• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1977 Cordoba Windshield Wiper issue

Diesel01

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
I purchased this cherry white Cordoba as a Xmas present to myself. It is in really great shape but needs some TLC here and there.

Currently, I am having a wiper issue I cannot figure out. The wipers are not popping up on glass and wiping full length of the windshield. Instead, they are wiping from park position to about 3/4 of the windshield. The motor had been changed so I purchased another new one. When you turn them on, the motor spins clockwise while wiping and when shut off it reverses counter clockwise and parks. I have read over the net where the cam breaks but that is not the case with mine and my cam looks totally different than what I have seen posted. I am not sure how many hands have been in this car in 46 years and I am not sure this is even the right cam. Can somebody tell me if it is right and what I need to do to fix this? From what I read, this cam was used from the early 70's to 77 on early Cordobas. It is acting more like a non conceal than concealed wipers.

I should mention that this is a 2 speed/non intermittent.

IMG_0273.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

Last edited:
I did some more research and the spring is listed as a "clutch spring". So is this more of a clutch assembly rather than a cam? Also as I have it pictured, is that how it is assembled with the wedge in between the spring? I am confused as how this is suppose to work.

FYI,
I tried connecting the cam 180 out but then it still slapped down to the park stop but parked 3/4 of the window sweep. It just swapped parking positions.

I am beginning to believe this is not the right cam

My '79 Chrysler 300 has intermittent wipers and I forget how many speeds. My mechanism and cam look totally different than what is shown in post #1.

@DeltaV
I know. Everything I see on the Cam it is the Orange button that breaks. I saw a post on C bodies of one that looks like mine so I am totally puzzled by this

Here is the link on C Bodies that looks exactly like mine Post #1 pictures 4 and 5

I can see how the orange button style can lengthen and shorten the rod so they can wipe and park. I don't see how this one works. Also wondering what that spring does.

I have found this complete rebuild kit including spring on ebay.

Last edited:
I don't have a Chrysler parts book for 1977.

Your best bet is to call AMS Obsolete in Georgia or Murray B. Park in Ohio.

AMS was on my list if I dont get anywhere here with it. I wonder if anyone on C bodies can help me. The part # is 3879325 and replaced with 3879325R

@DeltaV
I know. Everything I see on the Cam it is the Orange button that breaks. I saw a post on C bodies of one that looks like mine so I am totally puzzled by this

Here is the link on C Bodies that looks exactly like mine Post #1 pictures 4 and 5
[/URL]

I can see how the orange button style can lengthen and shorten the rod so they can wipe and park. I don't see how this one works. Also wondering what that spring does.

I have found this complete rebuild kit including spring on ebay.
[/URL]
AMS Obsolete has a presence on eBay.

Call them to discuss your needs. They only have a few employees. Call them even if you send them an email. It's best to use the telephone with them.

They are closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

Your location says "US".

On the west coast is Len Dawson:
Len Dawson
15541 Yokeko Drive
Anacortes, Washington 98221
FAX: (360) 293-1032
VOICE MAIL: (360) 299-2582
www.dpmotorparts.com

If you look at the inside of the spring, it is severely worn flat. I measured with my micrometer. The diameter on the ends is 1.6mm. The inner worn portion is 1.3mm. That is 19% wear. The ends also seem to be bent in. I ordered the full replacement kit. The shaft has wear rings too. Well, see after i rebuild it.

IMG_0410.jpeg

IMG_0411.jpeg

I guess is your lucky day? found two very old pics ( questionable quality, from old digital portable devices with camera... maybe took 15-18 years ago? )

it goes like this:
Imagen 035.jpg

Or like this:

Imagen 036.jpg

of course I'm not showing it on the plate but into the cam assembly. It got a lot of grease hence why it looks so bad. Later I learnt it doesn't need that ammount of grease, since needs to move easier and the grease made to stuck the assembly. It should be somekind of oil. The plate gets an oiling hole underneath to lubricate without remove the dust booth

NOW I can't recall which side must be the spring AND the spring position ( maybe would need to be flipped out). Check the cam assembly pieces for some marks made by the spring legs itself along the years for guidance. I made it using the trial and error method. Every spring leg ON MY CAR got a diff shape so what makes 4 diff posible assembly posibilities. One position must be the correct one. Your spring looks simmetrical thought

Last edited:
I edited a bit the previous reply before you thanked it.
Remember my car is 74. It could be some small diff with laters but same basic working system.

What the spring makes is, when reversing the motor, the spin sense change makes the outer cam pushing the spring (throught the internal wedge) then the inner cam to change the center of the assembly rotation ( center of the ratio ) and that makes to change the initial and ending sweep over the glass.

In fact when you turn off the wipers, the reverse mode begins and the wipers goes to top no matter where it was when it was on regular operation... TO THE NEW TOP, lower than the regular sweep and then parks down the hood, to the new low ending point of the sweep.

Is not a clutch, but a center changing assembly

I hope sounds clear. English is not my mother language

Last edited:
@Nacho-RT74
Thank you so much for your help and response! Looking in the Charger forum

Post #2 You said, "
Starting to assembly:

Baseplate and crank... fully greased.

VERY IMPORTANT PICS: Cam and outer piece with preload spring inserted, also fully greased. This pieces are upsided down to see the spring where goes... at this time I'm posting two pics about the only two ways to put the spring, first one is with spring ends at left side and the other one at right side of the outer plastic piece section. I have tried this to position to know with trial and error method about how really works, and found the first pic is apparently the right one. i have on this position oftenly an erratic wipers movement but an effective parking function. with springs ends on right side, I have a nice wipers without erratical movement but never parks down the hood... Maybe the second is the right one and I have something else wrong, but
???
. If somebody have better info about this, please post.

Spring 90º angled end rest again the inner piece of cam.

4th pic... Cam pieces and baseplate/crank assemblied view."

Then on POST #14 you corrected yourself,

"ATTENTION!!! it does look the preload spring is not mounted on any of these positions... does look the tab of the outer section of cam assembly sits IN THE MIDDLE of the spring arms. Dunno why and still can't find the logic on this spring position and what's it function, but I was making another test about and does look is on that way"

Could you clarify?

This confused me.

damn... you catched me... maybe I was wrong and it should be installed like you shown on your pic? with the wedge in between the spring legs ?

damn... way to long ago... and since I upgraded to 3 speeds can't recall how it goes now. I still have the parking cam assembled at "home", BUT I'm living in Spain since 2018 and my car is in parts since 2013 in Venezuela yet

Anyway At the end it was a trial and error. Patiente.

All I can say right now, assembly it on all the diff positions posibilities untill make it work. I made it on that way. Sorry if I'm not being really completely helpfull.

@Nacho-RT74

I agree with you. I don't see how the spring can grab if the wedge is in between the spring. I think it should be on the right side because during wiping the motor spins clockwise which would cause it to spring to grab the shaft. The cam needs to be longer at this time so it wipes the full window. Currently, mine wipes from park stop to about 3/4 of the windshield. I think I will have to do trial and error. I am hoping the NOS kit I purchased has some instructions in it but I don't think I will be that lucky. I have the official 1977 Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge Chassis and Electrical manuals but it only mentions the cam but says nothing of how to rebuild or install it. :mad:

It isn't that big of a deal to try the different positions. I am just scared of breaking the plastic/nylon bushing trying to pop it apart again and again. This is like the 3rd time I have had it apart! :(

the nylon parts are good enough to play with them. I never broken mine and I dissasembled it maybe 10 or 15 times ? My real problem was the spring washer loosing the tension and the center hole getting enlarged so the main link popped out of the center bushing quite often.

Per your description, your linkage is not reaching the full sweep position over the glass, so the cam assembly is not getting its regular operation position but is stuck on parking position.

The Outer cam can be also installed reversed!!! I mean, with the higher step edge to bottom side or to top side... as far I recall it goes on this way

Imagen 041.jpg

That "step" gets a small cut on one of the ends which allows the linkage to move further out of center without get stuck againts the step itself.

Will try to explain better myself if I find the way LOL... sorry

That is at least on my 74.

@Nacho-RT74
Yes, that is how I installed it. I tried 180 degrees out and still sweeps from park stop and it just parks 3/4 on the glass. I was so hoping that was my mistake.

Auto Transport Service
Back