• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What got you into Mopars?

Found this photo of the first one in my life - dad’s ‘52 Dodge, with me, circa 1956.

3065D1A6-F928-4F3F-B272-7AF55A943836.jpeg

My Bro in law took my brother and I to Trenton air show in Ontario summer 1977 in a 71 Charger 440 pistol grip stick shift.
We highway raced a Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am and I remember seeing the 150 mph speedo needle getting up there a few times.
Never been that scared with a smile on my face the whole time.

I just wanted to be the fastest in town.
Back in the day...early 80s.... we used to race at teiegraph and west chicago
Anybody remember corvettts parking lot?
Someone must remember

My Dad, he was originally a Chevy guy but in 1976 ho bought a '66 Coronet 383 4bbl and never looked back. I still own the car.

Came home from hospital in a 62 Newport in 1964. Became the 1st cab in my parents' taxi business. 67 & 68 Fury 1s & 3s added to fleet, then dad bought a 66(???) Polara NJSP police interceptor. Then dad spoiled mom with Caddies. Sister's 1st car was 71 Charger, trans went, $300 to rebuild it, she didn't have cash, BUT I DID!! "REPOd" the Charger in 1981 & "GAVE HER THE PINTO, hey, she had to get to work ya know!! I'm not THAT heartless. :lol:

Born and raised in Pittsburgh Pa., but my mother is from east Tennessee. So summer vacations were spent there. She was a teacher so we would stay longer than a week, my dad would drive back and then come back down again later in the summer to pick us up.
She has a cousin who is married to a guy Rodger who has a 1968 Charger with all the 70s stuff, Cragers, air shocks fat and skinny tires side pipes, oh yeah! Then the Dukes of Hazzard, Dirty Larry, crazy Mary didn't hurt. Then my parents buy a '77 Gran Fury wagon, 400, (thermoquad with a air filter lid flip) and I learn to drive a couple years later and it's the older car.
There is also a lot of reading about the Ramchargers, and all the superstock packages, first time I saw a picture of a lift off hood car and the Mopar attitude to produce a car like this I was hooked.

Last edited:
I was born to be a Mopar guy. My grandfather sold them and my dad was parts manager at a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership. Gramps always had a new car in the driveway. He was a big NASCAR fan too. I remember sitting with him as the mopars ran away with the Daytona 500 in 1964.
My first car was a 59 Plymouth with 2-speed Powerflite coupled to a 318. Later the first new car I bought was a 70 GTX 440 automatic. I used to go to the dragraces in Houston Dragway. Very first night I raced I won my eliminator bracket. I raced there most of summer of 1975? until my brake line rubbed against the starter wire causing brakes to fail and a fire. That night ended my drag racing but not my love for Mopars.
I waited over 50 years but bought another great mopar, a 67 GTX with a cammed automatic 440, 4.10 rear and great custom paint job.

Someone must remember
You mean this parking lot? This is me and another member meeting up at the Korvettes parking lot a couple years ago. There was a call out on here for other members to join, but we were the only show ups. Still terrorized the streets like the old days, and vowed to do it again. Probably still will!

3C0F8B3B-8344-4FE7-BBC2-93D1A9FA29E2.jpeg

My dad gave me my first car. 1973 Charger SE with a non running 400. Told me if I could fix it, I could have it. So I did. Then hunted down a 440/6 and built it.

9C9B0161-8BC9-4502-BBA8-67A72CED347D.jpeg

549C6DCA-9763-4BDF-8989-E0E5C3128064.jpeg

Fast forward and my dad passed away in late February. He left me his boat(I don’t fish). Sold it And bought a 1973 SE Charger with a well massaged 383.

DD7378D8-24A0-4B06-A3E7-DEF1CFB41B71.jpeg

E47F013D-2C39-441C-BFE7-1ACF4D747E63.jpeg

Thanks Dad. Love you and miss you!

I always had a soft spot for Mopars though because there were a few guys in town that drove 68/9 Satellite/Road Runners and I thought they looked cool. Also I used to sit in the stairs to the garage and look at this. My uncle bought it new and sold it to my grandfather...

1968-coronet-convertible-01-M.jpg

1968-coronet-convertible-04-M.jpg

Don't burn me at the stake, but I don't consider myself "into Mopars". :eek: I was a Chevy guy in high school and I currently own a 69 Firebird 400, so I'm more of a Pontiac guy that is learning to speak Mopar. :moparsmiley:

By the way, I was the one that created that blue smiley/Mopar...:moparsmiley:

C pillars.
Yep, C pillars got me into Plymouths. Remember going to the big new car introductions - remember when it was a big deal and all the makers did it on the same day? - and seeing a 64 Plymouth 2 door hardtop [cant remember which trim ] and that roofline and C pillar really blew my little kilt up. Loved it. Still have the dealership brochure to this day in fact... Dad was looking for a new car and I did everything in my 4-almost-5-year-old-power to talk him into a Plymouth with that 'neat roof'. I failed. Dad was NOT a Mopar person. I liked the 64 Impala he bought, but that 64 Plymouth planted the seed.
THEN, about a year and a half later, our next door neighbour brought home a 65 Plymouth, 2 dr hdtp Belvedere II. It was black on black, 383/4 speed. Loved the looks of it. PLUS... it seemed almost every time Steve left the house, that car spun the rear tyres; so to my not quite 6 year old mind, that car HAD to be fast cause it always spun the tyres! Our friend/neighbour David had a cool 64 GTO that I really liked, but it almost never spun the tyres. So... I figgered that Plymouths MUST be faster... so I really started likin em! :)

Someone must remember

You mean this parking lot? This is me and another member meeting up at the Korvettes parking lot a couple years ago. There was a call out on here for other members to join, but we were the only show ups. Still terrorized the streets like the old days, and vowed to do it again. Probably still will!

View attachment 1543528
Why I changed? Because my Fords kept getting their ***’s kicked by Mopar’s on Telegraph in the late 70’s and early 80’s,
(Probably by Cosig or 440+6)
Cosig and I did meet out there a couple years ago and were hunting the route for the for those that wanted to take on the B bodies.
Would like to try to get a group together this next summer.
My 2 Fords is what made me go over to the dark side.

I don't remember many Mopars in our family other than a great aunt with a light blue 70's Dart - didn't excite me. Dad was a Ford guy and had mostly practical family vehicles. One uncle worked for GM - he drove mostly run-of-the-mill Chevy's as I recall - and another had a gold 69 or 70 GTO for a while which was cool. Coolest cars amongst my neighborhood friends were a 70 Impala convertible with a SB 400 and 68 or 69 Camaro RS/SS with a hopped up 350. I remember lots of GM muscle running around in our area growing up so those were my early influences.

I remember seeing a Superbird in our neighborhood a few times. Don't know if it "lived" there or was just visiting. I recall it being purple, but I have since learned that was not an available color so who knows. Definitely a 'Bird though, hard to miss that nose and wing. Another guy down the street had a red 68 or 69 Charger, but they got divorced shortly after moving in and the car was gone. Later a guy across the street had an early 70's Satellite Sebring - decent car, but no hot rod. I liked (still do!) the looks of all of them but didn't know much about them or the brand.

Buying this car in 1987 got me hooked on Mopars for good (one of our many Ford S/Ws in the background)
1987-001.jpeg

I got married. My future wife’s dad was a state trooper and to me, he looked like he could have been John Wayne’s brother or something. He drove a 70 Fury -440 and his personal car was a 70 roadrunner. Despite his gruff demeanor, he was really quite likable. I had 4 friends (we were all teenagers) come up for the wedding. The night before the wedding, us guys all went out and my father in law let me take the roadrunner.
A couple years later, we had a kid and was in need of a bigger car than our vw bug. Father in law found the last 71 on the lot and had it parked at his house, paperwork all ready to go on our new Satellite. Actually only owned one other mopar, but I drove a 74 Gran Fury, a 78 Fury, a 78 Monaco and then another 78 Fury, all 440s.

Auto Transport Service
Back