• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need tips on a road trip to trailer a car back from California

Kobrak

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
So I'll be heading out from Alexandria MN to Hollister CA to retrieve the 1972 Dodge Charger I purchased last month. I'll be driving a 2018 Chevy 3500 Duramax. I have a car trailer rented from U-Haul that I will pick up in Hollister once there. Been a long time since I've done something like this so any input on what I should bring would be great!

So far I plan on packing a cooler full of sandwiches and beverages. I have my headset packed along with chargers for the phone and headset.

The trip on google maps shows about 28 hours. It shows three different routes, still not sure which one I'll take.

I'll have plenty of tie downs for the car.

Can't think of what else I might need??

We drove approximately 9-11 hours a day when we moved from Commiefornia to America, Texas. Took us 3 days, left Saturday morning and arrived Monday afternoon. And yes, I had my loudmouth with me.

If you plan on making the trip over several days, pick your stopping points ahead of time and secure places to stay for your overnights.

I'd check into renting your trailer local and taking it both ways, might be cheaper than a one-way out of california.
California to Texas rental is ten times as much as Texas to California.

Trailer speed limit in Cali is 55mph, even if car speed limit is 70 or 75.
MOST trailer traffic, semi's etc. travels around 62.
If your gonna speed in california, separate and lock your ammo and S&W, till you reach your destination in Cali.

I do long road trips all the time, 20-30hrs rounders with no stopping. My truck is old so I bring a bunch of spare parts, Alternator, belt, pullies, relays, wiring etc for repairs on the roadside if needed and a big bag of tools. Always carry two spare tires for the truck, and have one spare for the trailer. Bring an infrared point and shoot thermometer to check your hub and tire temperatures...truck and trailer.

I'd check into renting your trailer local and taking it both ways, might be cheaper than a one-way out of california.
California to Texas rental is ten times as much as Texas to California.
I thought about it, but then I was also thinking of the better mileage on the way out??

A good old fashioned AAA card can save your butt when you're least expecting it.

And a new Road Atlas for when you can't get a good cell signal or bad weather scrambles your cell phone.....real road maps are not affected by bad weather.

Keep an eye on the sky and have a safe trip!!!!

:thumbsup:

I thought about it, but then I was also thinking of the better mileage on the way out??
Fair enough. My diesel pickup loses next to nothing, mileage wise, towing empty. But I have a light little open trailer, and I am aware that the U-haul trailers are heavy pigs, and will weigh your truck down a bit, even empty.
You could do a mileage estimate and compare that cost to the difference in price of a two-way.
(Most of my towing is in california, and traveling with the trailer empty at 62mph, actually gets better mileage than driving without the trailer at 75mph).

So I'll be heading out from Alexandria MN to Hollister CA to retrieve the 1972 Dodge Charger I purchased last month. I'll be driving a 2018 Chevy 3500 Duramax. I have a car trailer rented from U-Haul that I will pick up in Hollister once there. Been a long time since I've done something like this so any input on what I should bring would be great!

So far I plan on packing a cooler full of sandwiches and beverages. I have my headset packed along with chargers for the phone and headset.

The trip on google maps shows about 28 hours. It shows three different routes, still not sure which one I'll take.

I'll have plenty of tie downs for the car.

Can't think of what else I might need??

I picked up a 64 Polara droptop in Hollister earlier this year. Are you headed to Bolsa Rd? Might be the same Mopar guy. I'm curious if you are ready to drive away with an empty trailer if it doesn't meet your expectations. That is always one of my criteria if I haven't inspected the car in person. And don't forget to call your insurer before hitting the road home.

I picked up a 64 D100 in North Carolina, and got the Uhaul trailer there. I then dropped it off at our local Uhaul in PA. I think I paid a $45 restocking fee. I know that's not California, but be prepared.
I also took what previous posters mentioned and added my booster box, hand winch and small air compressor.

Yep tire condition and tire direction.
If it looks like Marty Feldman, see if there's another trailer to choose from
1694628569598.png
> " HEY !! I resemble that remark ! "

Inspect the trailer tires, I do not believe you get a get a spare with the rental, they will want you to call for assistance if you get a flat. A real paper road atlas or paper maps of your route, not digital. As you are renting a U-haul trailer plot on your paper map the route showing U-haul locations that rent trailers and 24 hr tire service centers. Try to route your trip with the least road construction as uneven pavement is a trailer tire killer. A flashlight, air tank, hazard triangles, fire extinguisher and tools.

Auto Transport Service
Back