'm not sure if the cross member or driveshaft needs to change, others can comment on that.

Good Luck

You will need to check if the rear of the crank will accept a pilot bearing. Some will, some wont, may need some machine work.

Auto Transport Service
Back