• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st new car

Great story, i wish i was older so i had stories like this in the muscle era but sadly all there is now is eco friendly cars with no power:(

Mine is a black 69 Super Bee coupe, tan buckets, red stripe which I still own w/ 66,000 on it. It was $3710 of rompin stomp automobile. It came fast in three weeks. We had lots of choices color, interior combos & colors, axle ratio etc. The only turmoil I had was upon deciding on an auto or 4spd, turns out I ordered it an auto day which along w/ the Carter AVS has not been worked on. I avoided the metallic colors because they were hard to match back then. Black was fine for an ambitious 22 year old but an extremely poor choice @60+
I wanted to limit to the hard cash I scrimped & saved because I had health problems back in the day. It got right down to the radio which I deleted because I was $$ short. I assume it was be one of the last Bees built in 69 because delivery date was May 21. Cars weren't as good back then but they were much more exciting

Last edited:
Mine is a black 69 Super Bee coupe, tan buckets, red stripe which I still own w/ 66,000 on it. It was $3710 of rompin stomp automobile. It came fast in three weeks. We had lots of choices color, interior combos & colors, axle ratio etc. The only turmoil I had was upon deciding on an auto or 4spd, turns out I ordered it an auto day which along w/ the Carter AVS has not been worked on. I avoided the metallic colors because they were hard to match back then. Black was fine for an ambitious 22 year old but an extremely poor choice @60+
I wanted to limit to the hard cash I scrimped & saved because I had health problems back in the day. It got right down to the radio which I deleted because I was $$ short. I assume it was be one of the last Bees built in 69 because delivery date was May 21. Cars weren't as good back then but they were much more exciting

Actually 1969s were made much later than that. My 1969 6 pack bee according to the V.I.N., K frame and carb dates was built in late June.

Do you have pictures of your car? If so you should post them for all to enjoy.

I don't know the cut off date for 69 Coronets but there weren't alot of SB built between mid May & end June. It would be interesting to know as another useless by nice fact to have. As you know towards the end of build out options sometimes become unavailable. I think my car is in the members section & is my Avatatar as well.

I don't know the cut off date for 69 Coronets but there weren't alot of SB built between mid May & end June. It would be interesting to know as another useless by nice fact to have. As you know towards the end of build out options sometimes become unavailable. I think my car is in the members section & is my Avatatar as well.

Member 69coronetrt here has a large data base of St. Louis built cars and I believe he has data supporting cars built into mid August of 1969.

I hope some of you will enjoy this story.... It's a true one. I apoligize for the length.

My summer, fall and winter of 1968 and into the spring of 1969 was spent keeping my head below the sandbags in South Viet Nam. I was able to convince my brother to send a car magazine now and then and dreamed about the Hemi GTX that was destined to be mine upon return to the world, (that means home to a GI). Well, I survived all the bad moons and returned home to Lincoln Park, (a downriver sub of Detroit) in March of 1969 where I was glad to be reunited with my trusty 1966 triple black Plymouth Satellite 383 4speed. My brother was in charge of it during my absence and had let his girl friend drive it who then rear ended another car. It was fixed when I got home except the front bumper, which was gone. Oh, well.
After a couple days of "hi... how are ya's" I headed to Downriver Chrysler/Plymouth in nearby Southgate Michigan. My dad had bought several Chryslers and Imperials there and I had always kept my eye on the car lot as many interesting machines would turn up on the lot.
I was excited at the thought of ordering the Hemi GTX and got hooked up with
ed Rushlow, a salesman who was more than happy to talk about it. I was working my way down the option list and the GTX was taking shape on the order pad. We were discussing tire size options when he located a memo in his in box on his desk. It was a one page sheet, new product bulletin and it outlined the A12 option on the Road Runner. He showed it to me and the list of equipment was impressive! Basicly a hemi car but with a 440 and three two bbl carbs. AND a NASCAR style lift off fiberglass hood with a scoop....... Whats THAT all about...? He didn't know either.
Just for curiosity we spec'ed one out and he quoted me a price. It came in around $1500.00 less then the Hemi GTX we had on paper!!! HUMMMmmmmmmmm..... now I had something to think about. A 440 with three 2BBLs in a Road Runner sounded like one bad *** car to me.
Asside from being my primary car I had visions of some racing at Detroit dragway and some street racing on Telegraph rd. and Woodward ave. (Although I think it was illegal to do that). I was familure with the high maintance the Hemi engine required to stay running well and so the multi carb 440 was sounding pretty good.
I left the order in limbo, told the salesman I had to think about it, and left. There was another Chrysler/Plymouth dealer, (Buckingham CP), not far away so I thought...... compare pricing.... I walked in, found a salesman, which is not that hard to do, and asked for a price quote on a Road Runner with a 440 3 2BBL engine. He looked at me like I was a Chevy guy and said..."you can't get a 440 in a Road Runner" It's a 383 or Hemi. He had not heard about the A12 package.
I was convinced, that got me fired up and I returned to the first dealership, found Ed and said, "sign me up"!
I ordered a 69 Road Runner coupe with the A12, automatic, all tinted glass in T5 bronze fire metallic with black interior.
There was a new fm radio station in Detroit at the time that played only rock music.... WABX..... the "Air Aces". I got to thinking and called the salesman later that evening and added a am/fm radio.
Then it began.... the wait. This was to be my first new car, ever! And I had no idea what I had ordered. There were no A12's at the dealership, no one I knew had seen, or even heard of one. The salesman didn't even have a picture. Nothing was ever said about the cars being built on only two dates and my car was scheduled for 4/26.... this was early March! It was agonizing...!
I did receive a call from the salesman at the second dealership I visited, (He had taken my contact info), sometime in late March. He had one on the showroom floor. I headed straight over there and WOW!!!!! It was awesome. My first incounter. It was a Ralley Green hardtop with a 4 speed and black vinyl top. It looked menicing with the black hood and huge scoop, redlines and no hub caps. He offered it to me and it was tempting but I decided to wait for the one I had ordered.
I got the call sometime in early May..... my Runner was here! I will never forget walking into the service area and seeing it just as it had been unloaded off the truck. It was to be prepped and I could get it the next day.
I got off work and went by the house. My dad and brother went with me to the dealership and as soon as we turned into the drive.... there it was, parked directly in front of the entrance to the showroom. BUT wait...... It has a set of Dodge dog dish hubcaps on it.... whats up with that....? Apparently the prep guys didn't know about the hubcap delete thing. They thought the factory had forgotten to put the caps in the car and so got a set of Dodge caps from the parts dept and put them on. I may have taken delivery of the only A12 to come with hub caps.... LOL.
The saga continues from there with many great and memoral times crusing the streets, Woodward ave, drive-ins, girls. It was a magic time and I wished I had been more aware of that then. It was a machine in a time that will never be duplicated.
Enjoy your A12's guys.... If ya have em...smoke em...!
This... is priceless. As a contemporary of yours, I was fortunate to have a high draft lottery during the Nam era. Lost a cousin there. I salute you & ALL Vietnam vets. I'm glad you had the enjoyment with the A12 you deserved.

Great car and story. I absolutely love sitting back and enjoy the stories and old pictures that some of the members share with us. Thanks for that and thanks for your service to our country.

Auto Transport Service
Back