• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Date Movies

Mackman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:55 PM
Reaction score
Which of you took a spouse to a movie on your 1st date, and which movie did you see?
My 1st wife- “The Valachi Papers”, lasted 10 miserable years.
2nd wife- “ The Bodyguard”, 30 fantastic years and counting.

In hindsight, I could not have made a worse choice. “The Godfather.” But it worked out. Still together, 50 years later.

Possibly not the first, but definitely the most memorable..... "Back to the Future"

I still enjoy watching it some 35 years later.

Imax planetarium but dang if I remember what it was.

18 years today.

Plus 3.5 years before the paperwork.

I knew she was "OK" when she carefully selected equal portions of chicken, lettuce, cheese, sauce, and tortilla on her fork at the gyro/wrap place we ate at.

Last edited:
Sort of.
Our first actual official date was a movie. I don't recall what it was and she doesn't either. I met her at work and 6 months in we were hanging out after work(bars, coworker's houses, friends houses) and were both very interested in each other.
The first date was mostly a formality in a way, I asked, kinda knew she would say yes but was chicken anyway, she did say yes, so we went out on Friday night to dinner and a movie.
Then we went back to hanging out ever since.

This was the late 90's so I am sure whatever it was, was terrible.

I said- "Equal portions. Nice. I do that all the time".

Our eyes locked.

Then the music started and someone turned on a disco ball.

When she found out I had a motorcycle she said-

"I wanna see that bad motor scooter".

I asked her if she knew where that came from and she told me Sammy Hagar.

Close enough and technically partially correct.

My wife to be was then a brand spanking new student visa immigrant from Saigon. Our first date - and actual first time of ever talking and seeing each other live - out to a little cafe in Little Saigon here in the LA area. Then I suggested a movie - she was excited to go - what did this idiot pick - “We were Soldiers when we were Young” w/Mel Gibson - if you recall it was about the first major, and one the bloodiest battles of the VN war. About 15 mins in I was shrinking down in my seat wondering what kind of idiot was I. Her father was nine yrs in the war and 2.5 in a concentration camp following it.

She’s never let me forget about that and never hesitates to tell others the story. That was 25 yrs ago - why I don’t know, but an Angel was looking out for me w/her from then on. It’s been pretty much bliss from then on.

My wife to be was then a brand spanking new student visa immigrant from Saigon. Our first date - and actual first time of ever talking and seeing each other live - out to a little cafe in Little Saigon here in the LA area. Then I suggested a movie - she was excited to go - what did this idiot pick - “We were Soldiers when we were Young” w/Mel Gibson - if you recall it was about the first major, and one the bloodiest battles of the VN war. About 15 mins in I was shrinking down in my seat wondering what kind of idiot was I. Her father was nine yrs in the war and 2.5 in a concentration camp following it.

She’s never let me forget about that and never hesitates to tell others the story. That was 25 yrs ago - why I don’t know, but an Angel was looking out for me w/her from then on. It’s been pretty much bliss from then on.
Good Movie, lousy date movie, especially considering the circumstances..

For me the movie brought back strong images from growing up... The taxi driver which was later replaced by a staff car... Trust me, you never want to see a staff car parked in your neighborhood...

It might have been ‘Patton’? Either way, she knew what she was getting; almost 54 yrs later.

West Side Story, Apr. '63. She was just 14 and I was still 15. Saturday afternoon showing, this was in the Bronx NY, and she had seen it once already. She wanted to see it again. We "went steady" for the next 4 1/2 years and got married. Just passed our 56th anniversary and she still wants to see it when on tv. I think she has a thing for Russ Tamblin aka RIFF.

Good Movie, lousy date movie, especially considering the circumstances..

For me the movie brought back strong images from growing up... The taxi driver which was later replaced by a staff car... Trust me, you never want to see a staff car parked in your neighborhood...
Three brothers in-country 68, 69, 70. I know the drill.

Auto Transport Service
Back