• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2012 ram 2500

tom jaffeux

Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score
Just noticed my ram is leaking a little coolant around the time in chain cover I would like to know do you have to remove the oil pan to get the cover off? I was hoping if someone here I’ve done this before. Thanks, Tom.

What kind of fuel does it run on.

Change the water pump.

Yep, change the water pump. Lay your new one on a piece of cardboard and trace around it and mark your holes. Then put the bolts in the cardboard holes as you remove them. Reason is, the bolts are different length. And there is 13 of them. This makes it a lot easier to reinstall. A/C compressor bracket on top needs to be unbolted so you can set it back out of the way.look closely because there are 3 bolts. It turned out not to be the water pump itself but the O ring type gasket they use. It took me 2 evenings to do the one on my 05 Ram. Yes, I put a new pump on even though it was only the rubber gasket. What a job.

Thanks for the input I have the new water pump and new thermostat and antifreeze I noticed today the drips are coming from the timing cover not the water pump so looks like the oil pan and front of the engine is coming apart. All day Saturday job. Fun lol

Not so fast. There is a O ring on the heater hose tube on the water pump also that will leak down and appear to be coming from the timing chain cover. Just trying to save you some work. Not sure what the timing chain cover has to do with the coolant. Inspect real good before you go through all that trouble. Good luck.

Last edited:
What the hell. I will check that tomorrow. Thanks for that information

Mine puzzled me also. I had coolant dripping down onto the front of the oil pan rail and dripped from the back of the engine. Hell I thought the freeze plug on the back of the engine was the culprit. Nope, just under the bottom of the water pump is where I finally found the leak.

Yeah timing chain would have oil in it, not coolant...it's coming from somewhere else, and just running down the cover.

Example - my cummins is leaking coolant from the steering brace. Wait. No. It's leaking from the water pump, and it just runs down to the brace before it drips off the truck.

Leak all fix it was the timing cover gasket where the coolant runs from the engine to the water pump (see picture the flat area on the gasket is where it was leaking at. I want to head and replace the water pump and the clutch fan while everything was off. It was a big job.

98C9A9B1-1A55-45A4-8F44-37A723B5E9AA.jpeg

0A6A8D2F-F411-4B07-87A9-0A6C21981FCD.jpeg

I’ll be damn. You were right. I never would have thought the timing chain cover would have been the problem. Good job.

Thanks. Only issue with these rams are the fan shroud if you are not careful the plastic junk will break

Auto Transport Service
Back