• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 440, what torque converter do I need?

vintagetin

Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1975 440 out of an RV (low compression pile) and I'm trying to find a part number for a torque converter that will balance the crank and work with the 727. Any ideas?

I don't know the part number but that 440 is most likely a cast crank model. Take a good look at the crank, and pull the pan if you have to so a positive ID can be made. Then get a converter for some car application from the era. Also make sure you pay attention to a lock up vs. a non lock variety. Stock engine right? Just need to stab it to get down the road? Then you won't need anything fancy.

I was told the engine is out of an RV and the block casting says '75. Also, it has a counter weight on the harmonic balancer. If what I read on this site is right: http://www.440source.com/dampers.htm then a heavy duty truck/van should have NO counter weight on the harmonic balancer which means the crank would be internally balanced. So either, the harmonic balancer is wrong on my engine, or it not out of a heavy duty truck/van. I'm going to assume the second. I've been checking different pro-king part numbers. I believe the CR17 is the right one IF a 440 and a 400 have interchangable torque converters for the 72-76 model years. We will see. I can't seem to get a %100 answer anywhere. I wish I bought a 440 with a trans attached to it now.

Still sounds like ID-ing the crank is a good start and possibly the best solution. According to the site a steel crank in the HD truck was internally balanced so it got the non weighted balancer. If that's the case then the converter should be a zero balance as well. But I will say this, if you have the wrong converter you will know it. The vibration due to a mis match from what I recall is not subtle. Pull the pan and check the crank.

Not subtle is an understatement, lol. The time I did it, felt like I had mounted a jackhammer to my car. You could go the B&M route, TC us neutral and flexplate is what is balanced. That way, if you swap engines,you dont have to change TC as well...

Auto Transport Service
Back