• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000 Dakota PS leak issue

YY1

Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
I've had a very minor leak for some time now.

Last month it got worse. Went from nickel size spot to tuna can lid size.

The only thing I could see wet, as the return hose by the pump.

Replaced it and still leaks.

The only thing I can feel wet is the bottom of the pump.

My brother suggested the "O" ring. I'm assuming on the line to fitting.

I took out the line and the O ring looks like it's a special flat one.

Can I buy this separate?

I'm not totally convinced this is the cause, as the bottom of the fitting wasn't really wet, especially compared to the bottom of the pump. I think it may be the pump, but I'd rather try the O ring first due to cost and labor.

Thanks.

Check your local parts store. I just Googled "2000 Dakota power steering pump seal kit" and they're out there.

I saw that on rockauto, but didn't see anything abut the o rings on the lines, although the hoses/lines they list do specify the o ring size.

Those seals might come with the hose only. You could take the o ring to NAPA or whoever is in your area and try to match it up.

Make sure you have both of the wrenches that they never sell in a metric set.. 16mm and an 18mm These are must have wrenches for a 2000 Dakota PS pump lines.

Ive had this issue many times. ive had 5 dakotas/durangos that all leaked. that pump is a saginaw type and it fits many vehicles, including alot of GM stuff. when you buy a pump from NAPA or what have you, sometimes they have extra blind holes in the back of the reservoir to accommodate for the different styles of mounting bracket. the little plastic plugs they use to cover the holes will leak bad. if yours has those, probably where it is leaking. those O rings are also a pain and the fitting is sorta hard to get to. if it is the return line, that is only held on by a clamp.

Yep on the wrenches.

16 is also the oil drain plug, so I've had that one for a while.

I did just buy an 18 though after trying half a dozen on that fitting and deducing the size by process of elimination.

It sure doesn't help that you can only get 1/16th of a turn on it while the pump is mounted.

I looked at a replacement line and the O rings looked "regular", so I put one on and so far so good.

I should know over night.

The one I took off must have been mega deformed!

Do they make a seal kit for the rack? I know they don't for the 95 Dakota and you have to replace the whole freaking rack.....but I do have a 2000 Durango too.

Auto Transport Service
Back