• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need tips on a road trip to trailer a car back from California

Bring extra cargo and car ratchet straps. You'll be covered then for extra treasures you find and if the U-Haul straps fail.

My tips from many hours of trailering cars through WA, ID, OR, NV, CA, and AZ:

1. Don't drive 28 hours straight. Leave early and drive a long day on day one. You are fresh then, and it makes the second day easy when you are not.
2. To make good time, limit stops... which means limiting beverages. Try to only stop when fuel is needed.
3. Pack lunch and snacks and eat light = less stops and you don't get drowsy. It take a lot of energy to digest food. Have your big meal in the eve.
4. Extra chain and come-alongs: When you lose one trailer tire, there is a fair chance of losing the one next to it. You can use the chain to tie up the second axle and run with 3 tires until you get somewhere for a replacement.
5. Music!
6. Tripple-A card with motorhome/trailer service level.

And lastly, if you can get a buddy to share the time with, it's a lot more fun.

I’m sure you’ve already got the car by now, but I just bought a 1967 GTO in Milwaukee. With gas prices as high as they are, I did the math with trailer rental, hotel stays and food. Found it to be just a couple hundred dollars cheaper than flying out to check out the vehicle, then having the GTO shipped home (Scottsdale AZ).

About an hour ago, middle of the trip to cali from az, i see cars ahead of me swerving to avoid road gators, then 1/4 mi past that, is......

A guy towing a fox mustang on a U-haul trailer, with a completely destroyed trailer tire.

In the middle of the california desert.....

50 miles at least from the nearest tow

And more than a hundred miles from the nearest AAA office.

driver had a kinda forlorn look on his face.

We had the pleasure of doing 3 long road trips through the US since May of this year. I use Google Maps for my GPS. As previously mentioned, internet can be spotty and disrupt the GPS. You can download your trip on Google Maps in case this happens. It won't do your complete trip but will easily download a couple days of driving miles. I do this regularly especially if I'm traveling through isolated areas.

Geez things are getting expensive in the US!

Auto Transport Service
Back